Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: M1 Carbines?

if the feed ramp area is polished then they are much better with soft points. Do an internet search for the procedure.

From what I understand feeding different types of bullets depends on the individual rifle. My arsenal rebuilt national postal meter has functioned 100% with everything I've tried so far, including soft points, critical defense, and my varminter hand loads.

I had some limited experience with the M1 back in the mid 80's and into the 90'd. My only real advice is don't buy a Universel.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

I've been looking on GunBroker and have noticed two different types.

One has what appears to be an sliding adjustable range rear sight, and the other has a flip sight type deal. Also the former has a bayonet lug and the latter doesn't.

Any opinions on these two? And what are they, a type 1 and type 2?
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Here's a link to a recent review of the new Inland version: https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...on-m1-carbine/

Note that I just paid less than this for the real thing built in 1943... a lot depends on intended use though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    I've been looking on GunBroker and have noticed two different types.

One has what appears to be an sliding adjustable range rear sight, and the other has a flip sight type deal. Also the former has a bayonet lug and the latter doesn't.

Any opinions on these two? And what are they, a type 1 and type 2?
    The early carbines had the flip sight and no bayonet lug. They also had a push safety. Late in WWII upgrades were made in part to reduce cost but they're also functional to some extent. These included better sights with sliding elevation adjustments and click knob windage adjustments, a mag catch modified to hold the longer and heavier then-new 30-round magazines (indicated by an underlined M) and a flip safety rather than the older push version which was said to be too similar to the mag catch and too easy to hit the wrong one under stress, thus the change to a different direction of travel. The later versions also had a front band with bayonet mount, the usefulness of this feature is arguable on such a short and light rifle.

Many early manufacture carbines, maybe most (and including mine) had the late hardware added during arsenal rebuilds. It's not unusual for collectors to put the old parts back to get a more "correct" build for an early receiver, or in some cases to be able to ask more money for a sale.

I suggest spending some time here http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6 there's a wealth of knowledge on carbines.

ETA: I just spent a few minutes in Canfield's "Complete Guide to the M1 Garand and the M1 Carbine" and it appears that when each feature changed depended on the manufacturer. The safety was mostly upgraded by sometime in 1943, but everything else was really variable. If it was me, for a shooter I'd prefer something with all the late features mainly because of the fully adjustable sights.
    Last edited by Salamander; 07-16-2017 at 06:57 PM.

Got an Inland GM one...in pieces, I need to have it resembled as it's beyond me.
    #RESIST

My last message was a post I had saved from a while ago. I posted it while in a rush to head out of the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    if the feed ramp area is polished then they are much better with soft points. Do an internet search for the procedure.
    From what I have heard it varies from gun to gun. But the gouge on the softpoint is from the top of the chamber. As the one pictured below. That is where it hangs up. That is also where it builds up lead from softpoints and can eventually cause function problems.

Name:  30carbine5.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  20.8 KB

Try this--chamber a softpoint in your carbine and then eject it and take a look at the softpoint. If there is a gouge or blunted area that is a clue that it is catching on some area. Even if it does feed the rounds most of the time, there may come a time when it won't. Most people just run a magazine of expensive softpoints through it and call it good.

Another issue is magazines. Some will feed softpoints better than others. Now you wind up having to run 50 rounds through each magazine to make sure it runs with softpoints. This gets time consuming and expensive.

The only round I would think would be viable is the Hornady Critical defense round that has a plastic tip in the hollowpoint to allow better feeding.
    Last edited by Ed L; 07-16-2017 at 08:21 PM.

OP, I hope you locate a good one. While I would like to own a quality M1 Carbine, and considered it several times, every time I start seriously looking, I determine:

- A forged receiver, quality model will exceed the cost of a basic Colt AR carbine (opportunity cost)
    - I am no where as competent with assembly/reassembly/detail stripping/trouble shooting/general "muscle memory" with the M1
    - Magazines and parts more expensive, harder to locate, won't be in new condition, the commercial versions may be problematic, and reports of fake USGI magazines (may extend to parts)
    - Ammunition is less prolific & more expensive; non FMJ ammo exhibits reduced range & terminal performance
    - Reliability likely won't duplicate the Colt
    - If a need for optics arises, less options for M1

In summary, when I think of it in terms of actual performance and return on investment, I don't see a plus to the M1, except nostalgia, and I'd rather put my shekels on performance over nostalgia. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    Does anybody make a reliable 9mm chambered M1 Carbine type rifle?
    The only 9mm M1 carbine-styled rifle I know of is from Chiappa and it's a POS. Next closest thing would be a Ruger PC9 carbine or Marlin Camp carbine, both discontinued but easily found. The Marlins are OK AFAIK and the Rugers are pretty good.

User Tag List