Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fixing shooting to the right- Left Handed shooter

Quote Originally Posted by Bowman_15 View Post
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll look into the suggestions and research some instructors near me for a class.
    FWIW, I'm building a website to help people find good classes around the country. It's rough and I have a bunch more to add, but it might be a good place to start.

FirearmsTrainingHub.com

(I don't make any money with it (yet), so I hope nobody minds my blatant pimping.)
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    The Apex DCAEK was a vast improvement to the trigger.
    I'd be really hesitant to suggest $93 aftermarket trigger doodads to someone who is still working on the basics of marksmanship. Way too many self-taught, beginner shooters think hardware is the solution, and I don't think we'd want to be perpetuate that train of thought here.

My agency issued M&Ps first gen in 9mm for a while.

I pushed shots to the left and found that routine dry firing helped tremendously. I also found that experimenting with the backstraps and adding a Talon grip got my trigger finger placement where it needed to be. Shots soon centered after that.

My agency, instead of diagnosing problems with shooters, thought that there was an inherent design flaw in the gun as most shooters pushed shots left (righties) or right (southpaws). For me, it was my trigger finger pushing the entire pistol to the left juuuuuust ever so slightly at the shot break. Dry fire showed it plain as day as I would pick out a target in the distance and then break the shot. That front sight would jump just a little to the left.......showing me that it was me and not the gun.

I do it with Glocks too but have overcome it with dry fire. The little glocks (g42, g43) really bring out the weakness in my trigger action as the frames are smaller and I have large hands. I have to really concentrate to not throw rounds left with those models.

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    My agency issued M&Ps first gen in 9mm for a while.

I pushed shots to the left and found that routine dry firing helped tremendously. I also found that experimenting with the backstraps and adding a Talon grip got my trigger finger placement where it needed to be. Shots soon centered after that.

My agency, instead of diagnosing problems with shooters, thought that there was an inherent design flaw in the gun as most shooters pushed shots left (righties) or right (southpaws). For me, it was my trigger finger pushing the entire pistol to the left juuuuuust ever so slightly at the shot break. Dry fire showed it plain as day as I would pick out a target in the distance and then break the shot. That front sight would jump just a little to the left.......showing me that it was me and not the gun.

I do it with Glocks too but have overcome it with dry fire. The little glocks (g42, g43) really bring out the weakness in my trigger action as the frames are smaller and I have large hands. I have to really concentrate to not throw rounds left with those models.

Regards.
    Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

On the note of trigger upgrades, I've actually thought about getting the kit from Apex. It wouldn't solve my issues but I feel there is something you be said for not starting behind the curve as well when trying to learn. I may still consider it.

I've looked at picking up some snap caps as well for dry fire practice. Are these beneficial?

I'm thinking strongly about a class. Any recommendations around Memphis TN/Jonesboro AR?

Randy Cain (Cumberland Tactics) or Tom Givens!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Fixing shooting to the right- Left Handed shooter

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

On the note of trigger upgrades, I've actually thought about getting the kit from Apex. It wouldn't solve my issues but I feel there is something you be said for not starting behind the curve as well when trying to learn. I may still consider it.

I've looked at picking up some snap caps as well for dry fire practice. Are these beneficial?

I'm thinking strongly about a class. Any recommendations around Memphis TN/Jonesboro AR?
    I'm a believer in the Apex parts. In particular the Striker block.

The USB which comes with the D/CAEK fundamentally reduces the initial take up profile and removes the grit that eventually gets polished off the OEM part by firing.

The Sear trips at (IIRC) 5.5 lbs, vs. stock 8 lbs (again, if I recall right) so the press is much easier to manage.

The Apex parts addressed what most consider one of the major problems with the M&P FS9 Gen 1, the trigger (the other being accuracy).

I liked mine a lot, but I liked it much more with the Apex kit. If money was an issue I'd just get the USB, you'll notice right away.

I bought a set of Tipton snap caps in 2015. I don't use them much. I think I tried a few mixed in some magazines, but I could not self diagnose my problem to say they helped.

Regular dry practice can help a lot more.

Good for trying to find an instructor. It really is probably the quickest way to diagnose things you are doing wrong. If I was made of money I'd have done that earlier myself, but I'm retired and have lots of time and like to figure things out for myself.
    Last edited by RJ; 07-19-2017 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    I'm a believer in the Apex parts. In particular the Striker block.

The USB which comes with the D/CAEK fundamentally reduces the initial take up profile and removes the grit that eventually gets polished off the OEM part by firing.

The Sear trips at (IIRC) 5.5 lbs, vs. stock 8 lbs (again, if I recall right) so the press is much easier to manage.

The Apex parts addressed what most consider one of the major problems with the M&P FS9 Gen 1, the trigger (the other being accuracy).

I liked mine a lot, but I liked it much more with the Apex kit. If money was an issue I'd just get the USB, you'll notice right away.

I bought a set of Tipton snap caps in 2015. I don't use them much. I think I tried a few mixed in some magazines, but I could not self diagnose my problem to say they helped.

Regular dry practice can help a lot more.

Good for trying to find an instructor. It really is probably the quickest way to diagnose things you are doing wrong. If I was made of money I'd have done that earlier myself, but I'm retired and have lots of time and like to figure things out for myself.
    Money is definitely tight currently. I'm beginning my second year of medical school so training budget/time is tight. Trying to maximize my efforts. ☺

Thanks for the equipment suggestion. This site has been great to me for helping with equipment choices. I've been lucky enough to avoid the drawer full of holsters and extra gear lol.

GJM, thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into both. Quickly looking at Tom's site though no basic classes seem to be on the schedule.

This may or may not help because my trainers don't have much in your immediate area for through the end of the year. Ironically, Tom Givens (see GJM's post above) just moved away the Memphis area about a year ago. You might contact @Tom Givens to see if he can recommend anyone local. I'm sure he'd be happy to help.

September 2: Contextual Handgun - Armed Parent/Guardian with Melody Lauer and John Johnston. Little Rock area. Day one afternoon is general live fire fundamentals that's not specific to being a Armed Parent/ Guardian.

Sept 9-10: Massad Ayoob Group: MAG-20 Live Fire. Centerton, AR (NW AR).

Sept 9-10: Combative Pistol: Rangemaster (Tom Givens): New Orleans, LA
    Last edited by David S.; 07-19-2017 at 11:53 PM.
    David S.

Money is definitely tight currently. I'm beginning my second year of medical school so training budget/time is tight. Trying to maximize my efforts. ☺

Thanks for the equipment suggestion. This site has been great to me for helping with equipment choices. I've been lucky enough to avoid the drawer full of holsters and extra gear lol.

GJM, thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into both. Quickly looking at Tom's site though no basic classes seem to be on the schedule.
    Be an idea to email Tom, explain your situation, and ask for a recommendation for an instructor in the Memphis area. Tom has a lot of experience in the region.

Reference Randy Cain, @GJM is correct, I've heard his name more than a couple times as an excellent diagnostic instructor.

Here is an excellent and relevant Leatham video:

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List