Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: Shockwave vs Tac-14

I took out my new Tact-14 yesterday with a mixture of slugs, buckshot and 7.5 shot. Function was great, very smooth. The slugs were low recoil and easy to shoot. The buckshot was a handful but manageable. Shooting at 25 yds (not the intended range) I tended to shoot high but I could still keep the slugs on target. I'm liking it and the next addition will be talon grip and then a flashlight.

Site Supporter
    I got one of the hardwood TAC-14's when a shipment made them briefly available at a large distributor.

Fit & finish of the wood isn't old world Remington, but I didn't have any expectations about that. Plastic trigger housing and guard, and the wood birds-head grip doesn't fit the receiver 100% evenly if you really scrutinize it but is solid and otherwise unnoticeable. The supplied nylon sling sucks, so I ended up re-purposing a surplus leather G3 sling that I'd bought for stupid cheap just to have more of the HK sling hooks. The G3 leather sling is a bit narrow for the sling holes on the TAC-14 but adding a leather sling is a big improvement visually.
    I think a surplus leather AK sling, likely Hungarian, with some modifications would be just about perfect to match the hardwood and I'll post pictures once I get that far with it.

I put about 60-70 shells through it last weekend. It was a ton of fun to shoot with a mix of leftover #7 and #8, but the pattern was definitely wide at the ~15yd pistol range I was on. That did make it really easy to roll soda cans around while shooting from the hip, though. You really have to hold on with both hands for good recoil control.
    3in 00 buck was definitely sporting as far as recoil was concerned, but patterned much better than the birdshot. I believe one could manage 3" shells with good recoil control but I'll be sticking with 2 3/4 for this gun, and going for the 'low recoil' option whenever possible.
    @JDM supplied me with a box of #1 Flite Control he had kicking around and I'll be trying that on the next trip and formally patterning the gun.

So far, worth every penny of the ~$399 street price!

One of my early heroes and mentors was a monster legend in the USMS. He carried and used a Witness Protection 870 a lot. I dug my old 14” Barrel Hans Vang made for me to run on my department shotgun back in the 90’s. I ll be grabbing a hardwood Tac 14 for it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 09-16-2018 at 02:27 PM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    I got one of the hardwood TAC-14's when a shipment made them briefly available at a large distributor.

Fit & finish of the wood isn't old world Remington, but I didn't have any expectations about that. Plastic trigger housing and guard, and the wood birds-head grip doesn't fit the receiver 100% evenly if you really scrutinize it but is solid and otherwise unnoticeable. The supplied nylon sling sucks, so I ended up re-purposing a surplus leather G3 sling that I'd bought for stupid cheap just to have more of the HK sling hooks. The G3 leather sling is a bit narrow for the sling holes on the TAC-14 but adding a leather sling is a big improvement visually.
    I think a surplus leather AK sling, likely Hungarian, with some modifications would be just about perfect to match the hardwood and I'll post pictures once I get that far with it.

I put about 60-70 shells through it last weekend. It was a ton of fun to shoot with a mix of leftover #7 and #8, but the pattern was definitely wide at the ~15yd pistol range I was on. That did make it really easy to roll soda cans around while shooting from the hip, though. You really have to hold on with both hands for good recoil control.
    3in 00 buck was definitely sporting as far as recoil was concerned, but patterned much better than the birdshot. I believe one could manage 3" shells with good recoil control but I'll be sticking with 2 3/4 for this gun, and going for the 'low recoil' option whenever possible.
    @JDM supplied me with a box of #1 Flite Control he had kicking around and I'll be trying that on the next trip and formally patterning the gun.

So far, worth every penny of the ~$399 street price!
    I really had no desire for any of these until I saw the tac-14 hardwood at an lgs. I didn't handle it, but it looked nice!

I’ll save the comments...yes, the 80’s called and want their gun back. I used some Witness Protection type Guns in the 80’s and had Robar build custom ones for a couple of my SWAT guys. I am super Retro happy. Could care less how “practical” it is. It is cool as hell and when wielded by a large snowbeard who actually has a bit of real time running one when according to the internet, we had no clue what we were doing.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.

Buffalo leather sling Serious Student got for my wife’s hunting rifle from a yard sale....I stole it. Because if you are going retro....go retro!

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    I’ll save the comments...yes, the 80’s called and want their gun back. I used some Witness Protection type Guns in the 80’s and had Robar build custom ones for a couple of my SWAT guys. I am super Retro happy. Could care less how “practical” it is. It is cool as hell and when wielded by a large snowbeard who actually has a bit of real time running one when according to the internet, we had no clue what we were doing.
    Why do you always have to be cooler than everyone else?
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Why do you always have to be cooler than everyone else?
    Because

Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    Because

I have a mustache and I'm not that cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Buffalo leather sling Serious Student got for my wife’s hunting rifle from a yard sale....I stole it. Because if you are going retro....go retro!
    Ain't nothing more retro than buffalo leather!

User Tag List