Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fixing shooting to the right- Left Handed shooter

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    This may or may not help because my trainers don't have much in your immediate area for through the end of the year. Ironically, Tom Givens (see GJM's post above) just moved away the Memphis area about a year ago. You might contact @Tom Givens to see if he can recommend anyone local. I'm sure he'd be happy to help.

September 2: Contextual Handgun - Armed Parent/Guardian with Melody Lauer and John Johnston. Little Rock area. Day one afternoon is general live fire fundamentals that's not specific to being a Armed Parent/ Guardian.

Sept 9-10: Massad Ayoob Group: MAG-20 Live Fire. Centerton, AR (NW AR).

Sept 9-10: Combative Pistol: Rangemaster (Tom Givens): New Orleans, LA
    Thank you for the class recommendations! I am really interested in the parent based one in Little Rock. I have a little 2 year old son and have actually wondered how best to handle a situation with him involved.

GJM, excellent and interesting video. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bowman_15 View Post
    Thank you for the class recommendations! I am really interested in the parent based one in Little Rock. I have a little 2 year old son and have actually wondered how best to handle a situation with him involved.
    Facebook video: Melody Lauer on how their Armed Parent class is structured.
    David S.

Update:
    Did around 50 dry fire practice draws today focusing on trigger control. There was some very slight vibration/ movement when the trigger broke and I am still working to have no movement. I worked on my grip during the draw. Something I was uncertain of was when to begin the trigger pull on the draw.

I then went and did some live fire on my place. I focused on shooting at ~7 yards. I began with a 9 shot slow string to see where I am at currently. First shot was a little high and right. Second shot was in the yellow of the target. 😁 I suppose I got too exciting and sent a flyer on the 3rd shot.

I then proceeded to shooting a drill drawing from concealment and firing 2 rounds at target. I used my phone with a shot timer app (unsure how accurate it was) and my headphones with Bluetooth to hear the beep. I managed 2.7 sec for the string with a split between .5 and .7 average while still keeping hits on plate at 7 yards.

A few things I noticed:
    1. While focusing on getting hits, the draw, etc. I didn't think about recoil. There were a few times I rushed the time between shots though and didn't let my sights settle.

2. I may invest in a good OWB holster to practice for now. I was using my AIWB holster and while it worked well I would prefer to develop the draw mechanics from an OWB holster.

3. I am currently using a JRC AIWB CDA-2 holster. I really love this holster. It works well for concealment and is relatively comfortable. I did notice though that I was beginning to feel the heat some from the gun towards the end of the session. The other thing that occurred was the slide guard isn't very stiff and can fold over some and obstruct the reholster. Easily seen and fixed but something I was aware of quickly.

4. I probably should invest in a proper shot timer. My phone set up works for now but I'd prefer to not have my phone out at the range. Any recommendations?

Name:  20170724_183852.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  67.6 KB
    Name:  20170724_183852.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  67.6 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The top pictures should be rotated 90 degrees to the right. Can't seem to do it on my phone.

I also forgot to say I had 1 FTF where the round failed to feed properly from the magazine.
    Last edited by Bowman_15; 07-24-2017 at 09:12 PM.

I apologize for 3 posts in a row but I must have missed the edit window.

I forgot to mention that while shooting about half of the white paint in my front sight fell out. Is there a specific type of paint I can use to replace it?

Also I realized that I need spare magazines. I currently only have 1 magazine. Makes it challenging to practice reloads lol.

Fixing shooting to the right- Left Handed shooter

I forgot to mention that while shooting about half of the white paint in my front sight fell out. Is there a specific type of paint I can use to replace it?

I've had good success with Elmer's Painters Pen brand paint pen at Hobby Lobby or WalMart. About $5. I use the Bright Orange on the front, and black on the rear.

http://www.hobbylobby.com/Art-Suppli...arker/p/135650
    Last edited by RJ; 07-24-2017 at 11:29 PM.

The top pictures should be rotated 90 degrees to the right. Can't seem to do it on my phone.

I also forgot to say I had 1 FTF where the round failed to feed properly from the magazine.
    Ok, is this the correct orientation?

Just a thought, but this thread has a bunch of printable targets, free:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ntable-Targets

For starters, try post #7, and print the 25 yard Repair Center B8. Shoot 10 rounds at 3 yards, post the target here.

What kind of ammo was it?

Is the magazine new? Have you cleaned it?

4. I probably should invest in a proper shot timer. My phone set up works for now but I'd prefer to not have my phone out at the range.
    I have this one. It works pretty well:

http://www.brownells.com/shooting-ac...prod22292.aspx

User Tag List