Thread: Dry Drills sim. to Claude's that .....

Dry Drills sim. to Claude's that .....

My search-fu is admittedly weak but I'm looking for additional dry fire drills sim. to Claude's that I already have on my ghey phone. Claude's are good but I've been asking him about another edition for quite some time (9+ months) now w/ out success.

Started using his Pistol Practice Program on my iphone along w/ reduced size targets from Stoeger almost 2yrs ago but not a gamer per say. I use those in conjunction w/ shooting a monthly USPSA & steel match (3rd Sat 3G no mas now) to keep my defensive skill sets honed, as I've been EDCing long before CHL's were created. Couple this w/ 2-3 classes per yr., from some cats named DB & Wayne in the MetroMess & I call it good.

Any suggestions/advice for additional dry-fire drills that can be down loaded & kept on a phone (VG for when traveling) w/ the goal being sustainment work for EDC would be much appreciated.

Steggers books are all digital if desired.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Even if you don't intend to be a "gamer" I think Ben's books are awesome for just plain skill building. Don't think of it as competition skills, think of it as technical shooting skills. The par times he has are extremely challenging, the different drills are designed to work different shooting skills, and they can all be tailored to whatever space you are using.

If you have already been through Ben's books to ad nauseum:
    -Steve Anderson also has a dry fire book. I don't own and haven't used Steve's book so I can't speak to the quality level, although many seem to say they're great.
    -Watch Tim Herron's youtube and incorporate some of his actual shooting routines in dry fire, or mimic some of his different setups.
    -Recreate any classifier and dry fire it. They all seem to work fundamental skills of shooting.
    -Think of what skills you have the most room to improve on. Work them.
    -Incorporate simple manipulations while moving.
    -Practice deploying a knife, especially if you carry a folder (I consider this defensive dry practice, having a trainer folder is great)
    -Take what you have been doing, and add additional targets.
    -Take what you have been doing, and lower the par time.
    -Take what you have been doing, and do it while side stepping.
    -Take what you have been doing, and add a verbal command.
    -Take what you have been doing, and think about how it could change (priority of what target gets shot first, no longer needs to get shot, moves slightly, needs to get shot more, whatever).
    -Take what you have been doing, and do it in the dark with a light.
    -Do it with movement, verbal command, light, a no shoot, and extra target, with a challenging par time.

I feel like it could never get stale.

-Cory

Owe ya one Cory & ....

Cory thank ya much for the detailed reply, I appreciate it.

Re. my not desiring to be a gamer, the term "skill builder" seems appropriate for what I'm trying to accomplish aka trying to keep my edge w/ time on a piece when live fire isn't available. The daily dry work in conjunction w/ 2-3 matches a month are my sustainment blocks & coupled w/ 2-3 classes per year, well I call it good.

As stated in my first post, Claude's set of 4 dry drills are well done & having them on my ph. makes them great for being OTR as I also take 2 of Ben's reduced sizes targets w/ me. If only he'd do a 2nd gen of these but there must be other accomplished folks who offer something sim.

If any other PF folks can steer me to an SME trainer w/ defensive oriented dry drills already created that can easily be added to a ph. (no prob. paying) I'm all ears.

I think what you're going to hear is there really aren't too many defensive oriented dry drills. There's fundamentals, and there's tactics, and dry fire covers the former. There are little specifics you can tweak for an advantage in the real world vs a game but that's just up to your philosophies. An el pres tests the exact same skills whether you use a press out with a concealed shield or an open gun out of a race holster. The times may need to be slightly tweaked for variables but that goes for every drill.

YMMV but basically just be Gabe and you're golden.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    I think what you're going to hear is there really aren't too many defensive oriented dry drills. There's fundamentals, and there's tactics, and dry fire covers the former. There are little specifics you can tweak for an advantage in the real world vs a game but that's just up to your philosophies. An el pres tests the exact same skills whether you use a press out with a concealed shield or an open gun out of a race holster. The times may need to be slightly tweaked for variables but that goes for every drill.

YMMV but basically just be Gabe and you're golden.
    hahahaha, just be Gabe and you're golden. Why didn't I think of that?

Yeah, I think adding in the other stuff is more just to keep it fresh. You're totally right that dry fire is really just about improving fundamentals. The other stuff is just things to add every now and then to keep it from being stale. But I honestly haven't gotten to a point where it feels stale. I doubt I ever will.

-Cory

Speaking of Gabe... There's a darn near endless assortment of drills in out very own "Drills of the Week" forum. The great majority of which are completely applicable in dry fire. If ya print some 1/8 and 1/4 sized targets to go along with your 1/2 sized ones (maybe add a couple full sized too?), you can replicate a bunch of those drills in a relatively small space.

User Tag List