Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cleaning up the Gen4 Glock Trigger

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Did Glock change the striker spring weight in the Gen4s?
    No. 5.5 lbs is standard for all generations.

They did reduce the space in which the trigger /connector interface when they reduced the grip size on the Gen 4 which changed the geometry. Hence heavy triggers on early Gen 4's until the introduction and standardization of the DOT connector.

IME, the Glock "-" connector plus a Generation 2-3 trigger bar, plus polishing of all metal-metal contact surfaces in the trigger group = Gen 4 Glock with a reasonably light and smooth trigger action.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

So before I ordered any parts I decided to go through my stash 'o Glock parts. It just so happens that I have a Gen3 smooth trigger bar and a Minus connector. So I grabbed those, the mother's polishing compound, and went to town on all of the contact surfaces between the two. Broke the G19 down and swapped the parts out. Trigger now feels A LOT closer to the G17. G17 is still smoother, but it's a night and day improvement. Not sure why I didn't bother to check for parts and try this sooner.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    IME, the Glock "-" connector plus a Generation 2-3 trigger bar, plus polishing of all metal-metal contact surfaces in the trigger group = Gen 4 Glock with a reasonably light and smooth trigger action.
    This works for me. I've used a few aftermarket connectors over the years, but came back around to OEM parts with a proper polish. Shooting the piss out of them also helps smooth things out. I don't recall where I dug the info up, but there are some really good "how to" instructions on the net... I want to say it was on m4carbine. It's easy to overdo it. And I suggest having one of the orange half backplates to inspect striker-cruciform engagement. Glocks are fairly simple machines, and parts are cheap if you screw something up. But it's still something that should be approached with caution.

Agreed the Gen 4 can be improved with a Gen3 trigger bar and connector but why? What is the difference between the gen3 and gen4 parts?

Quote Originally Posted by BJXDS View Post
    Agreed the Gen 4 can be improved with a Gen3 trigger bar and connector but why? What is the difference between the gen3 and gen4 parts?
    Gen4 trigger bar has a "goiter" on the side of the striker block safety disconnect. As the trigger bar moves rearward that disconnect tends to move laterally as well as rearward, causing it to run up against the interior of the slide. With the "goiter" in place it better centers that disconnect over the striker plunger. I assume this was easier to design instead of simply redesigning the striker block safety to what the M series pistols sport in their slides.

Also, because the Gen4 pistol frames are smaller front to back, there's less distance to travel for the same amount of work done, which means there's more resistance in the trigger press. I assume this is why Glock made the Dot (5#) connector standard instead of the Standard (5.5#) connector.

There may be more differences, but I'm not intimately familiar with them at this time.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Bunch of people I know, go minus OEM connector, Wolf 5.0 striker spring and call it good.
    This works for me. I use a 4.5 striker spring in my game guns but this requires a lightweight striker to avoid light primer hits.

I've ground down the "goiter" on a Gen4 trigger bar as a test, and didn't find much difference in the trigger pull.

A smooth faced Gen 3 trigger bar is what I prefer on my Gen4 models. I suspect there is an angle/radius difference where they meet the connector (stock dot) so it is similar to swapping to a different connector. I like going this route because I prefer the smooth trigger face.

Some aftermarket triggers (Overwatch) use the Gen 3 trigger bar as they charge crazy prices.

There is more variation in Glock parts than Glock would like to admit. I recently acquired a Gen4 26 and swapping out the factory trigger bar with another unaltered Gen4 trigger bar ( from a 17) produced a more "rolling break" type pull. I did this a couple more times and there were subtle differences.

The trigger bars are just stampings. Not exactly precision machined S7 tool steel.
    Last edited by Greg; 07-22-2017 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Damn autocorrect
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Good thread, I been really looking for convincing reviews (positive or negative) of the TTI Grand Master trigger kit. There are several reviews I've seen but nothing really detailed. Any insight is appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post

Actually I have, in a Gen 4 G35. I ended up fixing this with a new Dot connector, for whatever it's worth.
    Thanks, I tried the Gen3 trigger bar again in my G19 and swapped out to a spare minus connector I had on hand and it resolved it issue. I also tried another Gen3 trigger bar in my G26 and it didn't have the issue either, so it must have been the connector I had in my G19.

User Tag List