Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AR/Carbine stock length preference?

As another not-so-tall dude, here's my setup:

ARs with red dots: 2 clicks out from collapsed (nose-to-charging handle).

ARs with scopes: 4 clicks out from collapsed, which gives me a 13" length of pull and puts the ocular at the end of the charging handle. This is the same LOP as on my precision rifles, and works standing, kneeling, prone, etc.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Meant to add this pic to my earlier reply but couldn't find the pic. It's a still shot from a vid of me shooting on the move. Notice the eye relief on the scope and that even with the stock 2 clicks out I'm not NTCH. There are no hard and fast rules. Try things and figure out what works for your body.

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Extend stock all way out.
    Push forward one click.
    Run like that.
    Yup

A5 with BCM stock, two to three notches out from closed.

Matters if I have armor or not.
    1 click in no armor
    2 clicks in with armor.

That's about what I'm doing now. Even with my thin strapped plate carrier (Crye JPC) I like the stock short. I'm planning on spending some time working with it long to see the difference.

A lot of this is body and gear dependent. If you're like me, and were raised with a "nose to charging handle" weld from the iron sight days, the stock needs to be pretty short, even for folks with gorilla arms like mine. Add full kit into the mix, and the length needs to be another "notch" shorter than usual. This isn't as big a deal for folks who were "raised" shooting red-dot optics, as there's a lot less need to get your eye close to the receiver.

I will add that at Mid South they taught us that our stock should be adjusted so that, as close as possible, our support hand was about the same distance away from our chests as it is when we're shooting pistol two handed. It worked great for most of us, and was pretty simple to accomplish - we just took a two handed handgun shooting stance, then put the broom handle in our support hand and adjusted the stock to get a good shoulder weld. I've used that technique pretty consistently since I was taught it, and it seems to work for me...

User Tag List