Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: more 300 blk (optic related)

more 300 blk (optic related)

For any interested in helping me out I'm looking for some help/input in narrowing down an optic for my two 300 BLK carbines. I've been shooting them for a while now and feel like the cartridge offers enough performance to fit the bill for what I am looking to do, (GP carbine work to 500 and light hunting w/ in 150 yards). I am comfortable enough with the ballistic tables now I feel I know the cartridge well enough to move forward with buying dedicated optics for both. I've got some drop tables worked out which I'm posting, they aren't exact but are pretty close to where I'm at, at various ranges. I've been looking at several optic makers but can't seem to find one with BDC like I am looking for that more closely matches my drop table. I can't find the reticle info for many of the lines available from mfg's. I am really starting to wonder if I should just have a custom optic/semi-custom built but the issue there is I don't want to dial up corrections. I really want a plug and play solution. I don't care about running subs though it would be nice to have a subtention reticle for that. I've looked at Leupolds 300 blk optic but can't find subtension info for it. A 1-4 variable would be ideal IMO or 3-3.5x fixed would be fine. Trijicon has a 300 blk ACOG in a 3x30 and 3x35. Looking at their subtension info I'd be within 4.5" of POA out to 200y with the 100 yard crosshair, within 4" at 300 yards, within .5" @ 400, 6.5" @ 500 and 17.5" @ 600. The other option I am heavily considering at this point is a Leupold Custom shop build on a 1.5-4x20mm.

Things as I see it.

Cons for ACOG:
    1. Fixed power
    2. Cost
    3. Not flexible if I change cartridges again
    4. Not ideal for lowlight but still usable

Pros:
    1. Small and light weight
    2. Comes with mount
    2. Robust
    3. Good service and support
    4. No batteries
    5. supers and subs

Pros for Leupold build/factory offering:
    1. Custom turrets build to my specifications
    2. Ability to order new turrets should I change my mind in the future giving flexibility
    3. Good service should I ever have an issue
    4. Price point is better by small margin
    5. supers and subs for factory built.

Disadvantages Leupold:
    1. Not true 1x which I really want
    2. Larger, heavier
    3. Need to purchase mounting solution
    4. Having to dial up
    5. Small main tube (low light)
    6. Unknown durability, (only glass I've ever used from them was an Ultra M3A and a MK4 M3 though both were solid and the company does have a great reputation).
    7. Batteries require for illumination
    8. supers only for semi-custom/custom build

Side note: I've played with several different zeros and found a 190y zero to bring drop closest to reticle subtensions on the ACOG. Additionally I use a 175 yard zero for irons that let me get out to 500 so it's not much difference for the 25 yard offset I use initially before confirming at distance so thats a bonus.

Rough of my table.

Attachment 18095

Trijicon subtension info I used to calculate the differences.

Attachment 18096

If anyone can point me in a better direction as far as optics go I'd greatly appreciate it, right now I am leaning towards the ACOG but would really like a small 1-4 like the NF NXS 1-4. I hate posting and asking for help but I just can't narrow it down and there isn't anyone in my area to work this over with. Thanks in advance for any help you all can provide.
    Last edited by Mike C; 07-14-2017 at 11:41 AM.

I wouldn't touch an ACOG. Variable is the only way to go.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I wouldn't touch an ACOG. Variable is the only way to go.
    I've used them to great effect while deployed and feel comfortable with them. Hence why. Everything else I've looked at Milrad etc the reticle is cluttered and I don't want to approximate a hold over. Might as well have exposed turrets and dial up then which I wanted to avoid if I could but can't seem to find shit. Do you have a suggestion on where else to look?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    I've used them to great effect while deployed and feel comfortable with them. Hence why. Everything else I've looked at Milrad etc the reticle is cluttered and I don't want to approximate a hold over. Might as well have exposed turrets and dial up then which I wanted to avoid if I could but can't seem to find shit. Do you have a suggestion on where else to look?
    Me too on being issued and deployed with them but I know that they're obviated. I'll look around at what's out there.
    #RESIST

While I would not recommend shooting a 300blk past 100y, if you are so inclined then you should find an LPV (low power variable) with bullet drops for your particular barrel and load.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    While I would not recommend shooting a 300blk past 100y, if you are so inclined then you should find an LPV (low power variable) with bullet drops for your particular barrel and load.
    Without trying to sound like a dick that's exactly what I am trying to accomplish and why I'm asking for help/options as other see it. I'm just not finding what fits for my uses but I suck at internet shit and other than the limited experience I have with Army crap I don't know what's really out there and I have had no luck finding anything despite months of searching.

