Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Browning Hi-Powers discontinued ?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    In blue, it is a thing of beauty and feels like nothing else in the hand. But the trigger kills it for me. Compared to any "good" SA, it's painfully long, heavy, rough, creepy, etc. in stock form. There are all-metal DA/SA and SAO options that have vastly better triggers, better factory sights, are lighter, hold more rounds, have better corrosion resistance, are more durable and cost less. For an out-of-the-box gun to use, it's just not competitive anymore. People doing projects where the whole thing will be rebuilt can save a few Benjamins by starting with a used one. Collectors generally want old ones. The one you buy today is basically identical, functionally and cosmetically, to one you bought 23 years ago. It's easy to see why they aren't moving. If they'd fixed the trigger and sold variations with improved grips and sights from the factory, they'd probably have sold more.

I'll be watching CDNN...
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I know where there's a brand new one in .40. It's probably been there for a couple years but that shop hardly ever moves anything. I have no idea how he's still in business.

About once a decade I buy one, because I love the gun. Then, I'm reminded it's just too small for my hands and off it goes. If FN has finally stopped production I'm not surprised. In fact, the only surprise is it's taken this long. The design hasn't aged as well as the 1911 and the cost has reached the ridiculous for a gun with a spray on/ bake on finish and one of the worst triggers on the current market. I've always intended to get a vintage HP with a nice blued finish, just 'cause. Maybe I'd better jump on that before prices get crazy stupid.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

An IWI Jericho 941 9mm can do everything a HiPower can for 44% less money with two more rounds in the mag and a vastly superior factory trigger.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    About once a decade I buy one, because I love the gun. Then, I'm reminded it's just too small for my hands and off it goes. If FN has finally stopped production I'm not surprised. In fact, the only surprise is it's taken this long. The design hasn't aged as well as the 1911 and the cost has reached the ridiculous for a gun with a spray on/ bake on finish and one of the worst triggers on the current market. I've always intended to get a vintage HP with a nice blued finish, just 'cause. Maybe I'd better jump on that before prices get crazy stupid.
    In addition to other complaints listed here, the safety always feels a bit mushy and not as positive as a 1911. I did get to check out a BHP that had a full beavertail (Novak IIRC) and it was awesome.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Too bad. A BHP that doesn't run is an anomaly, while a 9mm 1911 that does run out of the box is still a pleasant surprise.

I love mine. I do hate to see them go...but I understand it for all the reasons stated here. Im just glad I got one while they were out there. End of an era.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

FWIW, the out-of-the-box triggers that I've handled on the newer Hi Powers for the past several years have been surprisingly decent, even with the magazine safety. I do second the comment that Hi Powers are relatively small in the hand-I had to bulk up the grip of mine with a Hogue fingergroove rubber grip to obtain a natural positioning for my trigger finger.

While long-term durability with higher round counts isn't necessarily a Hi Power's stellar feature, reliability is. It's very unusual to have a Mk III that isn't totally reliable with virtually any 9mm or .40 cartridge.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 07-18-2017 at 08:28 AM.

Site Supporter
    I'd like to have one just because I think they are interesting, good looking firearms with a history. But the price is keeping that desire in check especially since I may be embarking on a new 1911 semi-custom project.

they should just update the gun

they were expensive for the features, a beretta brig tac or m9a3 is not much more money but is a lot more gun

User Tag List