Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Differences Between Gold Dot 9mm 124 gr +P and God Dot 9m 124 gr +P Short Barrel

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Hornady's 10mm Critical Duty may be of interest to you:

http://www.hornadyle.com/products/ha...75-gr-flexlock
    Interestingly (well, to me), on a parallel plane, my alternative co-choice Beretta 92 9mm DocGKR vetted cartridge is Hornady's 135 gr +P Critical Duty.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Your welcome.

I'd be interested in a 200 grain 10mm Gold Dot load that could be pushed at 1000-1100 fps to expand to .55-.60 cal and penetrate the deep side of 16-22" after common intermediate barriers. That would be a 10mm round worth the extra size over 9mm/40SW for an outdoorsman who ventures beyond the lower 48; a B+ round for 2 and 4-legged beasts while not having quite the recoil of a full-powered Norma load.

For backpacking in Alaska I'd prefer deeper penetration than the typical 14" that you get out of a 180 grain GDHP going 950 fps.
    In .40, for AK field use, I would go with the Underwood load with the Lehigh extreme penetrator bullet, 140 grains at 1,200 fps. It is a purpose built penetrating load that feeds reliably in a wide range of pistols we have tried it in. I am not confident .40 JHP will get through the skull of a brown bear.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Your welcome.

I'd be interested in a 200 grain 10mm Gold Dot load that could be pushed at 1000-1100 fps to expand to .55-.60 cal and penetrate the deep side of 16-22" after common intermediate barriers. That would be a 10mm round worth the extra size over 9mm/40SW for an outdoorsman who ventures beyond the lower 48; a B+ round for 2 and 4-legged beasts while not having quite the recoil of a full-powered Norma load.

For backpacking in Alaska I'd prefer deeper penetration than the typical 14" that you get out of a 180 grain GDHP going 950 fps.
    Exactly. That's sort of what I was hoping we'd get with Federal's Trophy Bonded load: a bullet designed with 10mm in mind, going for the deep side of penetration, but that wasn't what we got.

The 200 grain XTP is a decent hunting bullet and will get you that kind of penetration and expansion, but the technology is long in the tooth and won't get you the intermediate barrier penetration.

I'm guessing the market just isn't there for a modern, 200 grain, barrier blind dual purpose 10mm bullet. The round has enjoyed a renaissance of late, but its largely among people who are doing goofy shit like carrying it for their CCW loaded with 135 grain bullets going at crazy speeds because "energy dump."

The Glock 20 mags are currently stuffed with 175 Grain Critical duty for general purpose carry.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Interestingly (well, to me), on a parallel plane, my alternative co-choice Beretta 92 9mm DocGKR vetted cartridge is Hornady's 135 gr +P Critical Duty.

Best, Jon
    That's my alternative 9mm choice as well. The primary is 147 grain HST, but I like knowing my gun will run with more than one type of carry ammo, in case of supply problems.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

In 2006 I chrongraphed my NYPD issued Speer GD 124+P from my 3913. Elevation was about 2000ft, five shots Average 1168 ES 66.7

Speer again got back to me on a very timely basis (kudos to them); what they said was,

"Jon, the longer the barrel the faster the barrel till it reaches the maximum powder burn, then you will lose velocity. So the answer is that you will get get really similar velocities in both rounds, out of the same barrel lengths. You just get proper expansion in the short barrel (My note-I think here he's referring specifically to the Short Barrel 124 gr +P cartridge-Jon) when shot out of a short barrel weapon, You can get over penetration from under and over expansion. If you under expand the bullet doesn't open fully and you get over expansion (My note-I think here what he actually meant to say was "over penetration," not "over expansion"-Jon) If you over expand the bullet will lay back over itself and give you a smaller diameter, which leads to over penetration."

I hope my parenthetical comments are correct, and not misinterpreting or muddling what the Speer Rep was saying.

The Speer Rep's comments essentially track and validate what Sensei laid out in post #17 earlier. (Kudos to you, Sensei).

It also seems to establish that there are in fact some crucial differences between the Speer 124gr Gold Dot +P and the Speer Short Barrel 124 gr Gold Dot +P, and that you should judiciously apply your choice and selection process in line with your specific gun's barrel length for maximum effective results, especially for defensive use.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 07-26-2017 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
    The difference in velocity is due to different length test barrels. The short barrel load's listed velocity is from a shorter 3.5" test barrel.

There are bullet differences between short barrel and regular Gold Dot loads in the other calibers, but the 9mm hollow points appear to be identical - at least that used to be the case. Ammo manufactures have been known to tweak their ammo from time to time, however, with little public awareness.
    This is pretty much the response I got from Speer when I inquired about it.

I realize it is a bit off subject but the Critical Duty in 9mm is the only round tested that has ftf in my 320.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

User Tag List