Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun Selection Advice

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    To continue the derailment: how does one tell how old an Ithaca 37 is?

I bought this because it is nice looking, feels great, is in great shape, is made of steel and walnut and nothing else, and was $200 versus the $800 they want for a new one.

I know little to nothing else about them. I didn't even have any 12g ammo - my only shotgun before this is a 20g Spanish side by side.

Attachment 18170
    Attachment 18171
    Attachment 18172
    Not sure if that is your serial number.

On the current Model 37 the serial number is located on the bottom right side of the receiver or on earlier models the chamber end of the receiver between the magazine and barrel.

http://ithacagunrepair.com/IGSN/IGSN.html

http://www.ithacagun.com/pdfs/serialnumbers.pdf
    Last edited by HCM; 07-17-2017 at 02:38 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Not sure if that is your serial number.

On the current Model 37 the serial number is located on the bottom right side of the receiver or on earlier models the chamber end of the receiver between the magazine and barrel.

http://ithacagunrepair.com/IGSN/IGSN.html

http://www.ithacagun.com/pdfs/serialnumbers.pdf
    The number shown is the only number I could find before, and is stamped on the barrel. However, on the end of the receiver, as you described, is stamped the same number, so I will assume that it is, in fact, the serial.

Thanks! According to the references you gave, my gun is a Skeet model, and is one of the last of that model produced. It's serial number dates to 1953. In pretty fly shape for a gun 9 years younger than my father!

I think it will be a fair-weather, nice area quail and dove gun, maybe a pheasant or two, and obviously, it must get in some rounds of skeet.
    Last edited by Duelist; 07-17-2017 at 03:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    NH Shooter has an 1100 that fits both categories.
    Thanks for the mention!

I took a 1187 Premier (polished blue metal and shiny wood furniture) with a 28" vent rib barrel (pressure compensating version), cut the barrel to 18-3/4", took an inch off the back of the stock and did the usual action tweaks (Wolff spring, upgraded follower, etc.). I also had the barrel rethreaded to accept the RemChokes it came with. It shoots everything well, including the Federal LE reduced-recoil buckshot and slug loads that I keep handy for quick deployment. She swings fast and is hell on skeet. :-)

I too would reach for my carbine first but would not feel at disadvantage in a closer range skirmish.

I did something pretty similar not too long ago. I found an old Wingmaster that had already had the barrel shortened and threaded for Tru-Chokes. So I had it cut all the way back to 20" and left at Cylinder bore with a new bead out on. At the same time I got an old Vent rib 26" IC fixed choke barrel. Also had the old recoil pad replaced. Out the door for about $100 more than a new 870 Express costs at Walmart with a much much better gauge.

It's not my only shotgun, but it'll do 99.9% of what I actually do with one.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Thanks for the mention!

I took a 1187 Premier (polished blue metal and shiny wood furniture) with a 28" vent rib barrel (pressure compensating version), cut the barrel to 18-3/4", took an inch off the back of the stock and did the usual action tweaks (Wolff spring, upgraded follower, etc.). I also had the barrel rethreaded to accept the RemChokes it came with. It shoots everything well, including the Federal LE reduced-recoil buckshot and slug loads that I keep handy for quick deployment. She swings fast and is hell on skeet. :-)

I too would reach for my carbine first but would not feel at disadvantage in a closer range skirmish.

Great illustration why fighting guns don't have to be FBPPs (Flat Black People Poppers)! Bill Jordan and Charles Askins Jr. would have been proud to have one like that down on the River.
    Last edited by coldcase1984; 07-17-2017 at 07:32 AM.
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

Shotgun Selection Advice

I have a old school ithaca 16 gauge. Love that shotgun. But the cartridge stop has failed on it. Need to order a new one. Try to rack a round and it always doubles. Spined my first buck with a slug outta that gun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Trukinjp13; 07-17-2017 at 02:25 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Thanks for the mention!

I just came for the photos of this gun

NH Shooter,you sir deserve a big pat on the back,you did a truly outstanding job.

Quote Originally Posted by RONK View Post
    NH Shooter,you sir deserve a big pat on the back,you did a truly outstanding job.
    Thanks to all for your feedback!

I had purchased this 1187 back in the 90s and other than some occasional skeet killing, it remained mostly a forgotten safe queen. It was a fun project and came out better than expected.

I also have a FBPP version (aka 1187P) but I prefer "HD Premier" version.

The 1187 sisters;

@ASH556

Late to the game but here is a thought. With kids and such, it is sometimes hard to come up with gun money. I think if you can swing a Benelli to go for it. There are advantages to a semi for defensive use and competition activities that you might try again when the kids are into guns when they are older.

You will always be able to find a pump shotgun cheap somewhere. If you are not in a rush, you can get one later to use for field and skeet and trap. I think those two guns would cover all your bases guns.

User Tag List