I like the article and think it is spot on. The rifle is a better "tool" as in power and range but the handgun is what you have with you. I think one should be proficient with all firearms that you plan to use whether its for self defense, duty, or hunting. For the majority, the handgun is carried the most and usually require more training to be proficient with compared to the rifle such as the AR15. The rifle is handicapped by some to limited training to 25 yards as has already been mentioned and is certainly capable of much more than that.

Also handgun training is handicapped by some to limiting distances inside of 25 yards, while some would only train at 7 or 10 yards. These are certainly important distances to train at, but even the handgun can be much more capable than that. I spend a fare amount of time extending the typical range of the handgun because I may have to. If I have to, I want to be able to finish the fight at 50, 75 or even 100 yards with the handgun because that is what I have with me. If I have time to go back and get the rifle maybe I wouldn't have to fight because I'm out of that situation unless I was required by duty.