Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about the old school ball bearing trigger job--NOT the drop in trigger kit

Questions about the old school ball bearing trigger job--NOT the drop in trigger kit

My friend has a 6" .38 Special K--frame that looks like it was set up for PPC by his police armorer grandfather and it has the fabled ball bearing trigger job, nothing slides, it just rolls.

It is perfection. It makes grown men go wide eyed and say in shock and a quiet voice "I didnt know this was possible."
    Teflon on teflon with liquid teflon and sorcery. No real break-it just stops moving at the end of the pull.

I NEED this on my 625-6.

Two questions:

1) Where can my smith find some info on how to do this?

2) How much should something like this cost? A knowledgeable fiend was guessing $1200 at a minimum.

Thanks in advance.

In today's round of "Typo or not?":
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    A knowledgeable fiend was guessing $1200 at a minimum.
    On topic, I am unfamiliar with this type of trigger job, but would like to hear more.
    (I don't need a custom revolver, I don't need a custom revolver, I don't need...)
    Last edited by Drang; 07-22-2017 at 05:32 PM. Reason: clarity
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

He's a been a friend for almost 25 years, but he's a ginger bastard who got me lusting after perfection, so I'm sticking with "fiend."

And Drang, you DO need a custom revolver.

Decades ago, a Colt Python guru named Walt Sherman did a ball-bearing conversion on certain DA revolvers. It was smooth, but it had it's own problems and didn't offer any practical advantages over the traditional methods of smoothing revolver actions. There was one other guy known for doing these conversions but my memory is just failing me in coming up with his name.

More recently, I think I read somewhere that Dave Lauck (D&L Sports) did a roller-bearing conversion of some kind.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

I handled a roller trigger S&W years ago that was in the Cylinder and Slide booth at a big match. I was nice, but not as nice as a Randy Lee trigger job.

Years ago I saw a real Sherman roller Colt. It was great when it rolled, but every once in a while it would skid and really throw you off. A friend has one of those C&S roller kits. Good, but no better than a good conventional action job.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I'd run query that past Hamilton Bowen.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I'd run query that past Hamilton Bowen.

Okie John
    Good idea, sir. I sent them an email. Thank you.

Just a reminder, as the thread title states I am not asking about pre-made trigger groups.

Also, my gunsmith is an old school perfectionist who does an excellent "polish all internals, replace all springs" trigger job. I doubt I'm going to be to do better work on paper with any trigger other than the one I have on my 17-4 that he worked over.

This has nothing to do with practicality.

The very polite and prompt Mr. Bowen sent me a reply pre-dawn today. He said I should contact Power Custom and Cylinder and Slide.

User Tag List