Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: Mid size truck

RFI: Mid size truck

Hi guys. I am looking for some recommendations for a new mid size truck. This will be my first truck, family already has a Subaru outback but I hate going to home Depot and hauling project materials in the subie. Plus this will be a daily driver.

So looking for something that is comfortable enough for a daily driver for 30 miles.
    Can haul the family unit.
    Doesn't require a cdl to park it.
    Decent cargo and towing capacity.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Hey man,

It would be helpful if you could define your terms a little. How big is the family unit? Do you have any kids in car seats? What do you define as decent cargo and towing capacity? Do you have something specific you need to tow, like a camp trailer, etc?

Also, is four wheel drive important to you?
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Are we talking pickup (Chevy Colorado/Toyota Tacoma) size, 1500, 2500, or 3500 size?

F150, GMC 1500, Tundra. They're all just half-tons.

The smaller trucks cost as much, burn as much fuel, are not comfortable, are too little, and don't hold up as well to actual use.

The Toyota Tacoma is the most overpriced, overrated and underwhelming vehicle on the road, ever.

As a former owner of an '07 Tacoma Pre Runner, I completely agree with M2CattleCo. It held up just fine and will drive on for a long time, but real world fuel economy was within the margin of error with a full size (F150, 1500) truck. New full size truck motors are turning in some pretty decent gas mileage numbers, so for me, there is just no reason to choose the less comfortable, less capable compact truck anymore.

Decide how much you need to haul. For instance, A year ago I ran down to Home Depot to rent a tiny Kubota front end loader with backhoe to do some yard work. They required at least a half ton tow vehicle (which I'm not sure if the Tundra counts as) to rent the equipment. Several other things required 3/4+ sized trucks.

With that, Ford vs Chevy vs Ram vs Toyota: They're all going to be about the same. Pick the one with the features you like, avoid modding it (particularly chipping it), and rock on.

I'm not much of a Ram fan personally (I think their interiors leave much to be desired), but if I were in the market for a late model 150/1500 sized truck I'd be looking into how their Eco-Diesel is working out. (I don't know.)

Cheers,
    David S.
    David S.

I like the 3.5 liter V6 Tacoma with the 6-speed manual. The automatic sucks.

But if I weren't going that route - Tundra.

After that F150.

Site Supporter
    I had a Tacoma but moved up to a 2015 Ram 1500 Hemi - we really enjoy the larger truck.

I am going to disagree to some extent on the "get a half ton" statement. If you were towing, hauling heavier loads, etc. then I would recommend them but for the everyday driver, I would go as compact as possible.

It has been a while since I have been in the truck market but I had a 2002 Toyota Tacoma V6 TRD and that thing was really light and nimble, especially off road. I traded it for a 2004 2500 Dodge Cummins to pull a travel trailer and while I love the power of the Dodge, and it has been very reliable, I miss the compactness and agility of the Toyota. The larger trucks are quite a bit bigger and compared to a Subaru, they feel like a big boat.

The newer Tacomas are bigger and have bigger motors. While I have no real experience with them, I would guess they are still more agile than a 1500 series.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Drive every half ton on the market. Buy the one you like best.

I fully expected to buy an F-150, but I ended up with a Dodge Ram 1500. I bought it new in 2012 and it's still awesome. Other than a Lincoln Towncar, it's the best road trip vehicle I've ever owned. If you are a "buy and hold" kind of guy and buy new, you can buy a lifetime bumper-to-bumper warranty through Chrysler. Note you do not have to buy through the dealership you bought the vehicle from. Shop around, including online: http://www.chryslerwarrantys.com/lifetime_warranty.cfm

Little trucks are ok if you live in a densely populated city, it's your only vehicle, and/or you intend to off road. Else step up to a 1500/150. They are extremely capable and very comfortable.

I'd recommending buying certified/warrantied pre-owned. New trucks are ridiculously expensive unless money isn't a huge factor. And there are so many seemingly computer controlled points and value engineered parts that warranty coverage can be critical.

My employer buys only Ford fleet vehicles now. Mostly F-150s from 2004 to present, ~70 of them. Not perfect but less trouble than the Chev/Dodges they try.

Personally a Toyota fan, current and past vehicles total around 700k of minimal service miles. All bought used, none newer than 2 years old. Not looking forward to my '05 Tundra dying.

User Tag List