Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 38,000 rounds through 1911s

38,000 rounds through 1911s

I'm an obsessive record keeper when it comes to shooting. Since I started taking this seriously, I've logged almost every round I've fired since 2008, with the only un-counted ones being guns I've shot at media events or during periods of active duty.

While crunching my numbers, I realized that at a steel challenge match this past weekend, I went over 38,000 rounds on 1911s alone. I broke out 1911s ever since I started focusing my blog almost entirely on 1911 Reviews. I don't claim to be an expert like Hilton Yam or Jason Burton or any of the serious 1911 gunsmiths out there, but I'll go over 50k on the platform this year for sure, and I have learned a few things. For example,

1. "1911" is meaningless. When someone says "1911s are finicky and unreliable" it's the most meaningless statement someone can make. I had a Sig 1911 chambered in .357 Sig that was finicky and unreliable. I have a 600 dollar Rock Island 9mm 1911 that has fired over 3,700 rounds without a single failure of any type. I've had Colts that were dead-ass reliable tanks and Colts that had trouble feeding JHP. I had a different Sig 1911 in .45 ACP that worked so long as you used Wilson Combat magazines, but wouldn't work with anything else.

2. "1911s are more accurate than other guns."

What other guns? My Rock Island that runs like a raped ape is also less accurate than a bone stock Gen 4 Glock 34. Costs about the same too. My Kimber Team Match II in 9mm is more accurate than any other gun I own, and is one of the three most accurate guns I've ever shot.

3. 1911s are easy to maintain right up until they're not.

Most problems with a 1911 can be fixed by a moderately competent armorer. I'm not sure where people got the idea that these guns were hard to work on, because they're not. The problem with working on the platform is that there's no standardization of part sizes across the industry. An aftermarket part that drops in and fits perfectly in a Colt may require fitting in a Kimber or a Springfield.

4. 9mm 1911s are better than .45s

Sorry not sorry, they're like easy mode for shooting and are just more awesome in every way.

5. Sig has pretty much figured out how to make the external extractor work. At least on the .45 ACP guns.

These are just observations typed up by slightly intoxicated me as I review the last 10 years of my career and wonder what I've done with my life other than get kind of okay at shooting and be able to detail strip a 1911.

So what have you learned about what it takes to shoot a 1911 well?

What kind of maintenance schedule do you follow and what kinds of things do you check when you do general cleaning on a 1911?

I have to agree. Well done.
    I Miss America

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    So what have you learned about what it takes to shoot a 1911 well?

What kind of maintenance schedule do you follow and what kinds of things do you check when you do general cleaning on a 1911?
    Pretty much the same as it takes to shoot any gun well. I will say because it's heavy and has a light trigger it's more forgiving of errors in trigger pull than other platforms.

For maintenance I usually clean and lubricate every 1000 rounds, swap recoil springs at 3000, and all other springs at 10k. On guns I'm going to be shooting a lot I'll swap out extractors for the Wilson bulletproof extractor. For mags I always start with Wilson ETM, and then if a gun doesn't work with those then I'll start hunting for other mags.

Site Supporter
    Those observations make sense to me.

I owned three S&W 1911s quite a few years ago -- they seem to have figured out the external extractor too.

Site Supporter
    Near as I've heard, the EGW replacement part for the Sig 1911 extractor has turned a decent factory gun into a screamingly good gun. If the factory part breaks or doesn't work, chances are the EGW part will fix it.

Can't argue with much else there. Although I expected there to be a shot across the bow of all the "forged vs cast" 1911 debate.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    4. 9mm 1911s are better than .45s
    Which 9mms have you tested and which do you prefer? Any thoughts on ramped vs. non-ramped barrel for a 9mm?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Groen View Post
    Which 9mms have you tested and which do you prefer? Any thoughts on ramped vs. non-ramped barrel for a 9mm?
    Lessee, a Rock Island that defies all logic, a 4 inch Kimber, a Dan Wesson Commnader that was amazing, a full size Taurus that was garbage, and right now I'm on another Kimber, this time a full size competition style fun. It's pretty great. About half the guns have had ramped barrels and the other half haven't. Hasn't really mattered for reliability.

To be fair, the external extractor makes sense in every way but aesthetics.
    #RESIST

Heck, I can keep a 1911 running well. Of course, starting with a gun with good parts in it makes it easier.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

User Tag List