Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Becoming an Instructor

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.

Becoming an Instructor

I have been considering the idea of becoming a firearms instructor for a couple of years now. I know that there are many on this forum that instruct and I would like to hear their opinions/advice about it and getting the required certifications.

One of the major things other than work and family commitments (more on that later) that has kept me from starting this is that I just don't know if I'm good enough. In the grand scheme of things, I am a competent shot with handguns and rifles and am an solid intermediate shooter as far as the FAST goes. I received some solid training in the Army, am a FLETC course graduate, have attended a handful of training courses, and have dabbled in instruction with friends and family. I also have an extensive background giving instruction with thousands of hours as a flight instructor as well as military topics. On top of it all, I do enjoy teaching. BUT, I'm no Todd Green and the High Speed Low Drag train has LONG left the station. In the presence of most on this forum, I'm lucky to be considered a dilettante.

What has given me the desire as of late to think seriously about instructing is the lack and abysmal quality of instructors I have met locally. A good friend of mine took an NRA personal protection class from one of my ranges "instructors" and was less than impressed both by the content of the course and the professionalism of the teacher. I may not not be qualified to carry Kyle Lamb's spit cup, but I'm a hell of a lot better than a lot of the local jokers that are passing as firearms instructors. With the ever increasing numbers of new gun owners out there, some of who are smart enough to seek training, I would hope to be able to provide a basic level of real world oriented competence to these people and maybe even serve as a feeder to the real instructors out there.

So my basic questions for the instructors out there are:

1) What certifications are needed? I assume an NRA instructor certification would be the bare minimum? What about state certifications (I know the Kalifornia DOJ has some process for the ability to issue Handgun Safety Certificates)? I qualify to take NRA Law Enforcement classes, But I'm NO COP so I would assume those classes would be a waste of time?

2) Is liability insurance needed? What happens if you instruct someone who is a bad egg? (in ROTC, we had a cadet who murdered someone in an altercation). I assume that ITAR regulations would apply to instructing foreign students? Do any of you perform background checks?

3) What about becoming a regional instructor for one of the big names? I am hoping to take and pass Paul Howe's Tactical Pistol Instructor Class this spring (planned to do it last year but a newborn squashed that idea). I know Larry Vickers also certifies instructors, what all is involved in associating yourself with a big name?

My goals for doing all this are pretty much to provide quality instruction to new civilian shooters (or folks that just want to learn how to hit more than the berm) and in doing so - do my part for nurturing the 2nd Amendment, to expand my journey in the shooting martial arts and become a better shooter, and maybe to just make enough money doing it to pay for this whole adventure.

I truly appreciate any advice you all have, even if it is "DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME" (which is pretty much what I would tell anyone dreaming of entering my profession).
    Last edited by Suvorov; 01-05-2012 at 02:54 AM.

Can't speak to your specifics, but go for it. The more you teach, the more you learn.

Todd made some specific recommendations to me awhile back about teaching. IMHO, that's made a lot of difference to me.

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...udent-question

Anybody can setup shop and call themselves an instructor. There really is no formal set of standards that you have to meet. Certain states may require certain things to be able to teach that state's licensing course, but other than that...

On Trainers and Training
    Last edited by jlw; 01-05-2012 at 06:21 PM.

In my journey I choose to get NRA certified first. This is a name and recognition that most people with a pulse have heard of. My process took 3 days, a hotel room for two nights and two boxes of ammo for the shooting portion. You do not have to be a good shot or some ninja to get NRA creds. Non shooters have rarely heard of the good gun schools or instructors. Keep in mind that to some simply having your CHL is some higher level of understanding...... which it certainly is not. Sometimes this thinking also takes places in the mind of the CHL holder as well. Bottom line is get started teaching somehow and then you really start learning yourself.
    Taking a break from social media.

Go for it.

I would go ahead with getting the NRA Basic Pistol Instructor certification under your belt. In most gun owners eyes, that gives you legitimacy. Those in the know won't be as impressed as the masses, but it's a starting point. When Ohio got its CCW law passed in 2004, the number of NRA BP instructors increased exponentially. Maybe 1 in 5 should really be teaching people how to shoot. Strive to be the one. The fact that you are a member on this board is a good sign that you are on the right track.

