Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Input wanted- training a young comp shooter

Site Supporter
    Major in 2020. Sounds like a plan. Presuming he continues to hold in own, improve, might he be ready from some outside instruction to the extent that is not happening already.

I say this even if you are an accomplished shooter in that boys often can better accept/hear input from other “coaches” even when dad is saying the same thing. Food for thought.

Good on your from making him into the young man he is now and the man he will become.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Major in 2020. Sounds like a plan. Presuming he continues to hold in own, improve, might he be ready from some outside instruction to the extent that is not happening already.

I say this even if you are an accomplished shooter in that boys often can better accept/hear input from other “coaches” even when dad is saying the same thing. Food for thought.

Good on your from making him into the young man he is now and the man he will become.
    I appreciate the words and I agree. I take some pride in the coaching I’ve given him but he can definitely benefit from professional coaching. He has taken two basic classes from Tim Herron and Merle Edington. I need to get him to a more in-depth class.

He lost a lot of time in 2019 to a broken arm but still got to 59.57% in Limited shooting minor.

Coaching, more focused practice, and at least two level 2 matches is the plan for 2020.

Really great you have your boy shooting at a young age. As far as grip, I come from the Ben Stoeger school of thought which is to focus gripping the gun really hard with the support hand, and just firm on the strong hand. As far as doing well in USPSA matches, one of the biggest things that will quickly improve scores to learn to Analyze a stage, then strategize, memorize, and visualize. (More on this from Steve Anderson). Just that alone will eliminate “thinking” about what you need to do. I see so many shooters absolutely screw this up. I couldn’t recommend enough to listen to Steve Andersons podcast, he covers a lot of this in his podcasts. Good that he likes dry firing, that is another big key to quick success, again, S. Andersons book Refinement and Repetition, excellent dry fire book that is structured and makes it easy.

If you are really series about competing, I would also recommend joining Stoegers Practical shooting group;
    https://www.practicalshootingtraininggroup.com/. It’s a pay site but if your boy is into it, it has excellent content and your an even get personalized coaching from your videos by Ben Stoeger and Hwansik Kim

Good luck

I’ve been giving the PSTG thing some thought. It’s probably online coaching or a class. I doubt the budget will allow for both.

When he first started I wanted him to be very conservative with the 180. When he moved laterally he always dropped his support hand and rolled the gun. I’d like him to have the gun up and ready to shoot sooner so we’re working on keeping the support hand on the gun more. Obviously there are times when dropping the support hand is necessary or faster. My question is; do you have a rule of thumb as to when you drop your support hand to move and when you keep a two hand grip?

Student
    I vaguely remember this question being discussed in Kita Busse's book as well as Tim Herron's podcast. Warning: I'm a die-cast timmy and the last time I did anything in competition was an IDPA classifier in April, unless you count going to Tim Herron's practical performance in November.

From what I remember, the general rule of thumb is somewhere between three to five steps. Since we are taking our support hand off the gun in order to move faster, i.e. pumping our arms as if we were sprinting without a gun, I would guess the number of steps is less about distance to the next target engagement and more about how many steps you could move in the time it takes to get the support hand off/back on the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Quantrill View Post
    do you have a rule of thumb as to when you drop your support hand to move and when you keep a two hand grip?
    If I can cover the distance is 3 - 6 steps, gun stays up in my face unless there's something odd like a move uprange to my support side (I'm RH). Otherwise, it's time to run. The thing to train, if dropping the gun to run, is to bring it back up in front of the face with both hands before you finish your position entry.

As @Yung mentions, it's all about efficiency. Ideally you can set up a simple two target position exit and entry stage and time it at different distances between positions using both methods.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 12-30-2019 at 09:10 AM.

User Tag List