Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 38,000 rounds through 1911s

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    The problem with working on the platform is that there's no standardization of part sizes across the industry. An aftermarket part that drops in and fits perfectly in a Colt may require fitting in a Kimber or a Springfield.
    1911 problems across the board, in a nutshell. While the design is completely sound, it'd be the the same situation if you had every true expert and true retard manufacturer on the planet building their version of a Glock 17.
    Last edited by Peally; 07-20-2017 at 10:50 AM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    1911 problems across the board, in a nutshell. While the design is completely sound, it'd be the the same situation if you had every true expert and true retard manufacturer on the planet building their version of a Glock 17.
    ...you mean like what's happening now with all the different slide, barrel and now a few frame manufacturers for the Glock design?
    Shoot more, post less...

Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    ...you mean like what's happening now with all the different slide, barrel and now a few frame manufacturers for the Glock design?
    Not really. You still have a standard that is supported from the original designer.
    #RESIST

Close, extend that to internal parts over different manufacturers with their own designs and everything else over 100 years and you have the same recipe for WTF potential.

I have a feeling if the average Joe wasn't a fan of basement gunsmithing followed afterwards by internet complaining the 1911 would have a different and more positive stereotype behind it. In 2117 Glocks may be a nightmare situation if a boob buying a Taurus G17 mixes it with some G17 HiPoint parts and does a little "polishing" work with the ol' space dremel.
    Last edited by Peally; 07-20-2017 at 11:15 AM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Vending Machine Operator
    Close, extend that to internal parts over different manufacturers with their own designs and everything else over 100 years and you have the same recipe for WTF potential.

I have a feeling if the average Joe wasn't a fan of basement gunsmithing followed afterwards by internet complaining the 1911 would have a different and more positive stereotype behind it. In 2117 Glocks may be a nightmare situation if a boob buying a Taurus G17 mixes it with some G17 HiPoint parts and does a little "polishing" work with the ol' space dremel.
    "You moron, you used a Glock G-X Type Plasma Capacitor in a Beretta-Sauer Interphase Pistol? Gee, wonder why it didn't work."
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

We see some of that already with the proliferation of aftermarket Glock parts that sometimes trigger all sorts of issues fixed with return to OEM. Some. Not all.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    We see some of that already with the proliferation of aftermarket Glock parts that sometimes trigger all sorts of issues fixed with return to OEM. Some. Not all.
    That was kind of my point but I digress. Side note and mini hijack, but what I would really like to see is somebody bring to market an enhanced reliability Glock slide with an external extractor that utilizes a coil spring and roll pin, ala HK, Walther, Beretta, etc. I think that could be a big seller if it was engineered well (i.e. used a current manufacturer's extractor and extractor spring; easy to find spare parts) and ran reliably.
    Last edited by MSparks909; 07-20-2017 at 01:07 PM.
    Shoot more, post less...

That was kind of my point but I digress. Side note and mini hijack, but what I would really like to see is somebody bring to market an enhanced reliability Glock slide with an external extractor that utilizes a coil spring and roll pin, ala HK, Walther, Beretta, etc. I think that could be a big seller if it was engineered well (i.e. used a current manufacturer's extractor and extractor spring; easy to find spare parts) and ran reliably.
    I'm curious what kind of problem we'd be trying to solve there. Glocks, while perhaps not quite "perfection" tend to be pretty reliable. The teeting issues with the Gen 4 seem to have sorted themselves out, at least that's my impression with the one's I've played with here lately.

And if that wasn't true, at the point where I have to replace a guns slide to make it reliable is the point where I just buy something else that works out of the box.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

3. 1911s are easy to maintain right up until they're not.

Most problems with a 1911 can be fixed by a moderately competent armorer. I'm not sure where people got the idea that these guns were hard to work on, because they're not.
    Because pins and stuff!

The problem with working on the platform is that there's no standardization of part sizes across the industry.
    There was... until 1945 and Uncle Sam got out of the 1911 building business.
    I guess you could say it lasted until Colt started deviating from the GI spec, which was... MK IV? Gold Cup?
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I'm curious what kind of problem we'd be trying to solve there. Glocks, while perhaps not quite "perfection" tend to be pretty reliable. The teeting issues with the Gen 4 seem to have sorted themselves out, at least that's my impression with the one's I've played with here lately.

And if that wasn't true, at the point where I have to replace a guns slide to make it reliable is the point where I just buy something else that works out of the box.
    All but one of my 9mm Glocks gave me BTF at least 1 or 2 out of every 100 rounds. It's a substandard extractor design, bar none. But it's cheap and simple to make that's why it's sticking around. Both my Colt 9mm and Wilson 9mm 1911s have been 100% reliable (I expect the Wilson to be due to its price point but still) with zero BTF or poor ejection qualities. They just run.
    Shoot more, post less...

User Tag List