Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Is talking on the phone dead to most people?

Quote Originally Posted by TBone550 View Post
    If you're headed down there too, and I can get it done before then, I could *potentially* bring that saw with me assuming my schedule allows. I PM'd him a few days back letting him know I could make it as long as it's after the first week in Nov is past - have obligations that weekend and the one prior.

Dang, I just realized I've got to get my 064 rebuild on the road, too, if any of these trees are actually big enough to need it.
    We will figure it out, don't worry too much about me and my saw. I damn sure want it but I can wait, too.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    We will figure it out, don't worry too much about me and my saw. I damn sure want it but I can wait, too.
    Wouldn't this discussion be better handled on the phone?

There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Wouldn't this discussion be better handled on the phone?

Make sure you text ahead, first
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    For something like Craigslist or LetGo, talking to someone prior to meeting is a safety issue. It's much easier to scam or set someone up via text for a variety of reasons, but most importantly because it's easy for the recipient to read whatever tone into a message they want. I want to hear your voice, see if you're too excited, nervous, etc.

If you're too damn busy to talk on the phone, you're too busy to meet me anyway. The notion what you're doing on the phone is too important to interrupt (and admit it, you're fucking off crushing candies or facepaging) and talk on the phone is laughable.

Still old fashioned and don't text (of course my cell phone costs me around $100 a year, rather then what most people pay a month), but sometimes people are idiots on both.
    I emailed through CL about an item for sale, and the guy gave me his phone number, but didn't want to email me or tell me on the phone, his business location to pick up the item. He couldn't believe someone was actually interested, and I finally had to say, why don't you call me when you are serious about selling it as I was ready today.

I have zero interest in speaking on the phone. My ears are starting to go, for one thing, and I find it annoying-to-painful depending on the other person's voice.

however, I find the exact opposite situation than the OP. I send an email to a dealer's "director of online sales" only for them to reply "what's a good time to call you?" I send an email to a real estate agent asking about a house and I never hear back, only to later meet them by chance and have them say "you should have called". Same thing goes for craigslist ads for tools I'm interested in buying.

I will say, however, that once you *have* placed a call, if the other person doesn't answer you should either leave a message (and a detailed message at that, explaining what you want that had to be dealt with via phone) or expect to never receive a return call.

NSFW(f-bomb)

"You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I have zero interest in speaking on the phone. My ears are starting to go, for one thing, and I find it annoying-to-painful depending on the other person's voice.

however, I find the exact opposite situation than the OP. I send an email to a dealer's "director of online sales" only for them to reply "what's a good time to call you?" I send an email to a real estate agent asking about a house and I never hear back, only to later meet them by chance and have them say "you should have called". Same thing goes for craigslist ads for tools I'm interested in buying.

I will say, however, that once you *have* placed a call, if the other person doesn't answer you should either leave a message (and a detailed message at that, explaining what you want that had to be dealt with via phone) or expect to never receive a return call.

I do have a relative that I use as an example. I don't text but I do email, and when you mention deaf, it is miraculous how quickly texting/email works over the deaf relay service.

Cell phone speakers suck ass so I generally don't like to talk on the phone for that reason.

I hate selling stuff on CL because people never read the add and want me to answer a bunch of stuff I already addressed. It worse when you work nights because people will try to call you while you're sleeping even after you tell them not to. Had one A-hole come to look at my truck, we agreed to meet on Sunday because that was my day off. He shows up on Saturday and wakes me up and then tries to convince me the engine is shot and offers me half my asking price. They call a billion times asking stupid questions each time, just come over and look at it or leave me alone. This has been my experience with CL, is it any wonder people don't want to give out their number?

My other issue is I work 13 hours a day, 4 days a week so for those 4 days I probably don't have several consecutive minutes that I can tie up with a phone call. I'm either sleeping, at work, getting ready for work or driving. Even on my days off it seems like I only ever get phone calls when it's least convenient.

And then there's all the damn bots calling trying to scam me. Most people today just don't answer calls from numbers they don't know because it's probably some annoying bullshit like that.
    Last edited by Bigghoss; 07-25-2017 at 10:31 PM.

User Tag List