Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 44 Mag Rec's for Bears

Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
    I like GJM's thinking on the matter, however, here's another option
    https://www.lehighdefense.com/produc...ariant=1066304

During my first visit to AK during the early 90's, I could barely wait to check out the exotic hand cannons that surely awaited in an Anchorage gun store. I was shocked to find a shop full of mostly 9mm autos and .357 revolvers.
    Slightly off topic, but during my trip to AK I was also somewhat surprised by what I saw locals carrying and I think it was GJM who mentioned to me when I brought it up that most bears are actually taken by locals with .223/5.56.

Quote Originally Posted by Xrslug View Post
    Slightly off topic, but during my trip to AK I was also somewhat surprised by what I saw locals carrying and I think it was GJM who mentioned to me when I brought it up that most bears are actually taken by locals with .223/5.56.
    Apparently a bunch of grizzly bears around native villages fall to department store 55 grain ball, shot through the neck, out of mini-14 carbines.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

The .44 Mag Hornady 300 gr XTP is a versatile general purpose load.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

All, thanks for the input! I will keep my eye out for the quality rounds to test. Ran some cheaper 240gn 44special rem (felt like a stout 45acp) and armscor 240gn 44mag before jumping to a cylinder of BB "heavy 44mag" 305gn. It felt controllable as Iam dialing in my revo technique. I did have to adjust my grip after the 3 shot. Not getting to scientific, dumping them into in 8" target at 7yds as fast as I can.

During my last couple of cylinders the trigger stared feeling "sticky" half way through. Revolver shooting is somewhat new to me. Iam assuming this is due to leading. I wanted to measure OAL after each BB round but I was in a rush and couldn't find my calipers.

Jeremy

Site Supporter
    About the sticky trigger feeling. The cause may be unburned powder crud getting under the extractor star. This occurrence frquently confuses many. The cure is easy. Clean with a brush and dump brass with the barrel straight up and down. Enough crud can tie up a revolver.

Subscribed to this.

Instagram: MuzzleblastMD

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    About the sticky trigger feeling. The cause may be unburned powder crud getting under the extractor star. This occurrence frquently confuses many. The cure is easy. Clean with a brush and dump brass with the barrel straight up and down. Enough crud can tie up a revolver.
    Ejecting shells slowly to save the brass is a good way to cause problems like that. Muzzle straight up and sharp slap on the rod seems to help reduce it to a great degree. Deal with the brass when youre done shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    The .44 Mag Hornady 300 gr XTP is a versatile general purpose load.
    Not that unpleasant a load to shoot either.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

I can't imagine carrying a .44 Magnum for grizzly bears and not loading it with a wide meplat, hard cast load.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List