Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: How Did You Know?

My experience is that all the main platforms can be shot so closely, that the difference in performance is unlikely to matter except in competition (which is designed to magnify tiny differences in performance). I don't pay much attention to shooting tests as a way of picking a gun, because they measure where you are, as opposed to where you want to be in the future. I think it gets down to an intellectual decision, where you weigh the various pros and cons, and pick the platform that checks the most boxes for you. One you decide, get two or three copies, and learn to shoot. The only exception is, if you pick something other than a Glock, buy one G19, because everyone needs at least one of those.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I keep seeing posts based on cost of magazines and such. Inexpensive Glock magazines are nice, but I wouldn't base my decision on that metric. Do a TCO analysis on how much EVERYTHING will cost for that platform. And I do mean everything. Spare parts, holsters, sights, gadgets, magazines, and whatever other fiddly bits you might be putting on them. Then multiply it all by 2 or 3 because you're going to want 2 or 3 identical copies of whatever pistol you end up choosing.

Then when you've got that all added up, assume that any given "good" pistol you pick up is good for at least 50,000 rounds, so work up the cost of 50,000 rounds for starters just as a "this is what it will cost to feed these beasts in order to train, practice, and get better". I think you'll find that ammo cost will probably be your deciding cost factor and that everything else is largely a drop in the bucket.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    It doesn't matter to anyone else what pistols I've chosen, but I'll explain why I chose them. I chose my primary handgun (the shooter is the platform) because I like it. I like the balance. I like the trigger. I like how it fits my hand. I like the controls. I like how it points and shoots naturally. I had a good idea my current EDC was going to be just what I wanted while handling it at the gunshop. I knew it was what I was looking for before I'd put a box of rounds through it. Of course, I've been shooting for a few decades so I knew what I liked and disliked about a variety of handguns. As far as emotions go, I don't believe in getting something you don't like

That's fair enough. And we all ultimately must choose. But make no mistake about it, some people love the feel of a gun and have problems shooting it.

I think you hit on some key issues. For many, how the gun feels is actually how it makes them feel. i.e. emotion not fit. So each person has to think about that issue. And of course my biggest complaint about this issue isn't that you, me, Langdon, etc want to use a certain trigger or pistol. It's not the experienced that we have to worry about. It's the new or inexperienced. They suffer from our out of context biases.

Tangent not directed at you Mist:

So if I struggled to learn a certain trigger for years, but never needed the pistol to save my life then there is nothing lost. Now 20 years later I'm now a master trainer guru. Should I just tell the newer shooter that there is nothing wrong with using my platform? What happens when they get robbed during the second month of training and they were struggling to learn it just like I did? Yeah, we will make fun of them with some snarky comment and move on. We sometimes forget our own history of problems or our own history that don't have problems(we just got it). How can someone who never struggled to learn to shoot help someone who is struggling? There are ways, but just do it my way isn't usually one of them.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

One of the most emotional reasons used in pistol selection is, "(insert famous person) uses it", "The FBI uses it" or, "Special forces uses it."

I usually use the Charles Barkley answer first, "You ain't me. You can't do what I do. You're not going to the NBA. Get good grades. Be happy, you're getting a free college education" Instead of NBA, insert famous person or Navy Seals.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JustOneGun View Post
    One of the most emotional reasons used in pistol selection is, "(insert famous person) uses it", "The FBI uses it" or, "Special forces uses it."

I usually use the Charles Barkley answer first, "You ain't me. You can't do what I do. You're not going to the NBA. Get good grades. Be happy, you're getting a free college education" Instead of NBA, insert famous person or Navy Seals.
    That could be an emotional, "I wanna be a cool kid, too" reason, or it could be more logical: "look at all the testing that's been done to those things - I want one of those!"

I once took 4 handguns to the range and shot back to back police style qualification courses with all 4. SA auto, DA only auto, TDA auto and DA revolver. Same shooter. Same day. Same range. All with full power defensive ammo. Guess what? Scores were almost the identical. Yes, I was 3 points down with the snubby, but would have qualified with all four handguns. So, for me, it isn't about finding The One, the Magic Gun, the Holy Grail. Now, I shoot what I ENJOY shooting, and I shoot what POINTS NATURALLY. When evaluating a potential handgun purchase, I sight the weapon on a target, close my eyes, lower the gun, then raise it again and open my eyes. The right gun for my hands and wrists is one that comes right back up on target.

Quote Originally Posted by JustOneGun View Post

And then again, sometimes we just like and feel comfortable with the Glock 19. (Which I started carrying in 1988 or 1989 before I had the slightest clue that anyone outside of my own circle cared about it one way or the other.)

But yeah, I agree in general with the stated premise while also feeling that the firearms carried by state, local and federal / military agencies certainly warrant looking at. While they may not necessarily be the "best" for any particular individual, they are generally pretty competent firearms for their intended purpose.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    That could be an emotional, "I wanna be a cool kid, too" reason, or it could be more logical: "look at all the testing that's been done to those things - I want one of those!"

That isn't a totally bad idea. But I would suggest to any new person that if they follow two rules they will be fine no matter what...
    1. Buy from a large manufacture such as glock, sig, hk, etc.
    2. Stay away from newly rolled out models.

Again, that still doesn't solve the problem of what type of platform to choose and why we would chose it. We've come full circle.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderCrusty View Post
    I once took 4 handguns to the range and shot back to back police style qualification courses with all 4. SA auto, DA only auto, TDA auto and DA revolver. Same shooter. Same day. Same range. All with full power defensive ammo. Guess what? Scores were almost the identical. Yes, I was 3 points down with the snubby, but would have qualified with all four handguns. So, for me, it isn't about finding The One, the Magic Gun, the Holy Grail. Now, I shoot what I ENJOY shooting, and I shoot what POINTS NATURALLY. When evaluating a potential handgun purchase, I sight the weapon on a target, close my eyes, lower the gun, then raise it again and open my eyes. The right gun for my hands and wrists is one that comes right back up on target.

Do you struggle to pass the police style qual? If not perhaps you're just a good shooter. Maybe for you it doesn't matter. But shoot something that is practical for CCW or Gaming depending on your goal and shoot that tough test. Most people start to see the difference in outcome.

An example...when I was shooting a lot and working at the range full time I took a year and became a left handed shooter. I shot perfect scores on the qual left handed, cross eye dominate. It was a good thing to do and it helped me as an instructor and one handed shooting. But I would not begin to make the mistake of thinking I had the same ability in a gunfight because I shot the same on the easy AZPOST qual. Hell, I passed well enough for SWAT the first time I strapped on a lefty holster.

Site Supporter
    I've been a 1911 user for a long time, even back when I was still carrying a K Frame .38. But a few years back I started taking an interest in the 9mm cartridge as it dawned on me how much sense it makes especially in recent years. Once several 1911 makers started offering more pistols in 9mm I took a serious look at the options. I came to the conclusion that a 9mm Lightweight Commander just makes a lot of sense as a carry gun for me. Good size, good weight, good cartridge.

My HD pistol is a full size Government model, but I'm pretty content with the 9mm Lightweight Commander as my carry gun. That doesn't mean I don't keep my mind open to other possibilities though.

User Tag List