Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Juice is loose.

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    How's the trust level on justice for "special cases" (privileged with fame, money, political influence, relatives/friends in the right places, etc.) in the USA?
    Better than most, but far from perfect.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by schüler View Post
    Are you saying he's automatically given a clean slate as far as we the member of the general public?
    I'm not sure what you're asking me?

Every person is entitled to their opinion about the matter. But there is a basic reality to our judicial system. If you're not guilty of the crime, you're not guilty of the crime and cannot be punished extra-judicially or otherwise as though you are guilty of the crime, even if you got away with a crime because of a technicality. Just go check out how often people who are found not guilty end up winning defamation cases in court (hint, more often than you'd think, but less often than they probably should).

Far too often we break out the pitchforks and torches for people who haven't been convicted (remember when the crowd was ready to string George Zimmerman up?). And if they are acquitted we say, "They just got away with it, let's punish them anyways!" - A nation and society of laws should not do that. Even if someone escapes on a technicality, we have to accept it and move on.

At the end of the day OJ's stupid decision making caught up with him, and he WAS convicted of armed robbery and kidnapping and sentenced to 15-years. He has served 9-years, has been granted parole, if he doesn't violate his parole, he will have served the punishment(s) for the crimes he was convicted of. I hope OJ does the smart thing and goes and retires someplace far away. What I haven't said until now is my opinion, I'd wager a month's pay that OJ violates parole and is back in the slammer within 3-years.

-Rob

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I'm not sure what you're asking me?

Every person is entitled to their opinion about the matter. But there is a basic reality to our judicial system. If you're not guilty of the crime, you're not guilty of the crime and cannot be punished extra-judicially or otherwise as though you are guilty of the crime, even if you got away with a crime because of a technicality. Just go check out how often people who are found not guilty end up winning defamation cases in court (hint, more often than you'd think, but less often than they probably should).
    Well then. Hillary 2020.

Site Supporter
    I think I get revolverrob's point.

OJ is human garbage, but he was found not guilty. The system will never be perfect, and you cannot try and make up for it by punishing him at a parole hearing for a crime he was found not guilty of. Society is free to hold him in contempt and refrain from treating him as a normal member. However, we cannot use the legal system in a corrupt third world way.

I just want to see OJ and Bill Cosby go on a double date with a pair of Kardashian sisters.

I may get exiled to a desert isle with no connectivity for introducing facts to an internet discussion, but he is in jail for armed robbery. ("Is"; he will not actually be eligible for parole until October.)
    Not murder.
    The parole board stated specifically that they were not addressing the murder, as it was not in their purview to do so.
    He has served nine years or so for this crime, which is probably average or even higher than average, for a first time offender.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled conspiracy theories and frenzied hyperbole.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    I think I get revolverrob's point.

OJ is human garbage, but he was found not guilty. The system will never be perfect, and you cannot try and make up for it by punishing him at a parole hearing for a crime he was found not guilty of. Society is free to hold him in contempt and refrain from treating him as a normal member. However, we cannot use the legal system in a corrupt third world way.
    We all get his point. The sticking point is using OJ as the poster child.

I hope Ford sends him a new Bronco.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    I may get exiled to a desert isle with no connectivity for introducing facts to an internet discussion, but he is in jail for armed robbery. ("Is"; he will not actually be eligible for parole until October.)
    Not murder.
    The parole board stated specifically that they were not addressing the murder, as it was not in their purview to do so.
    He has served nine years or so for this crime, which is probably average or even higher than average, for a first time offender.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled conspiracy theories and frenzied hyperbole.
    He has also acted in a psychotic manner his entire life. Murderer or not, the piece of shit will ruin someone's life again and hasn't changed a bit. How he acted at his parole hearing reinforces that, and it's pretty sad they made the decision they did (but that's our shit legal system for you).
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Mr Simpson is remorseful, according to his lawyer, sister, and other supporters.
    What he SAID was "I am so sorry it worked out that way." Yeah, he is sorry he got caught.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

User Tag List