Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Shockwave vs Tac-14

Shockwave vs Tac-14

After a few hundred more rounds, I changed a couple things.

First, I ditched the Magpul forend all together. Switched to a Hogue overmolded forend. I like the more compact size of it, and I also like how, "grippy," or tacky it is.

I also ditched the FO front tube. Although it was screwed in and loctited in place, after about 60 rounds, it would start to spin out of its hole which was annoying. Also, the porting deposits a bunch of carbon soot, out of the ports and boom, onto the FO tube. Not a show stopper, but annoying. So I put a big, fat, brass bead in its place. I also appreciate the texturing on the grip, and if you have one, you would too. But I'm going to dumb it down with my mouse sander a bit on the web of my thumb contact area, as it gets eaten up raw by the texture. I put my hands into the mouths of HIV and Hepatitis patients regularly, and would rather avoid taking home any non-paying passengers (also why I shoot M&P's over Glocks...the M&P's don't damage my hands).

Mind you, I've never worked with a shotgun of this type before. I previously have shot conventionally equipped 870's extensively, for work and training, but nothing this short.

But I'm a high volume user. I've put between 200-350 rounds through this thing every trip to the range, recently, refining technique. And I like it.

As weaponcraft is a personal deal, you may find comfort and security in the hand strap concept of various executions. I'm quite content with the rubberized forend and the handstop/sling attachment point. I keep my hand firmly clamped on the proximal half of the forend, simply to prevent my thumb from getting near the porting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sherman A. House DDS; 09-03-2017 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Shpelling

One other thing...I have been getting good results using the Walmart Remington Express Brand OO Buckshot in this gal. I like the less constricted pattern, and I feel that's a bit more conducive to what this weapon's performance envelope is. With Federal Flite control, the pattern is great, but the spread is SO minimal, it's like shooting a pistol gripped rifle...less than ideal. But with the, "free range," Buckshot, the pattern is more conventional in shape and density, as well as spread. And, like I said, that's good.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    One other thing...I have been getting good results using the Walmart Remington Express Brand OO Buckshot in this gal. I like the less constricted pattern, and I feel that's a bit more conducive to what this weapon's performance envelope is. With Federal Flite control, the pattern is great, but the spread is SO minimal, it's like shooting a pistol gripped rifle...less than ideal. But with the, "free range," Buckshot, the pattern is more conventional in shape and density, as well as spread. And, like I said, that's good.
    I read someone else saying that same thing and I don't get it. It sounds like the old "can't miss with a shotgun" idea, but maybe I'm missing something.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I read someone else saying that same thing and I don't get it. It sounds like the old "can't miss with a shotgun" idea, but maybe I'm missing something.
    At the ranges I intend to use this, I'd rather have a volleyball size pattern (Express OO) than a baseball sized pattern (Federal Flite Control). Of course, if I spring for the tax stamp, and make this an SBS by adding a stock, I'll go back to the Federal Flite Control. BUT, with the short(ER) sight radius, and fewer points of contact, the wider pattern is an asset, I feel. Because you truly can, if you aren't very precise, "miss with a shotgun." Make sense?

At the ranges I intend to use this, I'd rather have a volleyball size pattern (Express OO) than a baseball sized pattern (Federal Flite Control). Of course, if I spring for the tax stamp, and make this an SBS by adding a stock, I'll go back to the Federal Flite Control. BUT, with the short(ER) sight radius, and fewer points of contact, the wider pattern is an asset, I feel. Because you truly can, if you aren't very precise, "miss with a shotgun." Make sense?
    Yes and no. Meaning that I understand your point, but the contradiction makes my head hurt. These shotguns are tough to aim, so you're hoping that you get a few 00 where they will do some good with a less than optimal hit. Yet you wouldn't accept that from a full stock shotgun. The question is: why go there at all?

These shotguns, sorry, firearms, are no doubt fun, but I don't see myself using one for defense.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Howdy Sherman. I actually considered the Hogue but supply on those was spotty. And by spotty, I mean I couldn't buy 50 at a time. We just did the first shotgun class in about six years. Interesting stuff seen. I am posting a video for educational purposes only. It has footage from the class. In particular is one gent that is a new PGO/Shockwave shooter. He is firing slugs at 25 yards with it, which I think is pretty good.

We had a type of buckshot I was not aware of called "Spartan". It was relatively soft shooting and had great patterns. Oh...on the grip...one gent had dipped his Shockwave in that rubberized stuff they use for tool. Interesting application for a rubbery-grippy type grip.

This was #1 Reduced Recoil Buck.

Name:  20170909_125901.jpg
Views: 1500
Size:  89.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe Suarez View Post
    Howdy Sherman. I actually considered the Hogue but supply on those was spotty. And by spotty, I mean I couldn't buy 50 at a time. We just did the first shotgun class in about six years. Interesting stuff seen. I am posting a video for educational purposes only. It has footage from the class. In particular is one gent that is a new PGO/Shockwave shooter. He is firing slugs at 25 yards with it, which I think is pretty good.

We had a type of buckshot I was not aware of called "Spartan". It was relatively soft shooting and had great patterns. Oh...on the grip...one gent had dipped his Shockwave in that rubberized stuff they use for tool. Interesting application for a rubbery-grippy type grip.

This was #1 Reduced Recoil Buck.

Name:  20170909_125901.jpg
Views: 1500
Size:  89.3 KB
    Hi Gabe! I'll check out the Spartan buck. I saw the video on your YouTube feed, and it looked interesting. I will get into a class with it at some point in the immediate future.

I've always like the Magpul stock for the 870...but the forend seemed like an afterthought. I don't want to hang a bunch of accessories off of it, especially on the Stakeout. For a full size shotgun, I dig it, but on the shorty, I like the low profile of the Hogue.

I hit the left part of the topstrap of the grip with my sander for about ten seconds, to dumb down the texture. The pattern you apply makes it much easier to hold onto. I wouldn't want to use a bare plastic grip. And I've got a good grip (thanks to pulling teeth daily). I see in the video that many folks have a sling on their Stakeouts. Does that sling socket plug right into the access hole of the shockwave grip?

You've built a fine weapon and a good program to accompany it, Gabe!

You've built a fine weapon and a good program to accompany it, Gabe!
    Thanks man. What I like about the MP forend is that it is long. Back in the day I added a wooden "sporting forend" to my 870 (didn't carry it in a cruiser rack when working gangs). The longer forend seemed to make working the action easier...I suppose something to do with leverages. The MP is slippery...which is why we add the texture.

We have two ways we are adding...actually three ways...we are adding the sling system. The front is basically either a QD or a metal loop. I prefer the loop as it is an added safety to the issue of losing the grip. I don't use a strap on mine as you see in the video. We have added a QD to the ass end of the grip, as well as added one of those big push button QD attachments as well. The third way is to use a loop attachment between the receiver and the pistol grip. I like having a sling, but having one that is easy to remove is also good.

In class, the guys using Stakeout type weapons kept up with the bigger guns pretty good too.

We have experimented with adding an RMR to the weapon. I know guys will scoff at it but we live based on wants not needs. The RMR makes a big difference.

Under NC law these firearms are not legal however almost every firearms dealer is selling them and will tell you that they are legal. I spoke with the Attorney General's office recently and they have a legal brief prepared and once it has been reviewed and approved it will make the firearms legal. Until then I will hold off on obtaining one or both of these firearms.
    Can anyone provide any further information on NC status?

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/new...-now-20-gauge/
    Tac-14 now in 20 gauge. I do love the 20 gauge... just need some more advanced buckshot

User Tag List