Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mounting a MOLLE pouch on top of an M4 FastMag pouch.

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    Also, we've got some weird policies on gear. We must use the issued soft body armor, panels and carrier for ops. Plates and carrier are optional, but if used you must use the issued one's. While too bulky, and obvious for anything other than a planned arrests/entry, they do have MOLLE.

The Soft carriers are fine, as it's black, and coupled with a black shirt, in a car with tinted windows, it's not obvious you're a cop in body armor. However, there's no MOLLE attachments at all so there's no low MOLLE to keep stuff out of sight.
    Gotcha, I see how that can complicate it.

Are you able to use a velocity systems (formerly mayflower) low-pro cummerbund on your soft vest? They make low-pro elastic cummerbunds with pouches built in. I use it on my overt vest and carry my baton and radio in them to keep them tight so I don't have them hanging off the outside on pouches. Even if they don't make that cummerbund any longer, you could still buy the standard low-pro elastic one and mate some BFG ten-speed pouches onto it. Even if you were to get your radio up there off your belt, it could help free up some space.

It sounds like a VS LPAC would be a great option for the work you're doing, but given your restrictions on gear if you can make the cummerbund work with your current soft vest then that might be a workable compromise.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Thanks, I'm looking for what you're describing but only found this: https://www.blueforcegear.com/cuff-belt-pouch

That is a Helium Whisper attachments.

That is the one that was thinking about though it will only accommodate one pair of cuffs.

Thanks, I'm looking for what you're describing but only found this: https://www.blueforcegear.com/cuff-belt-pouch

That is a Helium Whisper attachments.

This is what I was referring to:
    https://www.blueforcegear.com/boo-boo-pouch.html

I've had it on my duty belt for a while. No complaints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Also, we've got some weird policies on gear. We must use the issued soft body armor, panels and carrier for ops. Plates and carrier are optional, but if used you must use the issued one's. While too bulky, and obvious for anything other than a planned arrests/entry, they do have MOLLE.

The Soft carriers are fine, as it's black, and coupled with a black shirt, in a car with tinted windows, it's not obvious you're a cop in body armor. However, there's no MOLLE attachments at all so there's no low MOLLE to keep stuff out of sight.
    Actually it not weird. Body armor is tested and certified as a system, panels and carriers together. Even though it should work fine in another carrier is is not guaranteed so it becomes a liability issue for both the agency and the manufacturer.

Counld you either have a band of Molle sewn onto the lower part or the soft carrier or sew on two fastex buckets for a mayflower type clip on rig ?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Actually it not weird. Body armor is tested and certified as a system, panels and carriers together. Even though it should work fine in another carrier is is not guaranteed so it becomes a liability issue for both the agency and the manufacturer.
    I think I'm spoiled by our flexibility.....
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I think I'm spoiled by our flexibility.....
    If you are using soft armor cut to one of the standard .MIL cuts like BALCS it would likely be easier to say it was compatible.

We have the same policy as DMF though not everyone follows it. I see guys with aftermarket external soft armor carriers.

Our soft armor program is on point. Our new soft armor external carriers have plate pockets and a drag handle which are big improvements.

Our HQ units used to be able to buy things like carriers, plates etc independent of our national firearms and tactics uni so our plates and plate carriers were purchased separately. Everyone gets 10x12" plates which would be a "medium" but they last batch was issued with carriers for size large plates. Nice TYR carrier but the plates sit a couple inches lower than they should. Retradery like this is why everything now has to be purchased by the national FTU now.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I understand, and agree with, your point about the panels, but not the carrier. On an earlier iteration of out body armor, I bought a different carrier (from the same manufacturer who made the issued carrier), and used a MOLLE vest similar to this, over it all: http://www.511tactical.com/vtac-lbe-tactical-vest.html

The color matched our gear, and I attached our markings which I removed from the issued carrier. It worked great, and a couple other people switched to the same setup. The first line supervisors verbally approved it, but when senior management decided to weigh in, they stated we must go back to The crappy issued carrier.
    Counld you either have a band of Molle sewn onto the lower part or the soft carrier or sew on two fastex buckets for a mayflower type clip on rig ?
    That's a good idea, and I will see if there is anything in the policies that would prohibit that.
    Last edited by DMF13; 07-22-2017 at 10:03 PM.

Site Supporter
    I understand, and agree with, your point about the panels, but not the carrier. On an earlier iteration of out body armor, I bought a different carrier (from the same manufacturer who made the issued carrier), and used a MOLLE vest similar to this, over it all: http://www.511tactical.com/vtac-lbe-tactical-vest.html

The color matched our gear, and I attached our markings which I removed from the issued carrier. It worked great, and a couple other people switched to the same setup. The first line supervisors verbally approved it, but when senior management decided to weigh in, they stated we must go back to The crappy issued carrier.
    Counld you either have a band of Molle sewn onto the lower part or the soft carrier or sew on two fastex buckets for a mayflower type clip on rig ?[/QUOTE]That's a good idea, and I will see if there is anything in the policies that would prohibit that.[/QUOTE]

How the carrier holds the panels can affect how the panels perform. This is why they are ( or at least are supposed to be) tested as a system. This regulation may have come from your NFTU (what ever they call themselves) or it may have been part of the contract for the armor, or both.

Wearing seperate load carrier like the one you linked over your soft armor should not affect the performance of your soft armor as long as it in its native carrier.

As I said using an aftermarket carrier "should" be fine but if there is a failure, the manufacturer and your agency will use the aftermarket carrier to absolve themselves of liability or responsibility. They are thinking about the lowest common denominator.

Another option for your situation is to simply wear your raid armor, get an oversized button up shirt and make a surveillance shirt out of it. You get a shirt about 2 sizes up, make a cut striaight up the back and have a seamstress sew strips of Velcro along the cut in the back. You sit in the car with the buttoned up front over the front of your armor and the back open. You can strip it off to the front surprisingly fast as or before you get out of the car.
    Last edited by HCM; 07-22-2017 at 10:27 PM.

User Tag List