Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Differences Between Gold Dot 9mm 124 gr +P and God Dot 9m 124 gr +P Short Barrel

I'm confused.

Wouldn't over-expansion cause LESS penetration?
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I'm confused.

Beats me-I agree, that would make sense, but I'm just repeating what the Speer rep emailed to me. Verbally, I'd heard the same over-penetration issue with the Short Barrel stuff in my Beretta 92 4.9" barrel when I spoke with one of their reps on the phone earlier.

Best, Jon

If this recently uploaded video is any indication of current Gold Dot performance, a little extra velocity may not be a bad thing

That test seems very reasonably approached. While the number of rounds fired to come to their conclusions would probably come under scrutiny, I think from a common-sense standpoint they're likely correct.

I wonder if the Speer rep that responded by email to me accidentally used "over-expanded" when he meant "under-expanded," which instinctively, as Lester pointed out, makes more sense.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    That test seems very reasonably approached. While the number of rounds fired to come to their conclusions would probably come under scrutiny, I think from a common-sense standpoint they're likely correct.

I wonder if the Speer rep that responded by email to me accidentally used "over-expanded" when he meant "under-expanded," which instinctively, as Lester pointed out, makes more sense.

Best, Jon
    Well, if it over expanded to the point the petals sheared off, that would also make it over penetrate too...

Dunno.

Weird.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I've re-queried Speer on this seeming contradiction specifically, and will report their response. I'm a bit puzzled too (but I won't be using the Short Box fodder in my Beretta 92 for anything but practice...).

Best, Jon

I'm confused.

Well, if it over expanded to the point the petals sheared off, that would also make it over penetrate too...

Dunno.

Weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I've re-queried Speer on this seeming contradiction specifically, and will report their response. I'm a bit puzzled too (but I won't be using the Short Box fodder in my Beretta 92 for anything but practice...).

Best, Jon
    When driven faster than designed, Gold Dots are well known for "over-expanding" to the point that the petals fold back against the bullets base to the point that it actually reduces the mean frontal diameter. This results in the bullet overpenetrating.

A prime example is when the .40 caliber Gold Dots are used in full power 10mm loads. You often get rapid shallow expansion with the petals folded against the base resulting in a .40-.50 caliber projectile that penetrates well past 20 inches. Ironically, the same bullet pushed at more moderate 40SW velocities results in ideal, controlled expansion over the first 10" of tissue / get out to a mean diameter of .60+ caliber, and ideal penetration between 12-20". Not to mention there is significantly less recoil, flash, and wear on the gun...
    Last edited by Sensei; 07-24-2017 at 08:02 PM.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    When driven faster than designed, Gold Dots are well known for "over-expanding" to the point that the petals fold back against the bullets base to the point that it actually reduces the mean frontal diameter. This results in the bullet overpenetrating.

A prime example is when the .40 caliber Gold Dots are used in full power 10mm loads. You often get rapid shallow expansion with the petals folded against the base resulting in a .40-.50 caliber projectile that penetrates well past 20 inches. Ironically, the same bullet pushed at more moderate 40SW velocities results in ideal, controlled expansion over the first 10" of tissue / get out to a mean diameter of .60+ caliber, and ideal penetration between 12-20". Not to mention there is significantly less recoil, flash, and wear on the gun...
    That all makes sense. I always thought the nuclear 10mm Gold Dot loads were dumb. I'd be happy if Speer came out with a 10mm Gold Dot load that was in the 40ish power range. Then I could carry that back and forth from the back country, and put the rhino roller hard casts in at the trail head.

Thanks.

That all makes sense. I always thought the nuclear 10mm Gold Dot loads were dumb. I'd be happy if Speer came out with a 10mm Gold Dot load that was in the 40ish power range. Then I could carry that back and forth from the back country, and put the rhino roller hard casts in at the trail head.

Thanks.
    Your welcome.

I'd be interested in a 200 grain 10mm Gold Dot load that could be pushed at 1000-1100 fps to expand to .55-.60 cal and penetrate the deep side of 16-22" after common intermediate barriers. That would be a 10mm round worth the extra size over 9mm/40SW for an outdoorsman who ventures beyond the lower 48; a B+ round for 2 and 4-legged beasts while not having quite the recoil of a full-powered Norma load.

For backpacking in Alaska I'd prefer deeper penetration than the typical 14" that you get out of a 180 grain GDHP going 950 fps.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Thanks.
    Hornady's 10mm Critical Duty may be of interest to you:

http://www.hornadyle.com/products/ha...75-gr-flexlock
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List