Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR/Carbine stock length preference?

AR/Carbine stock length preference?

I've been toying with different lengths of pull on my carbine and have found that it works better for me when it's a little longer. How do you guys run your carbine stocks? Extended out a ways or short?

Quote Originally Posted by secondstoryguy View Post
    I've been toying with different lengths of pull on my carbine and have found that it works better for me when it's a little longer. How do you guys run your carbine stocks? Extended out a ways or short?
    I primarily use mine fully extended but I like the option of using it fully collapsed indoors (even though I'm no longer conducting or executing warrants).
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I've found that a longer length of pull makes it easier to control muzzle rise and transition to other targets. I go out 3 clicks from fully closed, which is the furthest I can go while still hitting my light when I switch shoulders.

I find it interesting that many big name instructors advocate running the stock at full extension, citing leverage and other advantages as their explanation why. However, these same people never seem to account for body size. At a mighty 5'05" tall, I don't have the size or wingspan to use my carbine that way. If I do, I end up turned almost completely sideways! So I utilize mine out 2 or 3 clicks (can't recall which, but I marked them), which allow me to square up better and get my hands where I need them.

Frank Proctor talks about running his stock all the way out: https://youtu.be/x_-RIwWXvrg?t=68

If you look at most 3-gunners, you'll see that most also run their stock out; very few shoot NTCH.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Frank Proctor talks about running his stock all the way out: https://youtu.be/x_-RIwWXvrg?t=68
    If you look at most 3-gunners, you'll see that most also run their stock out; very few shoot NTCH.
    Both Frank and most 3-gunners are shooting their rifles and dry practicing a fair bit. They will have the opportunity to establish and develop an alternative way to establish proper cheek weld and be able to use it.

This does not describe most rifle users. I still run NTCH because it is a very solid tactile index that I can repeat every time. I also don't run my stock all the way out. I set my stock based on the minimum length needed to support my prone position (really short stock positions just don't work well in prone) and leave it there - which is two clicks out on a six position tube. The only exception is when I'm wearing hard plates and I just compress it all the way for that.

I'm also a Luddite because I prefer absolute co-witness on my red dots. I shot irons sight for a good number of years and have spent a lot of time establishing a relationship in which the sights are a certain height. I prefer the absolute co-witness because it requires no adjustment or movement.

Some times we need to consider different techniques for serious, hard core practitioners and something else for the less dedicated - NTCH works pretty good for that last group.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

I’ve always considered the nose to charging handle technique to jive better with a more traditional somewhat bladed style stance. I know it can be adapted to being more squared up, but I’ve personally always found it pretty contrived feeling when doing so.

I’m a little biased though, b/c I have pretty long arms (I’m 6’2” with a + 2" ape index) but I run the carbine MUCH more efficiently with the stock fully extended. With hard plates, I’m typically in two clicks on a 6 position tube.

I also find running the gun longer more closely approximates my (isosceles-ish) handgun shooting arm position and that’s a consistency that I appreciate. [shrug]

Spend some time putting rounds downrange from a variety of positions and see what you find works best for YOU. The timer and the target don't lie.

I actually tend to run the stock shorter, only one or two clicks out. I also use the toe of the stock in the pocket between pec and shoulder socket. This provides me with a consistent cheeckweld and head up stance that works well for me in 3gn or other things.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Extend stock all way out.
    Push forward one click.
    Run like that.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I'm low speed, but find all the way out on adjustables fits me best. I prefer fixed stocks. The old SP1/A1 stocks worked well on running rabbits for me, when the A2 stocks came out, they felt even better to me. I still shoot bladed, and dont have any armor or plates, so that probably makes me an outlier. Whatever works for the individual in question. probably good to try different things.

I think Im about a hands width from the CH normally.

User Tag List