Thread: All-around scope: VX-6 2-12 or ?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"

All-around scope: VX-6 2-12 or ?

Thinking about picking up one of the remnants of discontinued Leupold VX-6 inventory in the next few weeks. The 2-12x42 seems like a really good option. Prices are good, well under $1000 right now. Generally reported to have some of the best glass for less than $2000+, back when they were selling near MSRP. The 2-12 is reasonably compact and light. You can go with the small caps that come with it, or larger turret knobs when you exercise the CDS option.

I'm thinking keep it simple with a FireDot duplex reticle. It's a 2x red dot that plays well with astigmatism, which should be good for fast and close, like pigs and deer in the woods, various kinds of animal defense (maybe not for charging coastal brown bears - I mean in the other 49 states), and at the other end, 12x should let one put good hits on anything big enough to hit with a .308 at any reasonable distance. Not for machining paper from 1000 yards, but taking critters off their feet and ringing some steel. CDS dial configuration gives some options for quickly working past point blank range in a more detailed fashion than just holdovers.

The overall package is smaller and lighter than many lesser scopes with a narrower range, giving them a higher low end and lower high end. This is the benefit of throwing money at the problem. And because they are "old" and therefore "no good anymore," they are now (comparatively) affordable versus what they have been.

Boone & Crockett and the FireDot LR duplex reticle are also available. I haven't had a chance to use them all, but I'm thinking the simplicity of the FD duplex would be superior for fast/close and low light scenarios.

The only bad thing I can find reported about them is that the dials may not track well on some examples, but there are far more reports from people saying the VX-6 is GTG in that respect, unlike lesser Leupolds. And Leupold can be expected to fix it if it doesn't track.

Can anybody talk me out of this being a good idea?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

what kind of rifle / caliber?
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Picked up an FNAR (.308/7.62x51), also on clearance, last winter. It's been sitting in the safe while I do other stuff. I have changed to a non-PG stock, which gets it off the no-fly list in certain Left-coast jurisdictions where I like to travel. Maximizing the usefulness of the FN is the immediate thinking, but if I end up not being in love with it for some reason, moving the scope over to a Tikka in .308 would also make one heck of a do-everything package.
    Not another dime.

Don't count on me....

Please don't count on me to talk you out of it....

I've had mine for about five years...it has the standard duplex reticles.

It's been a great coyote gun for me....that 2X is great for close in work, and I rarely go over 4X.

It's on a Ruger American .243.

Build quality is first class, and the glass is outstanding.

Depending on what you plan to use it for, it might be a very good choice.

George

Name:  2017-07-27 08.46.44.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  101.6 KB
    Gun Free Zones Aren’t an Inhibition….they’re an Invitation.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Picked up an FNAR (.308/7.62x51), also on clearance, last winter. It's been sitting in the safe while I do other stuff. I have changed to a non-PG stock, which gets it off the no-fly list in certain Left-coast jurisdictions where I like to travel. Maximizing the usefulness of the FN is the immediate thinking, but if I end up not being in love with it for some reason, moving the scope over to a Tikka in .308 would also make one heck of a do-everything package.
    That 3-15 is nice...
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I'm really liking the VX-R 3-9x40. Should be about half the money of the one you're talking about. The Ballistic FireDot reticle works pretty well.

Details of my experience with it here: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....quot&styleid=6

John
    Last edited by okie john; 07-27-2017 at 01:10 PM.
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I got the VX-6 2-12 after much digging around to figure out the subtensions of the FD ballistic reticle. Turned out that reticle lined up nicely with my preferred 180 gr 300WM load, and I took that combo to Africa. It made possible a difficult 400 yard shot on a mountain zebra. Great glass for the money.

Not another dime.

User Tag List