Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The fatal flaw in a State Dept armored SUV that cost the life of an agent

The fatal flaw in a State Dept armored SUV that cost the life of an agent

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.121dc600da96

It was shortly after 2 p.m. on Feb. 15, 2011, and Avila’s partner, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement special agent Jaime J. Zapata, lay dying in the driver’s seat of their armored, State Department-issued SUV.

The SUV was built to withstand high-velocity gunfire, grenades and land mines. Yet it also came with a consumer convenience: When put in park, its doors unlocked automatically, a flaw previously unaddressed by the U.S. Bureau of Diplomatic Security worldwide.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    I hate that feature, I think it's dangerous just for civilians in dark parking lots. I do like the put it in gear and doors lock feature. Some cases you can turn it off, some you can't.

Disabled in every vehicle I own, and not the first time I've read of it having disastrous results.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Doors that automatically lock when in drive- brilliant. The unlock thing is just plain stoopid.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Yep.

Although I believe there are over-rides....if I am not mistaken?
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

GM calls it the door auto lock/unlock feature and the procedure is usually in the manual. Example:

"You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

It was brought to their attention before this incident.

It was ignored.

I was there for the conversation in 2010 where the local ambassador was informed of this flawed feature. I know exactly what was said, because I was there when I said it.

My rhetorical question is: why couldn't this shit happen when Hillary was in the motorcade?
    Last edited by Odin Bravo One; 07-27-2017 at 02:37 PM.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Yep.

Although I believe there are over-rides....if I am not mistaken?
    The newer ones have it as an optional setting you can adjust from the factory head unit. Some of the models come from the factory programmed where they will lock when put into drive (but not unlock in park). The older ones require a combination of a fuse pull and/or an input process (put car in ignition, hold down door lock for 10 seconds, say biggie smalls three times in a mirror, etc) to adjust configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    It was brought to their attention before this incident.

It was ignored.

I was there for the conversation in 2010 where the local ambassador was informed of this flawed feature. I know exactly what was said, because I was there when I said it.

My rhetorical question is: why couldn't this shit happen when Hillary was in the motorcade?
    Why the ambo, and not the RSO?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Because the RSO was stateside, and the ARSO was incompetent......and in the same room as the Ambo. And I don't work for DoS. I relayed the information to competent authority. But not my circus, not my monkeys.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

User Tag List