Thread: S&W M&P M2.0 W/ Apex Tactical Trigger Goodies.

S&W M&P M2.0 W/ Apex Tactical Trigger Goodies.

Heya guys,

Here we are in 2017 and ive come full circle. The first pistol I purchased in 2008 was a Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm. Since then ive basically tried every popular duty pistol available to me and well, here I am back at the beginning.

I run a Glock for work and am stuck running a Glock for work probably until the day I retire. My agency will never move away from that pistol platform as they are firm believers that it is the "best" and that it can do no wrong.

Despite this fact, I have made the decision for numerous reasons to not shoot the Glock in competition mostly due to the fact that the grip angle severely irritates my tendinitis which i have been dealing with since 2011. I find that any gun but the Glock is far more gentle on my wrists and finger tendons.

Initially, upon release of the M2.0 I laughed and said "is this really the best that you can do Smith?" The trigger was still horrendous albeit improved over the generation one guns but at the time I didnt really see any significant improvements to the platform. I found the texture to be nice but way too grippy for concealed carry. I found the forward slide serrations to be absolutely useless. I found it even further perplexing that they had decent forward serrations on their .45's yet opted for those small, teeny little things on the M2.0 that are made useless by the bulge in the frame behind them. I found the removal of the beavertail to be odd as I wasn't sure why they had gone down that route.

Fast forward to three weeks ago. A good buddy of mine picked up an M&P M2.0 and handed it to me on one of our range days. Long story short, I saw value in the pistol for MY needs.

1. The frame texturing that I found too harsh for concealed carry would be perfect for a competition pistol. For duty, I believe that it would probably tear the shit out of your uniforms so i'm on the fence about that one and for me, its a non issue as I will never be able to carry this thing.
    2. The trigger, in stock form at almost six pounds was very, very shootable. You can still feel the striker block but its not gargantuan sized, pronounced hitch, only an annoyance.
    3. The forward serrations are still useless.
    4. The beavertail or lack thereof is actually very nice and you can really choke up on the gun quite a bit.
    5. The undercut to the trigger guard is fantastic and wont produce massive blisters like the gen 1 guns or..cough...a Glock...
    6. The articulated trigger still annoys me and I really do believe that there are better design choices out there, ala the Apex Polymer Trigger shoe but in the grand scheme of things, ill make this work until Smith pulls their heads out of their asses. I still believe that the articulated trigger is probably the worst designed trigger shoe ever conceptualized for a duty grade handgun.

Fast forward to today and I am sitting here dry firing an M2.0. I also picked up some Apex goodies throw into the pistol as I know the results that the parts are capable of producing.

The pistol measured 5 lbs 12 ounces after 70 rounds and countless dry fires.

I installed the Apex Tactical USB first as I wanted to smooth out the horrid hitch in the trigger. After the installation, the trigger weight measured 5 lbs 8 ounces.

Next up, I installed the Apex Tactical .45 cal Hard Sear. The pull weight measured 4 lbs 2 ounces.

I also purchased the competition spring pack but I have yet to install any of those parts. I believe that with the installation of the sear spring from the competition pack i will be under four pounds and that to me is an ideal competition trigger pull weight.

For those of you looking for a duty style carry trigger, installation of the USB with the factory striker block spring (not the one included with the Apex kit) should yield roughly a five pound pull or slightly under that mark.

All in all, the nice thing about the M&P Is that it is very easy to work on and via Apex, we have a means to produce some VERY consistent results in regard to improving the triggers. The parts are drop in and extremely reliable as I have cases upon cases of ammo fired through gen 1 M&P's with Apex components. I have zero doubts that the M2.0 will be just as reliable but time will tell.

Here's to hoping the accuracy issues are actually sorted out. So far so good but ill check back after a few hundred rounds to see how the pistol groups. I wanted to post this as I believe its been a while since anyone has documented results regarding pull weights with these guns.

Shot the 2.0 yesterday for the first time, probably 25 RDS. Skill on demand was very good, more forgiving than my Glock

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

I saw M&P 2.0s are for sale at Grabagun.com under the clearance section.

429.00 for the 9mm.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Site Supporter
    I was been working with my mp45 2.0 for the last few months as I try to shoot down some 45 inventory. So far I think the trigger on this is so much improved I have even given a thought to changing it. It's ever bit as good as the apex fss I had in my 1.0. I'm closing in on my 2000 rd challenge with just a few ammo related hiccups.

Installation of the Apex reduced power sear spring brought the trigger pull weight down to 3 lbs 14 ounces Very cool.

The M&P 2.0 has a shorter striker spring as per Apex so their current competition striker spring wont remove any pull weight.
    Last edited by Magsz; 07-24-2017 at 04:30 PM.

I have 5 M&P's, all with full Apex kits. 4 of the 5 are carry pistols, and I they break at just over 4lbs. The 5th is an M&P Pro, with the Apex FSS kit, and it breaks at a hair under two pounds. With the Apex competition spring, it's more like 3lbs, but using the M&P stock spring drops the trigger weight dramatically.

I agree that the APEX trigger is definitely needed for the first generation of M&P's, but I actually don't have any issues with the M2.0 trigger.

Not saying that the APEX trigger isn't still an upgrade from the M2.0, but it's definitely not as big of an upgrade as you're going to have from the first gen.

User Tag List