Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: Shockwave vs Tac-14

Quote Originally Posted by ricky_bobby View Post
    I agree, either the Wilson +1 or the S&J Hardware +1 are the top extensions that I would spend money on.

PSA had a great daily deal a few weeks ago for $269 shipped for a regular Tac-14 - If I was planning on bracing it, I would get the Tac14 just because of Remington's safety location.
    Agreed... I got the one from Wilson with the stud on the end, and it is solid. The Remington one just looks cheap... but completely based on pictures. Never saw one in person, so might be ok.

The safety is huge with a traditional pistol grip. The OEM grip... you can use with the Mossberg, but not a braced one. Pretty much, the safety is just left off in that setup. I had a JIC2 500, with Hogue pistol grip/forend, and that was a definite issue for me. I want to be able to engage/disengage the safety... not run it without anything in the chamber.

I originally wanted to get a second TAC-14, and do a rifle sight RMR combo. I liked my S/I folding brace, but heard some complaints about them installing traditional rifle sights on barrels... with it looking like ass (pictures I saw would never allow me to order one, but I’m also very particular with setting my guns up). I got the Remington barrel, but it is considerably lower than the ones on my 870 Police (higher than the bead... as I have a decent cheek-weld with the rifle sight barrel). Might just send the gun and barrels/grips out to Robar, NP3 Plus it all, then have a few options (I love the vent-rib look).

Here is what I did. TAC-14 Marine Magnum, XS tritium/white bead front sight, and Suarez folding brace.

Still working on best way to have POI be POA. Results with using the brace so the gun is an extension of the arm have been interesting. BTW, it is really easy to smack one's face with the TAC-14.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Agreed... I got the one from Wilson with the stud on the end, and it is solid. The Remington one just looks cheap... but completely based on pictures. Never saw one in person, so might be ok.

The safety is huge with a traditional pistol grip. The OEM grip... you can use with the Mossberg, but not a braced one. Pretty much, the safety is just left off in that setup. I had a JIC2 500, with Hogue pistol grip/forend, and that was a definite issue for me. I want to be able to engage/disengage the safety... not run it without anything in the chamber.

I originally wanted to get a second TAC-14, and do a rifle sight RMR combo. I liked my S/I folding brace, but heard some complaints about them installing traditional rifle sights on barrels... with it looking like ass (pictures I saw would never allow me to order one, but I’m also very particular with setting my guns up). I got the Remington barrel, but it is considerably lower than the ones on my 870 Police (higher than the bead... as I have a decent cheek-weld with the rifle sight barrel). Might just send the gun and barrels/grips out to Robar, NP3 Plus it all, then have a few options (I love the vent-rib look).
    Yeah I haven't decided and am still mulling it over - I have a couple Mossbergs already so Shockwave was always the natural choice for me, and I have been mulling back and forth of what I want to do. I LOVE the old school look of the Tac-14 in Hardwood, they haven't trickled out yet much but probably will be around $400-425 street price -

The Tac-14 and Shockwave both can be in the low 300's high 200's if you find the right deal. If I bought the Tac14 that wasn't the hardwood WP870 look, I'd have to brace it (for some reason although I applaud them for including it, something looks "off" on the factory T14 with the Magpul forend, maybe its because of the missing mag extension? Just an OCD thing to me) - whereas if I bought the regular Shockwave I'd be doing this (bottom) -

Name:  452ad6_b59bc2025c1c4723bb90661f4b5e1505~mv2_d_3024_3780_s_4_2.jpg
Views: 1564
Size:  24.8 KB

And then probably buying a second, and doing a Form 1 so I can put the Magpul SGA stock on it, considering a factory 590A1 SBS is $550-600 before you pay for the stamp, it might be worth it with what it costs to throw one of the nicer braces on (I don't like the plastic Ergo adapters, and the KAK blade is more for a softer AR than a 12 gauge, although it can be used) .

