Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 44 Mag Rec's for Bears

44 Mag Rec's for Bears

Trying to find 45 Super Ammo in Anchorage, AK has become a true saga (I think GJM bought all of it). My HK USP field pistol capabilities are on hold until I get ammo. This has forced me (a real arm twister to buy a Ruger SRH Alaskan 44 mag 2.5" bbl.

Looking for 44mag ammo for bear protection. Considering Buffalo Bore, Underwood, Garret's and Federal Premium Core Cast.

Around 305gn'ish. Desired velocity above 1,100 FPS but nothing obscene that makes follow up shots extremely slow.

My main concern is reliability, anyone had excellent or negative experiences w/ this caliber in any of the manufactures mentioned?

My buddy had some Buffalo Bore jump crimp and tie up the cylinder in his .454 SRH w/ 2.5" bbl...

Thanks for any input.

Jeremy

I would consider the Federal 300 grain, hard cast load:

https://www.federalpremium.com/ammun...-castcore/p44e
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Garrett's suggests not using their ammo in revolvers with shorter than 4 inches.

There is a 6.5" version of the SRH in 44 Magnum (5519). It compares nicely in size to the 454 Toklat.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Actually, Garrett makes a specific load for the Scanium and four inch guns, that I use. I once shot a mule deer buck up the butt with it at 42 yards, with a 329 four inch, and got complete penetration and an exit, out his chest.

I didn't mention the Garrett load, as ammo can not be air shipped to AK, and my experience is the Federal Cast Core load is commonly available in Anchorage.

http://www.garrettcartridges.com/44defendertech.html

44 Mag Rec's for Bears

I carried BB 340 gr hard cast in Alaska. One of the guides I was with also carried that load. (The other had the lighter BB hard cast .44). The 340gr chronos at 1360fps from my SBH 3.75". Recoil is stout, but controllable. The crimp seems very solid on these, but you should test of course.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 07-20-2017 at 10:49 AM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I carried BB 340 gr hard cast in Alaska. One of the guides I was with also carried that load. (The other had the lighter BB hard cast .44). The 340gr chronos at 1360fps from my SBH 3.75". Recoil is stout, but controllable. The crimp seems very solid on these, but you should test of course.

For hunting, I understand the thumper BB and Garrett loads, as you want to flatten trajectory and have options to shoot heart/lung and break an oppposite shoulder. For a defensive handgun load, where penetration of the skull is what you are after, I don't see the advantage of the thumper loads, over something like the Garrett Defender, which penetrates the skull and recoils much less, allowing faster follow-up shots?

44 Mag Rec's for Bears

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    For hunting, I understand the thumper BB and Garrett loads, as you want to flatten trajectory and have options to shoot heart/lung and break an oppposite shoulder. For a defensive handgun load, where penetration of the skull is what you are after, I don't see the advantage of the thumper loads, over something like the Garrett Defender, which penetrates the skull and recoils much less, allowing faster follow-up shots?
    George--your logic and experience are compelling, and I don't have any justification for my choice other than hoping that bigger is better, and that a miss on a head shot could yield an effective body shot.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 07-20-2017 at 11:03 AM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

What I want is the easiest to shoot projectile, that will reliably penetrate the skull of a brown bear.

Where reasonable people do differ, is what is the threshold of "reliably penetrating" the skull. I "think" a .44 Magnum with Garrett Defender (340 or so grains at 1,020 GPS) or Federal Cast Core will penetrate. I am "certain" full test BB/Garrett or equivalent loads will. I "hope" the USP with .45 Super Lehigh loads will.

I like GJM's thinking on the matter, however, here's another option
    https://www.lehighdefense.com/produc...ariant=1066304

During my first visit to AK during the early 90's, I could barely wait to check out the exotic hand cannons that surely awaited in an Anchorage gun store. I was shocked to find a shop full of mostly 9mm autos and .357 revolvers.

Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
    I like GJM's thinking on the matter, however, here's another option
    https://www.lehighdefense.com/produc...ariant=1066304

During my first visit to AK during the early 90's, I could barely wait to check out the exotic hand cannons that surely awaited in an Anchorage gun store. I was shocked to find a shop full of mostly 9mm autosomal Underwood Lehigh and .357 revolvers.
    Been using the Underwood Lehigh ammo since last summer, and yet to experience a stoppage. Have it in 9, 40, 45+P and 45 Super. By chance was sighting in a USP FS 40 Tactical this afternoon, and here is how it looks at 25. See the distinctive Lehigh profile.

Name:  IMG_7138.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  47.1 KB

User Tag List