Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Police Fitness Test Discriminated Against Women (CO)

Ultimately, if you want to be in the 1st violin section of a symphony, a jockey in the Kentucky Derby, a lineman in the NFL, an adjunct teaching modern languages at a community college, or a teller making change at a bank, then there are going to be objective performance standards that leave a lot of folks out of the running.

None of that stuff is life or death. We tolerate crushing physical standards in our games and our music entertainment, but have no use for keeping up standards where people could actually die and shit?

I'll go back to my lane now (again...)

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Ultimately, if you want to be in the 1st violin section of a symphony, a jockey in the Kentucky Derby, a lineman in the NFL, an adjunct teaching modern languages at a community college, or a teller making change at a bank, then there are going to be objective performance standards that leave a lot of folks out of the running.

None of that stuff is life or death. We tolerate crushing physical standards in our games and our music entertainment, but have no use for keeping up standards where people could actually die and shit?

I'll go back to my lane now (again...)
    Who do you think you are waltzing in here and trying to apply common sense?!?

There's nothing civil about this war.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    You aren't testing the lineman on his ability to do calculus or requiring the violin player to tread water for 5 minutes. A push-up test for a lieutenant in internal affairs is pretty similar.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    You aren't testing the lineman on his ability to do calculus or requiring the violin player to tread water for 5 minutes. A push-up test for a lieutenant in internal affairs is pretty similar.
    Name:  GC-03.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  48.2 KB
    Last edited by blues; 07-15-2017 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post

And defectives in IA never have to sit in an interview room and take statements from angry, derange and/or mentally unstable individuals (by a lot of their thinking that could be on either side of the badge). Citizens never go to IA with an axe to grind with the police.

The results of the worst beating that I've ever seen an officer take occurred in an interview room.

A pushup test isn't going to replace DT, but being able to do some pushups isn't a bad place to start.
    Last edited by txdpd; 07-15-2017 at 12:54 PM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Name:  GC-03.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  48.2 KB
    BBI said calculus, not geometry ;-)
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    BBI said calculus, not geometry ;-)
    And now you know why I didn't get a job as a mathematician. It appears some standards are in place after all.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    And now you know why I didn't get a job as a mathematician. It appears some standards are in place after all.
    Yeah, but the question is: which place?
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Yeah, but the question is: which place?
    Above my pay grade.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    And defectives in IA never have to sit in an interview room and take statements from angry, derange and/or mentally unstable individuals (by a lot of their thinking that could be on either side of the badge). Citizens never go to IA with an axe to grind with the police.

The results of the worst beating that I've ever seen an officer take occurred in an interview room.

A pushup test isn't going to replace DT, but being able to do some pushups isn't a bad place to start.
    24 pushups in a minute means you can avoid the beating? 10 means you take it? Detective A is 120 lbs and can do 30 pushups. They avoid the ass whipping from the 300 lb slob who can't tie his own shoes? You're right, it doesn't replace DT, and is not a measure of the ability to fight.

We've got a homicide detective with double knee replacement as of last year. Nearly two decades of major felony investigating experience. Force him to retire because he can't run a mile in 10 minutes? Female sergeant pushing 60, over 20 years in homicide, incredible level of knowledge of the various criminal enterprises and connections behind grudge and dope murders. Force her to retire because she can't do pushups?

Double up in the interview room. Post an armed deputy/officer outside the room. Suspects restrained to a wall chain. If you're officer safety plan is reliant on always being the biggest, strongest person in the room you're going to get fucked one day when you aren't. I interviewed a robbery suspect last week who's biceps were about the size of my thigh, and I'm a bigger guy.

User Tag List