Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carry guns vs. critters

Carry guns vs. critters

Thought it would be interesting to see any critters taken with your carry gun. This ground hog decided to approach the dinning room while we were eating dinner. I watched it over my daughter's shoulder, nose around the fire pit and waddle off. I politely excused myself. Critter was then added to the bone yard.

HK USP9c
    Speer GDHP 124gr +P
    18 yards measured

Name:  20170710_191123.jpg
Views: 1381
Size:  100.2 KB
    Last edited by CCT125US; 07-13-2017 at 10:18 PM.
    Taking a break from social media.

Site Supporter
    I don't have a picture but a jack rabbit fell to a Glock 27. We were riding in the boonies near Rock Springs, TX in a jeep. Said bunny was seen and one fellow opens up on it with a lever action 22 LR. Said rabbit is not impressed and charges towards us (must be from the same saucer that dropped of the rabbit that attacked President Carter). The rifleman lays down a fusillade of 22s at the rabbit with no effect. As he gets closer, panic ensues. I say - For God's Sake - unholster my G27 and remove the threat. It was tense, if the rabbit got among us and leapt into the jeep - who knows what would have happened!

I did hear a talk on how to fight bears or mountain lions if they get among you.

No pics, but I've taken a squirrel with a 1911 (jacknut came straight at me as I was stalking a deer trail through some pines. Put it between his eyes at 10 ft), and an Armadillo with a G19.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

I shot a deer, several coyotes, a few squirrels, and a bunch of bunnies with my 4" 29. Somewhere I have a pic with 3 rattlesnakes I shot with my little Smith stainless Centennial.

Oh, and I shot a rattlesnake in the house once with a 6" 29.
    Last edited by Malamute; 07-14-2017 at 01:45 AM.

Site Supporter
    Back in Ohio I used to shoot varmints with a rifle or carbine once in a while around the property. But shooting anything with a handgun other than for self defense seems like a great risk to your ears. Are you guys wearing earpro when you do this?

I shot a copperhead to protect my dog about 1987. 6 feet or so, night, Sig 220, Federal Hydroshock.
    This was in town. My next door neighbor, a WW2 infantry veteran, saw me the next day and said I heard you shoot and figured something needed killing. Gotta love old veterans.

When I was 16, 1973, I shot a squirrel for my dog to eat with a Colt MK4 Series 70 .45acp. About 15 yards, 215 gr semi wadcutter. It worked.

Site Supporter
    Leaving my house at night a neighbor's dog mauled a possum and left it in the driveway. It was obviously in pain and dying. Had my Ruger LCR in 38 special to dispatch it. Worked well.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Back in Ohio I used to shoot varmints with a rifle or carbine once in a while around the property. But shooting anything with a handgun other than for self defense seems like a great risk to your ears. Are you guys wearing earpro when you do this?
    I usually have foam ear plugs in my pocket, theres very few situations Ill willingly forego using them, including hunting deer or whatever. Just not worth losing any more hearing unless its a super serious matter.

Am fooling around with some 38 Short Colt loads for fun shooting and pest shooting without much noise. 125 gr cast bullet with 2 or 2.5 grs Red dot. Havent shot them yet to see which load will be best. Should be in the 600-700 fps range in most guns. 9mm dies seem to work fine. They look like rimmed 9mms.

I fired around many rounds of 12 ga when I was a teenager one day dove hunting.
    No ear pro.
    What was that?

While clearing my property of the old broken down chicken coops and what not the previous owner lovingly left behind, I lifted up a big piece of plywood and there sat the biggest Garter Snake I'd ever seen. It ended up being about 10 feet away from me when I shot it. Not being very fond of snakes I quickly drew my PPS from AIWB and nailed with my first shot of Hornady American Shooter 124gr +P. I did not knowing what type of snake it was till it was dead. I surprised my self on how quickly it all happened and actually hitting the critter.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

User Tag List