Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Differences Between Gold Dot 9mm 124 gr +P and God Dot 9m 124 gr +P Short Barrel

Differences Between Gold Dot 9mm 124 gr +P and God Dot 9m 124 gr +P Short Barrel

I usually carry the Gold Dot 9mm 124 gr +P in my 4.9" barreled Beretta 92D; recently inadvertently got box of the Short Barrel version of this cartridge. While previously its been stated on the forum that there is no difference between the two, I do not believe that this is currently the case;

-The Short Barrel has a posted muzzle velocity of 1150 fps, with 364 ft lbs of energy;

-The "standard" 124gr +P has a posted muzzle velocity of 1220 fps, with 410 ft lbs of energy;

-Speer has re-designed the hollow point on the Short Barrel variant with a wider, shallower profile.

When I spoke to a Speer tech rep about using the Short Barrel round in my 4.9" Beretta, he stated that overpenetration would likely result.

Guess I just acquired some expensive practice ammunition, at least as far as my Beretta is concerned...

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I usually carry the Gold Dot 9mm 124 gr +P in my 4.9" barreled Beretta 92D; recently inadvertently got box of the Short Barrel version of this cartridge. While previously its been stated on the forum that there is no difference between the two, I do not believe that this is currently the case;

-The Short Barrel has a posted muzzle velocity of 1150 fps, with 364 ft lbs of energy;

-The "standard" 124gr +P has a posted muzzle velocity of 1220 fps, with 410 ft lbs of energy;

-Speer has re-designed the hollow point on the Short Barrel variant with a wider, shallower profile.

When I spoke to a Speer tech rep about using the Short Barrel round in my 4.9" Beretta, he stated that overpenetration would likely result.

Guess I just acquired some expensive practice ammunition, at least as far as my Beretta is concerned...

Best, Jon
    I sent you a PM.

Got it, thanks-much appreciated, Mike. Reply sent back 'atcha.

Best, Jon

As an additional bit of info: I carry the Speer 124 grain +P Gold Dot in my 92s. Out of curiosity I tested that load and the standard pressure 124 grain GD with a chronograph. Out of the 4.9" barrel on the 92, the +P load chrono'd at 1220 fps average, the standard pressure load averaged out at 1205 fps. If I can't find the +P load in stock I don't have any worries about the standard pressure load.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    As an additional bit of info: I carry the Speer 124 grain +P Gold Dot in my 92s. Out of curiosity I tested that load and the standard pressure 124 grain GD with a chronograph. Out of the 4.9" barrel on the 92, the +P load chrono'd at 1220 fps average, the standard pressure load averaged out at 1205 fps. If I can't find the +P load in stock I don't have any worries about the standard pressure load.
    Thanks for that info, Trooper. I've got the standard GD 124gr as well as Federal HST in 124gr +P. Good to know there's not much drop off in performance with the standard pressure rounds...and I remember Doc Roberts saying good things about them as well in the recent past.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Thanks for that info, Trooper. I've got the standard GD 124gr as well as Federal HST in 124gr +P. Good to know there's not much drop off in performance with the standard pressure rounds...and I remember Doc Roberts saying good things about them as well in the recent past.
    For a modern service pistol the 92 has a longer than average barrel. Most current service models are closer to four than five. I'm sure that benefits the 92 in this particular case, but I can't confirm the same level of performance in shorter barreled pistols.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

The difference in velocity is due to different length test barrels. The short barrel load's listed velocity is from a shorter 3.5" test barrel.

There are bullet differences between short barrel and regular Gold Dot loads in the other calibers, but the 9mm hollow points appear to be identical - at least that used to be the case. Ammo manufactures have been known to tweak their ammo from time to time, however, with little public awareness.
    Last edited by Velo Dog; 07-21-2017 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    For a modern service pistol the 92 has a longer than average barrel. Most current service models are closer to four than five. I'm sure that benefits the 92 in this particular case, but I can't confirm the same level of performance in shorter barreled pistols.
    I had 'em in the G17 for a while (which is about .4" shorter than your 92) but I'm currently carrying HST 147gr standard in all my Glocks regardless of barrel length.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
    The difference in velocity is due to different length test barrels. The short barrel load's listed velocity is from a shorter 3.5" test barrel.

There are bullet differences between short barrel and regular Gold Dot loads in the other calibers, but the 9mm hollow points appear to be identical - at least that used to be the case. Ammo manufactures have been known to tweak their ammo from time to time, however, with little public awareness.
    That was my (hopeful) initial assumption, too. It also seemed to be the premise that DocGKR was operating under when he previously asserted that there was no difference between the two, but it seems subsequently thet Speer has made some changes-according to them to the bullet's hollowpoint profile, and, while they didn't specifically state it, I'm surmising to the powder as well, either in formulation or in amount. On the Speer site they do specify that the Short Barrel cartridges are "lower kicking."

Best, Jon

One of the Speer Tech Reps just emailed me, specifying that using the Short Barrel ammunition in my longer-barreled (4.9") Beretta 92 would pick up velocity, over expand the bullet, and cause over-penetration.

While he didn't specifically say so, that sounds to me like both the powder (either in formulation and/or amount) and the bullet have been modified in the 9mm Short Barrel cartridges.

Best, Jon

User Tag List