Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Browning Hi-Powers discontinued ?

Site Supporter

Browning Hi-Powers discontinued ?

Saw a few mentions of the Browning Hi-Power being discontinued.

So has FN stopped production or is Browning just stopping importation ?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    @Mas did a column about it. Maybe he has some insight to share here.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

According to their website it's some of them are discontinued but not all.

http://www.browning.com/products/fir...continued.html

http://www.browning.com/products/fir...roduction.html
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Source at Browning (USA) told me earlier this year that the last one has probably come off the FN line. Tooling was old and wearing out, I was told, and demand had dropped profoundly. Sad.

I have not seen a new Hi Power in a gun shop in over a decade.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I'm not sure if I've EVER seen a new one in a LGS. The MSRP is pretty damn high on them. I've never shot one before, but I've held a couple. Even with a ringed hammer I was very clearly seeing how the hammer could come back and eat up my hand. IMO they need an extended beavertail or a VERY bobbed hammer in order to be comfortable.

So yeah, if it weren't for price and comfort, I'd be more interested. Not super familiar with them apart from that though. Are they as finicky as a 1911? Are spare parts and mags hard to find for them? What are the sight options that are out there? What are some good G10 or micarta grip options?

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

I agree with demand being down-particularly at the high-ish discounted street prices of around $1K for the new ones I've seen (and I have seen 'em, usually at high-volume dealers' shops) in the past couple of years. While perfectly viable in their current incarnation, they have been surpassed in both ergos and durability by more modern contemporary offerings-and at lower (often significantly lower) prices in most cases.

I somewhat question the tooling wearing out, though. My understanding is that FN significantly retooled/revamped things with the introduction of the .40 variants in 1994, which largely carried over to the 9mm line. Cast frames. more thorough-hardened components and there were some minor parts changes requiring retooling, such as the broader trigger and revised magazine safety actuating shoe components.

However, I can see where some of the components have existed unchanged for decades, and the hardening/materials changes may not have all necessitated changes in tooling.

I think the bottom line is that the demand has slowed to a relative trickle, to the point of costs not justifying the return (even with fully amortized manufacturing capitol assets). THe British Army moving from the Hi Power to the Glock 17 probably didn't help either, although my understanding is that a significant portion of their pre-Glock inventory was from earlier production/refurbished guns as opposed to newly manufactured ones.

While I'm pleased with my .40 Mk III, time marches on, and mine has frankly become a bit of a safe queen, with but occasional use and carry.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 07-17-2017 at 04:26 PM.

Vending Machine Operator
    I think the Hi-Power is a beautiful gun.

But $800 buys a lot of gun these days.

Could never quite justify it.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Site Supporter
    A LGS has a brand new Hi Power Standard in their case priced at $1000. Beautiful gun.

While the thought of this makes me sad, I am glad that I picked up my used/LNIB one when I did.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List