Thread: Mossberg 500 feed problem

Mossberg 500 feed problem

Guys,

So my Mossberg 500 isn't extracting the shells from the feed tube anymore. I did some googling and found that the little shell catch, or whatever it's called, needs to be adjusted by grinding it down a bit.

I'm not about to go messing with removing material from the gun.

Any other options before I take it to the local gunsmith?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

If it's the part I think it is(#11 on the diagram?), it's just stamped sheet metal. You could try a slight bend.

http://www.mossbergs.com/manuals/500_835_590_535_en.pdf

They're also dirt cheap. Buying a new one and swapping it in should be easy.

Also check that the follower isn't hanging up in the magazine tube.

I've never had to grind on anything to get a 500 or 590 running, and I used to be responsible for over 150 of them.

My first guess is the mag spring is dead, or the follower is jacked up or dirty, these are common issues since Mossberg started making their mag springs out of what appears to be recycled paperclips.

Wolf mag springs and the Vang stainless steel followers are highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    I've never had to grind on anything to get a 500 or 590 running, and I used to be responsible for over 150 of them.

My first guess is the mag spring is dead, or the follower is jacked up or dirty, these are common issues since Mossberg started making their mag springs out of what appears to be recycled paperclips.

Wolf mag springs and the Vang stainless steel followers are highly recommended.
    It's an old 500. I bought it second hand and was told it was a police trade in that was in service for decades.

Mag spring is fine, follower moves fine. The gun is clean. I'll look at this other piece that I guess can be bent.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    It's an old 500. I bought it second hand and was told it was a police trade in that was in service for decades.

Mag spring is fine, follower moves fine. The gun is clean. I'll look at this other piece that I guess can be bent.
    If you figure out what the problem is, please let us know. I am always interested in learning about these types of problems.

Thanks.

Joe Mamma

I'd just buy a new cartridge stop and cartridge interrupter. About 10 bucks each. While you're tinkering, +1 on getting a new Wolff mag spring and follower even though you don't need it. The mag spring on my Mossberg once bound up in the mag tube during a class. I never had a problem with the OEM plastic follower but the feel of it doesn't inspire confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpthestack View Post
    I'd just buy a new cartridge stop and cartridge interrupter. About 10 bucks each. While you're tinkering, +1 on getting a new Wolff mag spring and follower even though you don't need it. The mag spring on my Mossberg once bound up in the mag tube during a class. I never had a problem with the OEM plastic follower but the feel of it doesn't inspire confidence.
    Besides the Remington Nylon 66 and M16, I don't think plastic was used in guns when this was made . I'm going to take her down tomorrow and have a looksie.

Thanks all.

User Tag List