Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fixing shooting to the right- Left Handed shooter

Fixing shooting to the right- Left Handed shooter

Hello Pistol-forum,

I've recently began to work on improving my shot. My group sizing is pretty large and needs improved but I have noticed that I'm consistently shooting to the right. What might I be doing wrong and how can I solve it?

Also can you recommend a few drills to improve my basic pistol shooting?

Thanks,
    Bowman

Welcome to PF, Bowman. There are several threads in this sub forum that actually answer your question quite well. Unfortunately, due to the nature of the question, the answer could be a veritable myriad of fixes. My suggestion is to read through some of those threads first. The threads will also point you in the direction of some drills as well, but most drills around here help with improvement. For that I'd also check out the "Drill of the Week" section.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Welcome.

I'm pretty new to shooting, and a lefty as well.

My whole training journal is about shooting low and right:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....aining-journal

My thoughts after working on this for three or so years:

- Regular, effective, dry practice. Especially wall drills (focus on front sight, press through)

This thread is awesome:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....dated-12-04-16

- "The Test" Drill: 10 rounds in 10 seconds at 10 yards on an NRA B8 target. Shoot for score and record progress. Initial goal: all 10 in the Black.

- Experiment with grip sizes and trigger finger placement.

Hint: At a recent class, I was told my finger was too close to the frame. As a result, I was steering the pistol down and right. I opened up a gap as suggested by my Instructor, and my accuracy and groups improved.

- Seek out good instruction. An instructor I highly recommend is Tom Givens. His two-day Combative Pistol Class was what I really could have used in 2014, when I was starting to shoot.

- Start a Training Journal and track your progress.

Good luck!

Rich
    Last edited by RJ; 07-18-2017 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowman_15 View Post
    Hello Pistol-forum,

I've recently began to work on improving my shot. My group sizing is pretty large and needs improved but I have noticed that I'm consistently shooting to the right. What might I be doing wrong and how can I solve it?

Also can you recommend a few drills to improve my basic pistol shooting?

Thanks,
    Bowman
    The single most important thing you can do is to immediately seek out high quality instruction, ideally in a tutorial setting. This will set you up with proper technique, and start you on your path to improvement. Alternatively you can spend years, and thousands of dollars on guns and ammunition, reinforcing bad habits, by learning to do it "for free" on the internet.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Might I ask a question- Are we talking about a Glock?

Quote Originally Posted by OPSPEC View Post
    Might I ask a question- Are we talking about a Glock?
    I'm using a M&P 9mm FS Gen 1.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll look into the suggestions and research some instructors near me for a class.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowman_15 View Post
    I'm using a M&P 9mm FS Gen 1.
    I had one of those.

The Apex DCAEK was a vast improvement to the trigger.
    Last edited by RJ; 07-18-2017 at 05:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    I had one of those.

The Apex DCAEK was a vast improvement to the trigger.
    For the record, that's not going to prevent the low-right shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    For the record, that's not going to prevent the low-right shooting.

Really? I'd have thought so.

It's been quite some time since I shot my Gen 1 M&P, but before I sold it I put the OEM parts back in (sear and striker block). Man, that 8 lb press was brutal (Apex is what, 5.5 lbs?)

The profile of the Apex USB is (imho) vastly improved over the stock item. The OEM item always felt gritty and much less smooth than the Apex Block.

I guess I was thinking a 'better' trigger would help the OP. You're right, it won't fix fundamental issues, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Really? I'd have thought so.

It's been quite some time since I shot my Gen 1 M&P, but before I sold it I put the OEM parts back in (sear and striker block). Man, that 8 lb press was brutal (Apex is what, 5.5 lbs?)

The profile of the Apex USB is (imho) vastly improved over the stock item. The OEM item always felt gritty and much less smooth than the Apex Block.

I guess I was thinking a 'better' trigger would help the OP. You're right, it won't fix fundamental issues, for sure.
    A better trigger will be easier to shoot, sure. But as you just stated, it's a bandaid fix masking the root cause.

User Tag List