Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Browning Hi-Powers discontinued ?

I've heard this rumor before. That being said, I see them regularly at gun shops in my corner of the world. They don't sell fast but they are out there. I picked up a nice MKIII about 3 years ago. Price isn't bad either. You can usually get them for around $900. If the rumor pans out or gains steam, those prices will jump.

It would be nice for FN to continue with limited runs every year. It has to be a major legacy item for them.

$900 isn't bad for a pistol that hasn't been updated in forever, isn't that durable, and bites your hand? Update the design with a new hammer and extended beavertail, remove the magazine safety, and improve the lifespan and then it'll be worth $900. Maybe.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I wish the whole world would begin to refer to the devices as "magazine disconnect." Whether it saves your life or gets you kilt in the streets depends entirely upon the scenario that unfolds. It's not logical to call it a "safety."
    [/PEDANTRY]

Yeah, I wish they'd get rid of the disconnect, add a beavertail no bigger than it needs to be, finish it in some version of ferritic nitro carburizing (Tenifer, Melonite, etc.) to give it extreme wear resistance, cosmetic durability and corrosion resistance the way other modern guns have, add G10 or at least modern design grips and modern sights. Then charge the same price, not $1400 MSRP.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

This saddens me. I suppose, since Novak's is only selling sights these days, that it's fitting. Gone are the days when a Novak Hi-Power was de rigueur. Sure, other smiths turn out wonderful examples of the P35, no argument at all. But anyone who was anyone had a Novak Hi Power. I blame the kids. They all want those plasticky, glocky things, today. Time moves on. Sigh.
    Last edited by Inkwell 41; 07-18-2017 at 08:37 PM.

Bummer, it's a gorgeous pistol in both blued and two tone blued over hard chrome. That said, I never could wrap my mind around the trigger, and couldn't convince myself to buy one and send it off for work. I liken it's SAO trigger to getting hamburger on a pizza. In theory it should be great, but then you take a bite and your mind tells you it should taste like sausage and it sucks. I'm not paying big bucks for a hamburger pizza only to send it of to get sausage put on after I get it.

WTF did I just say?
    Last edited by StraitR; 07-18-2017 at 08:49 PM. Reason: LOL

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    FWIW, the out-of-the-box triggers that I've handled on the newer Hi Powers for the past several years have been surprisingly decent, even with the magazine safety. I do second the comment that Hi Powers are relatively small in the hand-I had to bulk up the grip of mine with a Hogue fingergroove rubber grip to obtain a natural positioning for my trigger finger.

While long-term durability with higher round counts isn't necessarily a Hi Power's stellar feature, reliability is. It's very unusual to have a Mk III that isn't totally reliable with virtually any 9mm or .40 cartridge.

Best, Jon
    I was pleasantly surprised by the trigger in mine. As you said, pretty decent. A bit heavy, but I actually like my triggers not light. The grip is practically made for my small hands. Maybe down the road it will go to Robar for a beavertail, stippling, and NP3 treatment. Now, the bluing is too deep and purdy to contemplate messing with it.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Bummer, it's a gorgeous pistol in both blued and two tone blued over hard chrome.
    Indeed, the blue over chrome Hi Power reminds me of the old Pachmayr Combat Specials, some of the nicest looking 1911s ever made IMO.

a few years back there was a Mark II from 1984 that looked unfired at one the gun shops I go to, the trigger is @ 3.5 to 4 lb. and the mag disconnector still in, I took it off to put it back again trigger went really light, to this day I can't figure why such a nice trigger pull on a gun that is notorious for a heavy trigger, I used to carry it.
    Last edited by ca survivor; 07-21-2017 at 03:11 PM.

This news doesn't surprise me, but it does make me very, very sad. In the small group of pistols to which I apply the term "sexy", the BHP is darned near at the top of the list; especially in old school blue with nice wood grips. With the impending discontinuation, I'm sure the prices will jump through the roof - maybe not to HK P7 levels, but way higher than necessary.

When my agency added Browning to the list of approved personal weapons a couple of years back, my buddy and I joked that we were going to buy a pair of BHPs each, get custom dual-shoulder rigs for them, and carry them EVERYWHERE, just to piss off the typical "why do we have to carry guns?" agents and managers. Of course, we then looked at the price of BHPs, and the dream came to a quick end.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    This news doesn't surprise me, but it does make me very, very sad. In the small group of pistols to which I apply the term "sexy", the BHP is darned near at the top of the list; especially in old school blue with nice wood grips. With the impending discontinuation, I'm sure the prices will jump through the roof - maybe not to HK P7 levels, but way higher than necessary.

When my agency added Browning to the list of approved personal weapons a couple of years back, my buddy and I joked that we were going to buy a pair of BHPs each, get custom dual-shoulder rigs for them, and carry them EVERYWHERE, just to piss off the typical "why do we have to carry guns?" agents and managers. Of course, we then looked at the price of BHPs, and the dream came to a quick end.
    I would not not be surprised if BHP prices jumped just like Colt Pythons and HK P7s, all three are way over-rated.

User Tag List