Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cleaning up the Gen4 Glock Trigger

Cleaning up the Gen4 Glock Trigger

Ok, so I've been working pretty heavily, and almost exclusively, with my G19 for a while. I'm getting better and all that jazz and everything has been perfectly functional. Lately I've started just using my Gen2 G17 that I got as a police trade-in purchase for dry practice. I have to say that this thing has a rather nice rolling crisp break. Contrasting that with my G19 that's smooth up until where it hits the wall and it turns into something like a staple gun or a heavy dry sponge before it finally breaks. I find that when I'm dry practicing with the G17 I can focus more on just doing the things instead of actively working the trigger. Working the trigger just becomes a subconscious act which, I think, is what it's supposed to be.

I've lightly polished the dot connector, the top of the trigger bar that interfaces with the striker, the top of the trigger bar that engages the striker block plunger, and the engagement surface of the trigger bar that slides against the connector. What else can I do to eliminate that super spongy and creepy break? It's not that I can't shoot the G19 well with it, but it's really freaking annoying and I find myself paying more attention to it than I should which takes my focus away from reading the sights and keeping my grip solid and consistent.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Interesting, sorry I don't have anything that can help you, I just wanted to add my perspective. For some reason I have found the triggers in a few G19G4 to be as you described. They are nowhere as nice as my G19G3 or G17G4. I have tried connectors, trigger bars, polish jobs... and nothing seems to really make a big difference. The closest I have come is replace everything from a G9G3 in a G19G4, it made it better but not the same as the G19G3.

There is really no difference in my shooting performance with them it's just annoying as hell that there is noticeable difference in feel. All of my Gen3's are smoother and about 1-2 lbs lighter. I have not be able to figure this out, and do not want to really modify them on a permanent basis, especially if its a carry gun, so I just decided to stick with the stock config.

Also for some reason I have found the G17G4 to be better than the G19G4. Hopefully someone can provide more info to help us both.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    With Gen 4 Guns, I find the greatest improvement is made by switching to a Gen 3 trigger/trigger bar (w/o the "dot" bump on the vertical piece of teh connector). They're on sale for $10 on MidwayUSA's website. Highly recommend. Combined with otherwise OEM parts and some judicious polishing, this gives me a light (~4.5-5lb) rolling break with no wall. Have this in all 4 of my Gen 4 pistols including 2x G19s.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    With Gen 4 Guns, I find the greatest improvement is made by switching to a Gen 3 trigger/trigger bar (w/o the "dot" bump on the vertical piece of teh connector). They're on sale for $10 on MidwayUSA's website. Highly recommend. Combined with otherwise OEM parts and some judicious polishing, this gives me a light (~4.5-5lb) rolling break with no wall. Have this in all 4 of my Gen 4 pistols including 2x G19s.
    I did some searching in this particular sub-forum and it seems that there are all sorts of weird anomalies that affect the trigger characteristics in later manufactured Glocks, particularly the Gen4s. Would you recommend any specific connector or are you still running the Dot connector?

EDIT: I did, just for reference, replace the serrated trigger with the smooth trigger, but IIRC the trigger bar does have that Gen4 "goiter" on the side of the part that hits the striker block plunger. Might have to pick one of these up and polish it up a bit and give it a shot.
    Last edited by spinmove_; 07-21-2017 at 08:49 AM.

You might want to try just dropping a minus connector in it. That's what I use in my Gen4's and like it. Others have reported that the Taran Tactical and Apex connectors both give a rolling break.

I did just get some Gen3 trigger bars recently and am going to try those out too.

Just so that we're clear (not that anyone has stated otherwise yet), I'm not looking for a "lighter" trigger press. I'm just looking for a "smoother" press. Currently the trigger press feels smooth until I hit the wall and then it feels like I'm rowing through peanut butter or something.

I recently picked up a Gen3 trigger bar and tried it in my Gen4 G19. It did seem to give more of a rolling break, but I did have an issue of there being a "hitch" right before the final engagement before the break. I'm able to reproduce it with the slide off and working the trigger manually. From what I can tell it seems to occur when the end of the trigger bar starts to engage the connector, but it's hard to tell.

I tried two separate Gen3 trigger bars and both had the same issue in my Gen4 G19. I plan on trying them in my Gen4 G26 soon to see if the same issue occurs.

Have you ever experienced that issue?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Just so that we're clear (not that anyone has stated otherwise yet), I'm not looking for a "lighter" trigger press. I'm just looking for a "smoother" press. Currently the trigger press feels smooth until I hit the wall and then it feels like I'm rowing through peanut butter or something.
    This will produce the same result. It does not substantially lower the trigger weight.

Quote Originally Posted by wrt81 View Post
    I recently picked up a Gen3 trigger bar and tried it in my Gen4 G19. It did seem to give more of a rolling break, but I did have an issue of there being a "hitch" right before the final engagement before the break. I'm able to reproduce it with the slide off and working the trigger manually. From what I can tell it seems to occur when the end of the trigger bar starts to engage the connector, but it's hard to tell.

I tried two separate Gen3 trigger bars and both had the same issue in my Gen4 G19. I plan on trying them in my Gen4 G26 soon to see if the same issue occurs.

Have you ever experienced that issue?
    Actually I have, in a Gen 4 G35. I ended up fixing this with a new Dot connector, for whatever it's worth.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 07-21-2017 at 09:12 AM.

This will produce the same result. It does not substantially lower the trigger weight.

Actually I have, in a Gen 4 G35. I ended up fixing this with a new Dot connector, for whatever it's worth.
    Lol, this sounds like "Glock parts are cheap....until you start buying multiples of all of them just to find some that don't suck...."

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Lol, this sounds like "Glock parts are cheap....until you start buying multiples of all of them just to find some that don't suck...."
    I leave mine with their original, er, character...I've learned over the past few decades not to be put off by the vagaries of Glock triggers...including the NY triggers. (I know that this is not the popular view hereabouts but it is what it is.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List