Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What advice would you give to your younger self?

One thing? Join the military.

There's much more I'd want to say, because there's so much I'd want myself to do differently, but I think that would have put me on the path to figuring most of it out a lot sooner in life.

Sink all your money in that new startup called Apple Computer.

- When you have a choice (and you do), don't hang out in the hood with a bunch of 18-23 year olds, no matter how fun some of the activities may seem. The stories aren't worth the headache.
    - Drug users/abusers and alcoholics aren't worth your time, even if they're decent/interesting/funny people.
    - That's a them problem, not a you problem. Let them handle it.
    - If it isn't going anywhere, cut the cord and go hang out with somebody who reciprocates your efforts. Also, hot/crazy matrix x1000.
    - Your father may actually be onto something when it comes to advice about mechanical stuff, finances, and a few other things -- pay attention, no matter how grating it may seem at times.
    - At least pretend you care about going to college and don't make it a last-minute decision. Wasted potential sucks.

Keep your mouth shut. Smiling and nodding > arguing 99.9% of the time.

Read contracts before signing them.

Don't smoke.

Don't drunk dial ANYBODY.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Quote Originally Posted by warpedcamshaft View Post
    What advice would you give to your younger self?

Say you could tell your younger self one thing by some metaphysical aberration... What would you say?
    "Don't get out of the Coast Guard, you'll regret it when you're older. Don't marry that girl. Don't marry the next one either, in fact, dedicate yourself to a life of self-fulfillment and debauchery. Be successful, have money, bang random hoes, but don't fuckin' get married."

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    Does that mean you wouldn't also tell yourself to not buddy-fuck the internet by helping to make a certain blog more relevant than it deserves?
    If I never got out of the Coast Guard, I never would have had the opportunity to ruin the internet!

Don't try and die on every hill.

Let most stuff role off your shoulders.

Know when to shut the fuck up.

Marry the same girl you did the first and only time, because she's the best thing that will ever happen to you.

Don't do anything different in raising your kids, because they'll all turn out to be pretty stand up folks.

In 1987 when the Navy offers you advanced training in your field, dont take it. It will screw you out of SEALs and that's the whole reason you were there to begin with.

In 1992, lead with the front sight just a bit more. You'll catch more meat that way.

Between 1994 and 1996, realize your senior shift partner is a complete tool shed and don't listen to a thing that shit stain says.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 07-18-2017 at 05:46 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I probably wouldn't listen to it, but "Take school seriously, even though you feel like you're just there to satisfy your parents' expectations. All that shit you're doing that *isn't* learning is worthless."

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Fear less. Go further. Push harder. Drop out of high school sooner; it has no effect on anything. Travel even more. Ignore the advice from your parents; it all turns out to be wrong. Don't wait for rescue; it never comes. Don't get in the Datsun outside of Barstow. Pursue happiness rather than concrete goals. Ignore everyone who thinks you're throwing your life away. Don't worry so much about marrying Erin; it works out great. Don't stay in any midwestern cities longer than a month or two. Don't kick yourself for being incapable of fitting in to any organization, anywhere, ever. That will ultimately turn out to be the thing that gives you the unique voice that makes the people who listen to you, listen.

Oh and sort out the carb on the Dodge before you go; it has a serious vacuum leak and you don't figure it out until after you miss a show in Reno that ends up being pretty legendary. But don't show up with the guy from Atlanta, he stabs some guy in the face and people will just assume you know him and you will have to talk down an angry mob.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Wag more.

Bark less.

User Tag List