Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shotgun Selection Advice

Shotgun Selection Advice

In this thread, I'm asking for advice to compare two specific shotguns and determine which is best, most practical, and most cost effective for my needs/wants. I'd like to keep it to a comparison between an 870P trade-in for $265 and a used Benelli M1.

I've owned both 870's and Benellis in the past to include the following:
    870 Express VR Chopped

870 Wingmaster Rifle-sighted smoothbore

Benelli M1S90 in multiple configurations
    Untitled by ASH556, on Flickr

Benelli M1S90 SBS

I no longer own any of these shotguns. In fact, the only shotguns I currently own are a Stevens 311 .410 SXS (rabbits and squirrels) and a couple single-shot break-action 12GA's. So why do I want a shotgun? Well, it's a great social gun, meaning social activities like clays, dove, etc. It's also just a good staple gun to have around like a .22. As for a fighting gun, I think I would probably grab a carbine or pistol first, but I understand the usefulness (and shortcomings) of the shotgun in a fighting role and would like to have at least one.

The fighting to field crossover has always been the main hangup point for me. It used to be that 3gun was another (perhaps the main) factor as well, hence the Benelli configurations. However, with 3 kids now and just frankly "been there, done that, got the t-shirt" I don't really care about shooting 3gun anymore. As far as sporting crossover goes, Benelli barrels are extremely expensive ($350-$500) so it's not just as simple as "buy a used 18" M1 and pick up a 26" field barrel. I found the 21" barrel length to be a good crossover between fighting and sporting, but 21" guns are very hard to find on the used market and command a premium when you do find them. I don't care to spend the $1,200+ on a new 21" M2. So that leaves me with picking up an 18" 870P Trade-in from Summit Gun Broker and then picking up a 26" field barrel. There is one for sale locally for $100 right now; VR, threaded for chokes.

As much as I really love the Benelli platform, at this point I don't really need the performance or the cost. Am I thinking right at all? I plan to leave the 870P bone-stock, load it with 4 rounds of LE1321B, and stick on a velcro saddle with a couple more. When it's time to bust clays or birds, I'll unload the tube, rip the card (saddle) off the receiver, install a plug with the 26" barrel and go. Thoughts?
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Based on your analysis, I would agree with you. I think that sounds like the most cost-effective solution, and you have thought it through very well.

If you ever decide to resell the shotgun and spare barrel, I do not think you would have any difficulty recovering your costs. Especially with an 870P that has been properly maintained.

And Mark at Summit is a solid guy, as you likely already know.

NH Shooter has an 1100 that fits both categories. I built mine off of his. You can pick up a good 1100 for 300 do some screw in chokes for less than a hundred and get it back bored for 75. Or you could just buy the choke barrel you want.
    Having shot a lot of trap with an 1100 I can personally say 1100 every day all day. I've used it for bird hunting trap and home defense. The most I ever shot in a day was 500 and thats all I wanted. I personally wouldn't want to shoot an 870 over 25 rounds in a day.
    And I used a 28" barrel for clays and hunting unless it was goose then it was a 32 inch barrel.
    Last edited by UNK; 07-14-2017 at 04:48 PM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

The 870 sounds like a win, although I do love my 1100 and 11-87 police. You can pick. A used 11-87 up reasonable but not sure on extra barrels. Hard to beat a good pump for cheap fun. Love shotguns and I agree they're great for all kinds of work/social fun.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    As much as I really love the Benelli platform, at this point I don't really need the performance or the cost. Am I thinking right at all? I plan to leave the 870P bone-stock, load it with 4 rounds of LE1321B, and stick on a velcro saddle with a couple more. When it's time to bust clays or birds, I'll unload the tube, rip the card (saddle) off the receiver, install a plug with the 26" barrel and go. Thoughts?
    Seems like you have already made up your mind between the two guns. While not an ideal clays gun by a long shot, plenty of dove, quail and pheasant have fallen to an 870.

Site Supporter
    I just picked up an Ithaca 37 Featherweight with a skeet choked vent rib field barrel. I may get a shorter tube for social work and such, but I just don't see spending Benelli money for what is, for me, never going to be a primary defense gun. If I spent that much on a shotgun, it would likely have two barrels, fine wood, and maybe an engraved and coin finished receiver. I get the versatility, and I'm willing to explore it, but as of right now, if I grab a defensive long gun, it's gonna have a 30 round magazine.

I'd get that 870, or a Mossberg, or an Ithaca, or something.

A pawnshop Wingmaster w 20-in. RS RC barrel would work on 90 percent of anything you might need to shotgun. Plus older ones are certainly all steel.

I've shot a lot of crows w my IC RS 870 and a friend's CYL RS M1 Super 90, no problem. Add a 26-in. RC, you're at 110 percent.
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

Quote Originally Posted by coldcase1984 View Post
    A pawnshop Wingmaster w 20-in. RS RC barrel would work on 90 percent of anything you might need to shotgun. Plus older ones are certainly all steel.

I've shot a lot of crows w my IC RS 870 and a friend's CYL RS M1 Super 90, no problem. Add a 26-in. RC, you're at 110 percent.
    Good input, thanks! I actually ditched the 20" RS Wingmaster shown in my initial post because I found the sights too tall and had to use more of a chin weld than a cheek weld.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

the Franchi Affinity is basically the same as the M2 but much cheaper

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    I just picked up an Ithaca 37 Featherweight with a skeet choked vent rib field barrel. I may get a shorter tube for social work and such, but I just don't see spending Benelli money for what is, for me, never going to be a primary defense gun. If I spent that much on a shotgun, it would likely have two barrels, fine wood, and maybe an engraved and coin finished receiver. I get the versatility, and I'm willing to explore it, but as of right now, if I grab a defensive long gun, it's gonna have a 30 round magazine.

I'd get that 870, or a Mossberg, or an Ithaca, or something.
    Just FYI on the Ithaca, if it is an older gun, a spare barrel may not be a realistic option. barrels on model 37s made prior to the mid 1960s are not drop in / interchangeable like those of other pump guns or the more modern 37s.

User Tag List