Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Carry guns vs. critters

For quiet urban dispatch, i use a home made pyramid bow and cedar shaft arrows. This guy got brained with blunt tip made with .38 special case with some #7 bird shot in it and then hot glued over the shaft to give it some front weight similar to a broadhead weight.

Nice possum kill. That sure beats a baseball bat.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Back in the "Guns & Weapons for Law Enforcement" magazine series by Chuck Taylor on his jillion rounds through a G17 articles, I recall he took quite a few deer with the G17 with 90-147 grain jhp ammo.

Only animal I ever killed with a carry gun was a coyote with a Beretta 21a in .22 LR (I was young and didn't know better...) while shooting woodchucks with a TC Contender. I'd just hit a nice shot on a chuck at around 125 yards with the 14" barreled .223 TC pistol and saw the coyote run past me about 25 yards to my left. Little pocket carried beretta just kinda showed up in my hand and I dumped the mag at him on the run from prone. One round caught him in the head and he veered off hard into the swamp to die there.
    Last edited by jandbj; 08-13-2017 at 11:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post

I thought your not supposed to show illegal things on this sight, such as planting evidence that those deer had firearms and had to be shot.

Moving to the outskirts oh Durham NC next month and we've secured a house on 5 acres, 4 of it wooded, the front acre entirely fenced in...BEYOND EXCITED!!!
    Getting ready to install my first ever set of FO sights (Proctor Y notch), been debating red v green; with all the green around us, I'm definitely installing the red first.

Name:  NC2.jpg
Views: 718
Size:  102.2 KB

Name:  NC1.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  99.3 KB

Growing up in the country and doing LE for the past 21 years, I've shot all sorts of stuff with handguns over the years.

Put down lots of deer that have been hit by cars.

No telling how many critters......a metric ton would be a good guess.

But chipmunks were never on my radar....until my wife bought a bunch of bird feeders and put them too close to the house. I started noticing little rocks piled up in the flower bed near the back porch.......looked like the stuff they put down before they pour a slab.

Showed Mrs. Lwt16 what foundation repair runs and she authorized a black ops mission. Bought a havahart trap and got a few that way but my son's Marlin Lil Buckaroo with .22 CB rounds, bipod, and scope was much more effective. It took a while but I'm chippie free now.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    Growing up in the country and doing LE for the past 21 years, I've shot all sorts of stuff with handguns over the years.

Put down lots of deer that have been hit by cars.

No telling how many critters......a metric ton would be a good guess.

But chipmunks were never on my radar....until my wife bought a bunch of bird feeders and put them too close to the house. I started noticing little rocks piled up in the flower bed near the back porch.......looked like the stuff they put down before they pour a slab.

Showed Mrs. Lwt16 what foundation repair runs and she authorized a black ops mission. Bought a havahart trap and got a few that way but my son's Marlin Lil Buckaroo with .22 CB rounds, bipod, and scope was much more effective. It took a while but I'm chippie free now.

Many years ago, I had a squirrel infestation problem. Before I could patch a hole in the soffitt board, outside and above my son's bedroom window, we had a Squirrel Hilton in our attic. Compounding this was the fact that we were living in 1/2 a double house - the "other side" was a renter and in terrible shape, allowing the squirrels free access. This was before I had re-gunned and was reduced to borrowing my bil's pellet rifle. I sat at our picnic table on the back porch, and made two head shots, killing two of them. After I nailed those two squirrels, I never had another problem - like lwt16's "chippie free" situation. My question, after reading lwt16's post, is (keep in mind I"m a city boy, not a hunter, just a shooter): do these animals 'communicate' somehow? As in: "Hey - stay away from that place - we lost Fred and Ralph there just last week." A couple years later, because my dog cornered a pair of ground hogs, I had to do my Babe Ruth impression on them as they were hell bent on ripping my little guy to pieces. After I whacked them (with my son's aluminum little league bat) - never another issue.

Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    Many years ago, I had a squirrel infestation problem. Before I could patch a hole in the soffitt board, outside and above my son's bedroom window, we had a Squirrel Hilton in our attic. Compounding this was the fact that we were living in 1/2 a double house - the "other side" was a renter and in terrible shape, allowing the squirrels free access. This was before I had re-gunned and was reduced to borrowing my bil's pellet rifle. I sat at our picnic table on the back porch, and made two head shots, killing two of them. After I nailed those two squirrels, I never had another problem - like lwt16's "chippie free" situation. My question, after reading lwt16's post, is (keep in mind I"m a city boy, not a hunter, just a shooter): do these animals 'communicate' somehow? As in: "Hey - stay away from that place - we lost Fred and Ralph there just last week." A couple years later, because my dog cornered a pair of ground hogs, I had to do my Babe Ruth impression on them as they were hell bent on ripping my little guy to pieces. After I whacked them (with my son's aluminum little league bat) - never another issue.
    Oooooh, attic squirrels.......makes me cringe.

I had a bad experience once.......

My son, at the time, was about 13 or 14 and wanted a t.v. in his bedroom. So we got him one for Christmas and I was running a cable to it off of a splitter. My son had also told me "I hear scratching" at night and assumed it was a tree outside his window.

So I go climbing up in the attic and lo and behold, there's a big, fluffy squirrel up there running around, obviously hostile to any invaders to his nice, comfy, warm attic/home. I come back out of the attic to get a gun.....not just any gun but my trusty Ruger Mk III. You see, I can hit ANYTHING with that bull barreled .22 auto......anything. I load it up with the hottest .22 LR loads I have on hand and start the climb back up the attic ladder to assassinate this electrical wire, insulating eating, defecating vermin hostile rat with a cute tail.

Well, said vermin must have been talking to the other critters who knew of me or he/she had been watching too many tactical channels on Youtube. About the time I got my head and shoulders in the attic, this fat squirrel "pressed the fight" and charged right at my face!

I, of course, screamed like a little girl and nearly fell out of the attic.....pistol in hand, full mag, round in the chamber. My finger was indexed and the safety was on (for what may have been the first time since buying the thing).

After my wife and son were done busting a gut laughing at me, I climbed back in that attic with murder on my mind. I got up there just in time to see that dumb son of a sorry so and so run out a hole in the soffit. I figured I'd cut my losses and quickly patched the hole and never did get a shot at this tactical rat.

I drive by squirrels every day going and coming from work to home and always wonder which one it is. There is one that has a particularly cocky swagger and I have steered towards him several times. He always gets out of the way in time. Hopefully, his reflexes wane as he ages.

I loathe him to this day.

Regards.

Loose pitbull with a .38 158-grain LHP from my 3" Colt Detective Special. That's actually the only animal I ever shot with a pistol. Everything else was with a .410 single-shot shotgun.

(Im)patiently waiting for a stellar job opportunity to open up back in southeast Texas. If it does wife and I are hoping 10-20 acres of Texas will be ours soon thereafter. I expect I'll find myself going after hogs, deer in season, and lots of everything other little pest with my carry gun as we settle in. Lots of hogs in the area and my wife is an avid gardener...I definitely need to prioritize getting a suppressor. It'll be a lot easier to blast stuff with a P30 with a can on it.

User Tag List