Just be advised that if you go the NRA route, and teach NRA classes, you are stuck with their curriculum. They revamped the book (finally) so its better than it used to be, but it is not anything near what is considered even medium speed around here.

Once you get the NRA BP cert, I'd look at getting some of the other certs from the NRA. Or go with one of the other places you mentioned. I'm certified through the NRA plus the Ohio Peace Officer Training Academy, but the Tom Givens instructor course is on my short list of classes I want to take in the near future. That course is more for my personal development as an instructor than anything else. Most of the shooting general public have no idea who Tom Givens is, so they are more impressed by the NRA and OPOTA certs than someone who would be familiar with Tom Givens.

The most important thing to understand is, as my wife is fond of telling me "know your role".

What do you see your role as being? Getting new shooters relatively proficient with their pistols? Getting them certified for their CHL? Preparing them for a tour overseas? This is where is see a lot of instructors loose their way, IMHO. Stick with what you are qualified to teach. I see this in OH quite a bit when it comes to teaching "legal" topics in CCW classes. The instructors have no formal legal training and/or use of force training and teach these topics, many times making shit up as they go along. Or they have a less than ideal grasp of what the law requires.

Insurance is available through the NRA, especially if you teach those classes. Many venues will require the instructor to carry insurance if teaching at their facility. If you can get tied in with a gun shop who will hire you as there instructor, they'll probably have a policy that covers you and them.

You're probably not gonna make a bunch of money doing this, but you may make enough to cover a class or two a year.

Have fun.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I am an NRA Certified Instructor. This is not intended to be a slight of NRA Instructor certs, but don't put more stock into them than they are really worth. There really isn't a huge level of proficiency required to get Basic Pistol or Personal Protection In The Home, and they really don't truly qualify a person to really teach the pistol as it should be taught. They are good safety courses, but they really shouldn't be looked at anything more than that.

The two main advantages to being an NRA instructor are name recognition (Hey it's the NRA!), and the fact that the cert is so easy to get. My cert class only required a skill level of 70% on a paper plate at 10 yards. Remem ber also that the NRA basic pistol class is BASIC in the purest sense of the term. It appears to be intended for the strictest novice who has never handled a gun before. If your goal is to do anything more than get new shooters on and off the line without getting anyone hurt you'll certainly want to expand beyond the NRA.

Quote Originally Posted by jlweems View Post
    I am an NRA Certified Instructor. This is not intended to be a slight of NRA Instructor certs, but don't put more stock into them than they are really worth. There really isn't a huge level of proficiency required to get Basic Pistol or Personal Protection In The Home, and they really don't truly qualify a person to really teach the pistol as it should be taught. They are good safety courses, but they really shouldn't be looked at anything more than that.

I agree completely. But in the eyes of the masses, the NRA cert gives legitimacy. If you can hear thunder and see lightning, you can pass the NRA BP instructor class. It's unfortunate that for the masses, the NRA BP instructor certificate is like some magical thing that means the holder of the cert is a wonderful instructor. Sadly, it isn't the case, nor is the fact that someone has a POST type "instructor" certification. From my experiences in Ohio, most of the "instructors" are nothing more than Range Safety Officers or Qualification officers. They can run a relatively safe range and know how to run their guys through the state mandated qualification courses, but trying to "teach" something is beyond their capabilities. Diagnose someone's shooting problems? WAY beyond their capabilities.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    Being NRA certified also allows you to purchase inexpensive liability insurance through http://www.locktonrisk.com/nrains/in...rinsurance.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    but the Tom Givens instructor course is on my short list of classes I want to take in the near future. That course is more for my personal development as an instructor than anything else. Most of the shooting general public have no idea who Tom Givens is, so they are more impressed by the NRA and OPOTA certs than someone who would be familiar with Tom Givens.
    Do this. You will definitely leave his 3 day basic instructor and 2 day advanced instructor classes a thoroughly tested and improved shooter. Not everyone passes them and some don't make it past the first 10 minutes on the range (follow instructions). Basic instructor was the most stressful shooting experience I have had, advanced seemed easier even though I'm sure the tests and times were more difficult. In basic you will get an assistant instructor to work with you or kick you across the line if it's possible. Thanks Gunny!

User Tag List