Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for input on the M&P 45 Compact for a woods gun

Looking for input on the M&P 45 Compact for a woods gun

I know the USP 45 and HK 45c reign supreme in that role, but I have an opportunity to pick one up for a song. The primary function of it will be a field gun in black bear country for hikes with the family and hunting. I liked that it would be easily concealed for stops to and from such activities. The 8+1 capacity is the one downside I see. If you have experience with the M&P 45 compact, I'd love to hear your overall thoughts on the gun. Thanks.

Site Supporter
    I had one for awhile. It was a great gun, very accurate and reliable. I don't see .45 super being necessary for black bears and +p 45 should be fine in an M&P 45C. In general the .45's are the best of the M&P line.

I have a fondness for .45acp - if it was an authorized option at work I would have kept it.
    Last edited by HCM; 07-16-2017 at 10:59 AM.

I've been thinking about this myself. I can get LE pricing on an M&P45, and I'm an armorer on them. It's doubtful that I'll get to Alaska for some time if at all so I have little use for the Super capability.

Love mine....only about 400 rounds through it....it's my designated night stand gun w/ WML.

I've found it to be accurate and soft shooting.

It's also compact....about Glock 19 size....I think it'd be a good choice.
    Gun Free Zones Aren’t an Inhibition….they’re an Invitation.

If it's cheap enough grab it and play around with it. As a woods gun? I think the 9mm outdoor load thread is worth your time. I know the title says 9mm but there info there on a variety of calibers. Basically, the .45 isn't going to give you much over anything else if you choose good JHPs. HST and critical duty seem to be some of the favored loads.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....m-Outdoor-Load

I have had a 45C for a few years now and like it very much, quite accurate, totally reliable for me, only added a S&W Pro sear, Warren sights and the factory ambi safety. My only complaint is the magazine gap in the grip hits my pinky and pinches badly during firing with the flat mag base pad so I changed all my mags to the very slightly extended base pad which mitigates it for some reason.

Mine seems to fit both kydex and leather for the standard M&P 9 just fine. I carried it on a recent vacation to Wyoming as my all the time gun with Hornady 220gr +P Critical Duty which the gun really seems to like and shoots tight groups at POA. I also like the 4" barrel and associated sight radius. As Goldilocks would say, it is "just right" in my book. Indeed carries like a Glock 19. As many have stated many times, they should have made a 9mm in this profile.

I will probably ditch my skateboard tape and get this thing stippled at some point.

Wish I could buy a Gadget for it.
    Last edited by fatdog; 07-17-2017 at 09:50 PM.

If you want a woods load, I would look at the Underwood 45+P loading with the Lehigh extreme penetrator bullet.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I had one for awhile. It was a great gun, very accurate and reliable. I don't see .45 super being necessary for black bears and +p 45 should be fine in an M&P 45C. In general the .45's are the best of the M&P line.

I have a fondness for .45acp - if it was an authorized option at work I would have kept it.

The thread drifter strikes again! I too, have a fondness for the .45. Do you have any experience with the Glock G 30 S? I carried one for 2-1/2 years, selling it because I got frustrated with the mag release. Immediately after selling it, I found no less than 4 places who had remedies for it.
    Last edited by 11B10; 07-18-2017 at 09:19 AM.

Site Supporter
    I have both the compact and the mid size, and both have been the most accurate of the M&Ps I have experience with (the 9 compacts being a close second). I think the compact comes in at a perfect size that is not difficult to conceal, but leaves enough gun there to provide adequate surface for control.

I originally went with the HK45C, but found the grip a shade slippery and did not like that I could not put a full size light on the pistol if I wanted, whereas the M&Pc could at pretty much the same size. Ironically I find myself checking out the HK again as I have been looking for an AIWB .45 option and prefer a hammer.
    Polite Professional

The newer production HK45C pistols have more aggressive texture on the grip. Might be worth checking out again.

User Tag List