Site Supporter
    I have great success with Primary Arms scopes for best bang for buck. No, I would not carry one into combat but I am out of that business. I have used two PA 1x6 with ACSS reticle on 5.56 ARs and I have used the PA ACSS 4-14 on a 6.5G and a 308 - full disclosure, I have upgraded to Vortex Viper PSTs GEN 1 on the 6.5G and the 308 but not because of any issues with the PAs. I recommend you consider the PA 1-6 with the 300BLK reticle. If you want to spend more than that, maybe get a LPV Leupold and get their custom shop to install a custom reticle. I would also recommend an Aero Precision one piece mount.

http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-a...sfp-acss-300bo

Without trying to sound like a dick that's exactly what I am trying to accomplish and why I'm asking for help/options as other see it. I'm just not finding what fits for my uses but I suck at internet shit and other than the limited experience I have with Army crap I don't know what's really out there and I have had no luck finding anything despite months of searching.
    Also, without sounding like a dick, why use a round not developed for that distance and is more expensive than a 5.56 which can do it cheaper, better and more accurately out to the distance you are looking to shoot?

I understand you said "lite hunting 150" - you can use a 300blk for that no problem once you figure out your hold over for that distance - but 300yard plus with a 300blk? Why waste the money?
    VDMSR.com
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Also, without sounding like a dick, why use a round not developed for that distance and is more expensive than a 5.56 which can do it cheaper, better and more accurately out to the distance you are looking to shoot?

I understand you said "lite hunting 150" - you can use a 300blk for that no problem once you figure out your hold over for that distance - but 300yard plus with a 300blk? Why waste the money?
    I was genuinely trying to be nice just so we're clear. To answer your first question because I can and want to. I'm at the point where I don't care to have multiple configurations/uppers/mags/ammo or other crap laying around. I also don't care to load or feed more than 3 configurations/calibers. As for the cost, it is negligible. I have been sourcing multiple 308 projectiles from the same company for both my bolt gun and my 300 blk so cost isn't an issue. Accuracy, I would say is more than sufficient for what I want and need. If I want more accuracy I will run something else like my bolt gun. I get that this might be odd to some but really I give a fuck and since no one tells me where to spend my money, or what to carry or shoot anymore I'll keep moving down this rabbit hole until I'm satisfied. If I find something else that gets my attention later I'll move off but I am not driven by cost or anything else other than my specific wants or needs. This fits the bill for where I am at right now.
    Last edited by Mike C; 07-14-2017 at 03:13 PM.

I was genuinely trying to be nice just so we're clear. To answer your first question because I can and want to. I'm at the point where I don't care to have multiple configurations/uppers/mags/ammo or other crap laying around. I also don't care to load or feed more than 3 configurations/calibers. As for the cost, it is negligible. I have been sourcing multiple 308 projectiles from the same company for both my bolt gun and my 300 blk so cost isn't an issue. Accuracy, I would say is more than sufficient for what I want and need. If I want more accuracy I will run something else like my bolt gun. I get that this might be odd to some but really I give a fuck and since no one tells me where to spend my money, or what to carry or shoot anymore I'll keep moving down this rabbit hole until I'm satisfied. If I find something else that gets my attention later I'll move off but I am not driven by cost or anything else other than my specific wants or needs. This fits the bill for where I am at right now.

Right, this situation reminds me of an adage I heard a while ago, goes something like this...

A person will eventually get to where they need to go with no help at all. In that time they will discover a lot of truths and experience much. If a person is travelling from NYC to Miami, they will definitely get there if they walk, but it will take them many days if not weeks to do so. If that person drives, they will get there in a day or two, and if they fly it will only take a couple of hours. The person who has made the trip, by walking, will likely never walk it again, but opt to drive. The person who has driven the trip will opt to fly and the person who usually flies enjoys the trip, as it is the fastest and most direct route. The person who normally flies would never even begin to consider walking or driving as it is not only a waste of resources, but a great waste of time - which is the most precious resource we have as humans. As such, the person who flies will tell the person who is walking to fly, but it is not for the person who flies to make the decision to for the person walking, they have to experience the process for themselves. But, of course, they could listen to the person who flies and accept the truth of the journey, saving much times (and resources by proxy).

Good luck...
    VDMSR.com

User Tag List