Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Carry guns vs. critters

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I'm not a fan of shooting possums unless I absolutely have to. It's a myth that they carry rabies
    Really? People don't know that possums don't carry rabies? I've known that for years and just assumed it was common knowledge.

I don't shoot any animal that isn't an immediate threat or intended for my dinner table. I even let the coyote that ran up on me last deer season. It was cool to me to see it in the wild. I heard it coming from a good distance off (thought it was a hiker and his dog), but once it got into visual range, realized what it was. From 25yds away, we looked at each other for a moment before he trotted off.

I did shoot a rattlesnake years ago, but that was because it would not vacate our campsite after we had been there, with tents up and everything, for 16hrs. We had nearly 10 people in the camp and couldn't risk a bite that far away from civilization. A GP100 with CCI snake shot took his head off from 5-6' away.

Chris

Site Supporter
    No pics, but I have a 3rd Gen Glock 19 that has the following to its credit:

Armadillos - 2
    Porcupine - 1
    White tail buck - 1

All were taken with one round each of Federal 124 HST +P at ranges from 12 - 20 yards.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Way back when,the summer of ‘69 I think, I was hunting groundhogs on a farmer friends property with my Walter PPK/S in .22lr.Said farmer called me over to his barn and asked if I had a gun. I said yes and he asked if I could “put down” a full grown dairy cow that had broken her leg in a groundhog den (the reason hunting was enthusiasticlly encouraged by said farmer!!)I agreed to try and and all it took was one round of .22 LR solids in the center of her forehead.( dropped her like a rock!!) Full Disclosure :my first shot was with a .22 LR HP.All it did was make her moo and shake her head.Maybe I get the record for the largest critter with the smallest gun!??!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by retdusm View Post
    Way back when,the summer of ‘69 I think, I was hunting groundhogs on a farmer friends property with my Walter PPK/S in .22lr.Said farmer called me over to his barn and asked if I had a gun. I said yes and he asked if I could “put down” a full grown dairy cow that had broken her leg in a groundhog den (the reason hunting was enthusiasticlly encouraged by said farmer!!)I agreed to try and and all it took was one round of .22 LR solids in the center of her forehead.( dropped her like a rock!!) Full Disclosure :my first shot was with a .22 LR HP.All it did was make her moo and shake her head.Maybe I get the record for the largest critter with the smallest gun!??!
    .22 is commonly used for such.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    No pics, but I have a 3rd Gen Glock 19 that has the following to its credit:

Armadillos - 2
    Porcupine - 1
    White tail buck - 1

All were taken with one round each of Federal 124 HST +P at ranges from 12 - 20 yards.
    A few months back I was on the entrance road to Karl Rhen's place on the way to a class with him. On the right was a pasture with a deer feeder and there were a few whitetails having breakfast. I was carrying a CZ-75 loaded with the same ammo and I was thinking, "I could make that shot, wonder if the ammo would work on one of those?" Now I know.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    A few months back I was on the entrance road to Karl Rhen's place on the way to a class with him. On the right was a pasture with a deer feeder and there were a few whitetails having breakfast. I was carrying a CZ-75 loaded with the same ammo and I was thinking, "I could make that shot, wonder if the ammo would work on one of those?" Now I know.
    I hunt from bow blinds and wait for undisturbed, stationary broadside shots. I deliver the shot like I'm shooting a shot for a group. Works very well...

Plus, think about this: if a load won't cleanly take a whitetail deer, a 120ish pound non-aggressive creature, how can we expect it to work well on a large, angry, evil humanoid?
    Last edited by Wayne Dobbs; 05-31-2018 at 07:30 AM.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

24 yards measured
    Hk P30v1 LEM
    Gold Dot HP 124+p
    10-8 RS
    DPT FS

Had my Sunday morning J frame on, and decided the distance was a bit sporty for the day. Retrieved the carry / nightstand gun with newly acquired TLR1 HL.

Name:  20190728_120256.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  100.2 KB
    Taking a break from social media.

Nickle 442 that was a retired NYPD detective's gun. Now my wife has claimed it as hers.

Not really a carry gun per se, but this old Model 15 has seen some time in the field and does duty as the bride's gun of choice for around the house.

It is a smoking accurate little thing.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Dang! That thing is the size of a small dog!!
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

User Tag List