That's kind of where I'm at, I just don't know which to do first, indecisiveness is such a first world problem. Knowing how I am and that I own a bunch of Mossbergs already, I probably will buy one and do the wood on it, and keep it for what it is, a compact super easy to maneuver truck or woods gun. If the hardwood Tac14 trickles out in larger production I would consider it depending on the street price, although the controls on the Rem are not as friendly to me as a lefty than the Mossberg.
    Last edited by ricky_bobby; 08-03-2018 at 01:48 PM.

The main thing I like about Mossbergs over 870s is the placement of the action release. The dual extractors and lifter design are nice as well.
    I think that a Shockwave with wood furniture, an XSBD, and a Opsol adapter for Aguila minishells would be a hoot.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    The main thing I like about Mossbergs over 870s is the placement of the action release. The dual extractors and lifter design are nice as well.
    I think that a Shockwave with wood furniture, an XSBD, and a Opsol adapter for Aguila minishells would be a hoot.
    Agreed - I love the dual extractors, open elevator design for loading, and the action release is very natural for me as I don't have big hands, wood furniture and XSBD, no mag extension needed like on the Tac14 (it bothers me with Remington's short mag tube) - this is the route I will be going with the Shockwave to keep it compact - and as mentioned, with the right sale if one wants to pay $200 for a Form 1, would be 90% of a factory Mossberg SBS for about a $300 savings over buying a factory one and having transferred on Form 3/4
    Last edited by ricky_bobby; 08-06-2018 at 11:06 AM.

WOW maybe I'm still a beginner but I've shot a fair share of shotguns ( Mossberg 500, Benelli M2, Vinci, 1301 tac , A5) and I am familiar with the Rob Haught push pull technique, but I shot my TAC 14 with the Raptor head first with buckshot ( indoor range mandates only Buck and Slugs) and it was completely unmanageable, I got through about 5 rounds my first range trip.

Fast forward a few days and my SB tactical Brace adapter kit came in the mail and was installed, the firearm immediately felt much handier with that extra point of contact, so I went back to the range with an assortment of Buckshot and Slugs , The SB clear hull cheap stuff is brutal , the Winchester military grade OD hulls were less punishing but still pretty bad , and the Winchester Slugs .... fugetaboutit , My shoulder in thoroughly red and bruised today. I've never had this much punishment from any of my shotguns in the past. To add I'm a pretty fit young man who lifts weights and exercises pretty much daily for 10 plus years. maybe my technique is off I'll take a video next time I go.

Quote Originally Posted by BenM2Tac View Post
    WOW maybe I'm still a beginner but I've shot a fair share of shotguns ( Mossberg 500, Benelli M2, Vinci, 1301 tac , A5) and I am familiar with the Rob Haught push pull technique, but I shot my TAC 14 with the Raptor head first with buckshot ( indoor range mandates only Buck and Slugs) and it was completely unmanageable, I got through about 5 rounds my first range trip.

Fast forward a few days and my SB tactical Brace adapter kit came in the mail and was installed, the firearm immediately felt much handier with that extra point of contact, so I went back to the range with an assortment of Buckshot and Slugs , The SB clear hull cheap stuff is brutal , the Winchester military grade OD hulls were less punishing but still pretty bad , and the Winchester Slugs .... fugetaboutit , My shoulder in thoroughly red and bruised today. I've never had this much punishment from any of my shotguns in the past. To add I'm a pretty fit young man who lifts weights and exercises pretty much daily for 10 plus years. maybe my technique is off I'll take a video next time I go.
    IDK dude

Full power buckshot

Slugs

Perhaps??

I am still hoping for a Benelli M2-/M4-ish Whippet Gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I am still hoping for a Benelli M2-/M4-ish Whippet Gun.
    Black Aces did a few 1100s on virgin receivers...

I just ordered a Tact-14. When I get it I'll post a shooting review.

User Tag List