Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: M1 Carbines?

M1 Carbines?

Inspired by Ken Hackathorn's most recent post on SSD I am looking into getting an M1 Carbine.

Any advice? I'm thinking of buying one via GunBroker. Don't really know what to look for. Maybe a Fulton Armory carbine would be better?

Also - magazines (the 15-round variety). Buy NOS? Korean? Promag?

How about feeding it? Any reccomended brands? Seems like the Privi stuff is cheapest (aside from steel case which I won't shoot). Is it good to go?

I'm partial to the original configuration (not the paratrooper model), and I like Winchester but only for their logo.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

You can find an all original GI carbine in good shape for less than a Fulton, I'd shop around and leave them as a last resort. However, if a commercial carbine is what you want, they're the only one I'd consider. The rest are junk.

Stick with the 15 round GI magazines, 20 rounders don't work as reliable whether they be GI or commercial. J&G Sales has NOS 15s for a decent price. I have several and they've all been good to go.

http://www.jgsales.com/m1-carbine-15...on.-p-402.html

The Privi ammo is okay. Use a soft point or HP for actual defense. For decent practice/plinking ammo, I've had good results with the Armscor fmj stuff.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 07-14-2017 at 08:00 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

A few years back the CMP released a large number of these that were arsenal rebuilt. They lack the import marks, the quality of the rebuilds was high and they should be good to go as shooters, mine are. Inland is the most common and I have never had a bad experience with one, Winchester and IBM are quite rare and expensive but will not be better quality shooters. I avoid promag mags at all cost, the Korean 15 rounders have worked fine for me but I have had trouble with some of the Korean or Phillipine 30 rounders. The steel case stuff works fine. PMC stuff runs fine, Aguila, UMC, but I cannot see an accuracy difference with any of the store bought ammo.

The ones Fulton sells are going to be good guns too.

Beware that there are some Korean imports or reimports with shoddy parts and corroded barrels, all will have import marks. I have seen some atrocious guns reimported by "blue sky" whoever that was. Navy Arms imported a large quantity in the 80's and they did some QA and repair on the ones they brought back from wherever, all of those I have seen were good to go. Avoid Iver Johnson or Universal at all costs, they are pure crap.
    Last edited by fatdog; 07-14-2017 at 08:06 PM.

Doc Roberts posted some advice on them here somewhere, a few years back.

Edit: found it here
    Last edited by Joe in PNG; 07-14-2017 at 08:55 PM.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

This thread is well timed. An M1 carbine has been on the short list for upgrading my wife from her current 10/22+30 round mag + CCI minimag combo.

What is a realistic price to pay for a functional M1 carbine?
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Nowadays, local gun show prices run in the 6920 plus a dozen PMags range.

The ammo is cheaper, too.

This makes me unhappy, I think an M1 carbine would be an idea SD/HD long gun for HH6.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

The M1 Carbine is a neat gun and handy AF, it would be really nice if someone could manage a decent replica for less than my pickup is worth. Years ago I got an Inland from Big 5, had some funky writing on the stock but someone on TFL was able to tell me it was someone's name written in Hebrew. From that we were able to put together that it had been a lend-lease to Israel. I wish I could pin down more of the history but just the name on the stock adds gobs to the cool factor.

Keepshooting.com has nice reliable 30 round mags for under $20. I hand load 30 carbine using the same powder, primers and projectiles that I use in 300 blk. I'm getting 1860 fps using 110g sierra varminters and W296. The same combo gets 2150 fps out of an 8 inch 300 blk SBR. My wife and 11 year old can easily handle the carbine, but have trouble shouldering and holding up an ar-15

I got a National Postal Meter M1 Carbjne from CMP years ago, and was among the best gun purchases I've ever made. $300 shipped to my doorstep. I added an ultimak rail for a Micro, and it is a viable option for HD if I didn't have better options available. I use only GI 15 round mags. Every other mag I've ever tried has been a piece of shit. I bought several cases of Aguilla ammo (also thru CMP) and have been very happy with the results. Check Gary's page on ammo, as he has some worthwhile insights in what to feed it for defensive purposes.

Mine isn't overly accurate, but it is sub-MOA (Minute Of Asshole) out to 100 yards and virtually no POI shift from fodder to performance ammunition. Neat little guns.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Nowadays, local gun show prices run in the 6920 plus a dozen PMags range.

The ammo is cheaper, too.

This makes me unhappy, I think an M1 carbine would be an idea SD/HD long gun for HH6.
    That's funny because every time run the "what semi auto centerfire rifle to buy" mental exercise, that's where I wind up. I have a slight preference for the 6720, but it don't make no never mind.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List