Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Article on Training Priorities

good read, thanks.

Good information in that article. I look for training that focuses on what is probable over what is possible. I spend my practice time on those skills.

The information you wrote about clearly identifies what kind of fight a person is likely (probably) to encounter.
    I Miss America

i'm largely self taught. i listen to others when they have something useful to say (besides "you missed"), and absorb what is relevant to me. i've been shooting IDPA for about 3 years now, and have learned a lot. i doubt i'll ever win any sanctioned match, and that's ok with me. I go for the fun, the chance to shoot with friends, and to build my confidence and increase my proficiency with my pistols. i don't have to wonder "can i make that shot", i know i can now. and i do practice on my own, about once a month, in addition to shooting 2 matches each month. you only get better by paying attention and by practicing.

I actually bought that issue of Handgunner because of that article Tom. It's damn good advice packed into a pretty short read.

Do you contribute to AH regularly or was that article a one shot deal?

Site Supporter
    I don't have a monthly gig with American Handgunner, but write when I have time. The editor has two more articles of mine slated to be in issues over the next couple of months.

Thanks for the kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Even in one's bedroom, if the AR or shotgun isn't immediately at one's bedside, what are the chances that one will have the opportunity in the heat of the moment to run back to the walk-in closet and grab that long gun to bring to bear?

I suppose I could send the missus back to retrieve it but her job is to fall back to an agreed upon location where she is to call the local constabulary and sit on the floor with a .357 with which she is to defend herself if anyone attempts to intrude without first being identified as a friendly.

Short of putting my AR (or 870) alongside the bed every night, I'd probably have to deal with any immediate threat with my light bearing G17 and extra mags. And I'm pretty much fine with that.

I think the AR in the nearby closet and the ear muffs / eye pro on the nightstand are more talisman than practical solutions in the particular instance described.
    I don't want to sidetrack this thread on Tom's excellent article in AH, but if I get a chance later I might start a new thread on the notion of a home defense long gun, and get some different perspectives.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Great article! My wife is sick and slept most of the day- which has given me plenty of time to read your other articles, which took me to Claude Werner, which turned in Mas Ayoob, etc.
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

Site Supporter
    Excellent article, Tom. The point about context is gold and sadly, often willfully ignored by consumers of firearms training. Your example of "average" vs "typical" should be another takeaway for the reader. Use of the correct words in the context of use of force, especially in the aftermath, is important as well.

That's a good article Mr. Givens.

One aspect of the carbine class is that you can leaving feeling like a freakin' rock star. Most of those classes are 100yds and in, and an AR-15 is stupid easy to shoot at that range. After a full day of putting hate downrange you'll leave feeling like you can own any defensive situation.

Contrast that with Southnarc's ECQC class, which is much more applicable to the "typical shootings" your 70 students have experienced, and you'll leave with a head full of things you badly need to improve on because you've fucked up and had all your weaknesses exposed, and then been coached on how to fix them.

The first makes you feel safer, the latter makes you actually safer.
    Last edited by Lester Polfus; 07-23-2017 at 12:15 AM. Reason: typo
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    That's a good article Mr. Givens.

One aspect of the carbine class is that you can leaving feeling like a freakin' rock star. Most of those classes are 100yds and in, and an AR-15 is stupid easy to shoot at that range. After a full day of putting hate downrange you'll leave feeling like you can own any defensive situation.

Contrast that with Southnarc's ECQC class, which is much more applicable to the "typical shootings" your 70 students have experienced, and you'll leave with a head full of things you badly need to improve on because you've fucked up and had all your weaknesses exposed, and then been coached on how to fix them.

The first makes you feel safer, the latter makes you actually safer.
    Truth!

User Tag List