Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Carry guns vs. critters

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Dang! That thing is the size of a small dog!!
    Those things can get pretty big. Which is probably how the bobcats get so big...
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Banned
    I didn't shoot this little bastard but I probably should have.

Site Supporter
    Old thread but I didn’t want to start a new one.

Last week was..... odd.

Tuesday night, light rain, dusk, the oldest dog runs out of the side door from the garage in his distinctive there is something bad wrong out here bark and growl. I grabbed my flashlight and new to me Colt Lawman I have been tinkering with. On the patio still light enough to see but the flashlight helps. I scan across the yard towards the garage end of the house. Then from around the corner of the garage steps a feral hog standing about 3 foot tall. “Oh shit” I exclaimed so loud my wife heard me inside the house. The hog just stood there looking at me. The colt was pointed at the hog while the hammer came back. Metal on meat, muzzle blast and recoil, that’s what the hog reacted too. A day later many buzzards on the property next to mine but a locked gate kept me from confirming a kill.

Thursday, headed to a graduation party, pulling onto the road we se a dog in the road. First thought was what’s Gus doing in the road. About 75 yards away I told my wife that’s not a dog, it’s a coyote. The yote is still walking in the road and looks like clumps of hair is about to fall off it’s body. Down goes my driver side window, turn the car till the coyote is between the mirror and door post, then draw my Glock 43. My first shot misses the coyote. The coyote just stands in the road looking at us. Now I know something is wrong with the coyote. Sight alignment trigger control with more concentration results in low behind the front leg hit. The coyote yelps and is biting at the wound. Repeating the above and the yote is hit a second time and flees the road.

Sunday, lunch is about the land on the table and I’m getting drinks ready. A casual look out the bay window at the patio to see a snake crawling up the window. As the wife was issuing the kill order I was going out the door with the snubby Lawman. Once outside snake shot replaced two 357 rounds before a hoe was obtained. So armed I pulled the snake off the window with the hoe throwing the snake in the yard. Said snake was dispatched with one round of snake shot.

Like I said....odd week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by serialsolver View Post
    Old thread but I didn’t want to start a new one.

Last week was..... odd.

Tuesday night, light rain, dusk, the oldest dog runs out of the side door from the garage in his distinctive there is something bad wrong out here bark and growl. I grabbed my flashlight and new to me Colt Lawman I have been tinkering with. On the patio still light enough to see but the flashlight helps. I scan across the yard towards the garage end of the house. Then from around the corner of the garage steps a feral hog standing about 3 foot tall. “Oh shit” I exclaimed so loud my wife heard me inside the house. The hog just stood there looking at me. The colt was pointed at the hog while the hammer came back. Metal on meat, muzzle blast and recoil, that’s what the hog reacted too. A day later many buzzards on the property next to mine but a locked gate kept me from confirming a kill.

Thursday, headed to a graduation party, pulling onto the road we se a dog in the road. First thought was what’s Gus doing in the road. About 75 yards away I told my wife that’s not a dog, it’s a coyote. The yote is still walking in the road and looks like clumps of hair is about to fall off it’s body. Down goes my driver side window, turn the car till the coyote is between the mirror and door post, then draw my Glock 43. My first shot misses the coyote. The coyote just stands in the road looking at us. Now I know something is wrong with the coyote. Sight alignment trigger control with more concentration results in low behind the front leg hit. The coyote yelps and is biting at the wound. Repeating the above and the yote is hit a second time and flees the road.

Sunday, lunch is about the land on the table and I’m getting drinks ready. A casual look out the bay window at the patio to see a snake crawling up the window. As the wife was issuing the kill order I was going out the door with the snubby Lawman. Once outside snake shot replaced two 357 rounds before a hoe was obtained. So armed I pulled the snake off the window with the hoe throwing the snake in the yard. Said snake was dispatched with one round of snake shot.

Like I said....odd week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    It happens.

Site Supporter
    I saved a turtle in the middle of the road. Picked it up and put it in swampy grass. Turns out this is turtle migration and mating time. Didn't need my carry gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I saved a turtle in the middle of the road. Picked it up and put it in swampy grass. Turns out this is turtle migration and mating time. Didn't need my carry gun.
    My wife did the same maybe a year ago. Ask her what her proudest accomplishment is and there’s a good chance that’s what she’d bring up.

Adding to this old thread, the only critter I killed with a carry gun was a rather large porcupine right off a branch, out of the tree at about 15-20 yards with a G26.
    Amazed that I hit it, it was dead on the ground after the shot. Federal 124 Hydras.
    Living if a very wooded area, we have all sorts trying to get to our chickens. A 1951 Marlin 39 Mountie it usually what's used.
    Raccoons
    Mink and martins
    Fox
    occasional feral cat.
    This weekend there was a bear who was interested. My shoutin' usually works, as the the two barking doggos, but he wasn't having any of it.
    A firecracker didn't work either, but three quick shots into the ground with the Mountie sent him packing. Persistent cuss. Beautiful bear tho, round 200-250 and very healthy.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

User Tag List