Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Shockwave vs Tac-14

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    I leave the brace on mine, but do have the original grip. To an extent, there are roles where just the grip (no brace) is superior. Namely, vehicle roles or others where space is limited.

I’m sending my setup out for NP3 Plus in the near future. I’m considering getting another TAC-14 (I have a rifle up for sale that I want to get money for, but did put a TAC-14 as a trade option), toss on a Remington rifle sight barrel, and have a RMR mount added. Then, I’d get that done in NP3 Plus, so I’ll have a brace assembly that could go with either firearm. The bead barrel is awesome, but if I go RMR... the bead is worthless. Rifle sights put that sight plane in the RMR window.

In regards to shouldering the brace... not a concern of mine. I bought it as a brace, not a stock. If I want to put a stock on a TAC-14... I’ll file the paperwork (in a state that allows it) and wait for the tax stamp to come back. If I need to use it in a defensive situation, I’ll worry about that legal issue if it arises afterwards. If it is a good shoot, that isn’t as big of a concern as if it were a bad shoot... charges get a little worse in that scenario.
    About stocks and legal issues and good shoots, I urge you to rethink your logic. Why risk unnecessary involvement with the criminal justice system and possibly losing 2A rights plus spending $1000s? Instead make use of what's legal in your area.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    About stocks and legal issues and good shoots, I urge you to rethink your logic. Why risk unnecessary involvement with the criminal justice system and possibly losing 2A rights plus spending $1000s? Instead make use of what's legal in your area.
    Who said any of it is illegal in my area?

What I said specifically touched on shouldering, which is currently legal... per latest ATF letters.

Site Supporter
    I apologize for misreading your post. I was confused about the last two sentences in the 2nd paragraph. My reading comprehension may be subpar.

Anyone know the lop on these braces, specifically the one of the factory tac 14?

They seem to be legal in my state now. How uncomfortable is it versus a Magpul SGA?

Quote Originally Posted by DanJ View Post
    Anyone know the lop on these braces, specifically the one of the factory tac 14?
    My S/I folding brace has about 13.5” length of pull.

No idea on factory...

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Vang Comp will silver-solder Remington rifle sights on the Shockwave for around $200. If one was serious about using one of these as a defensive weapon I'd have them perform that service and I'd put XS' Remington rifle sights on it.

I bought a take-off Rem 700 rear sight from a gun show parts box or gunsmith somewhere in the past and had it milled to fit my Win model 12 barrel contour and sweated on, and used a Williams Shorty shotgun ramp for the front. Looking at these short guns, I think Id do similar, but perhaps with as low of a front ramp as i could, they list down to 1/8" for the Shorty ramps. Ive had all my front sights sweated and screwed on when adding them to various rifles and the model 12.

There used to be someone making a small, basic screw on dovetail rear sight base, but searching hasnt revealed its existence. The Williams Guide open rear would work, but is alloy, and not sure it would sweat on.

In discussing these short guns shooting high, are people trying to aim with some point on the receiver and the bead? Ive always just sort of looked over the bead or rifle sights when shooting moving stuff or airborn clays, adjusting the hold as needed once the point of impact/pattern was figured out.

Way back in the 1900s I came into a cheap single barrel shotgun cut down to legal length, meaning no real usable amount of stock left. It wasnt all that difficult to hit cans thrown in the air shooting with both hands held out as seems the method preferred with the short guns now. I have no problem believing one of these current guns would be fine as a car, house or yard gun, or for snakes when tooling around the desert country, or perhaps camping near the border. It would also be fun to bunny or perhaps bird hunt with. Id be interested in the 20 ga for the geezer/gimp factor.

Has anyone tried a single point sling mount on the left rear part of the receiver? I'm thinking similar to the old carbine sling (saddle ring) style (1860s-70s version) used with a sling looped over one shoulder and clipped to the ring. More utilitarian than concealed.
    Last edited by Malamute; 07-03-2018 at 08:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I bought a take-off Rem 700 rear sight from a gun show parts box or gunsmith somewhere in the past and had it milled to fit my Win model 12 barrel contour and sweated on, and used a Williams Shorty shotgun ramp for the front. Looking at these short guns, I think Id do similar, but perhaps with as low of a front ramp as i could, they list down to 1/8" for the Shorty ramps. Ive had all my front sights sweated and screwed on when adding them to various rifles and the model 12.

There used to be someone making a small, basic screw on dovetail rear sight base, but searching hasnt revealed its existence. The Williams Guide open rear would work, but is alloy, and not sure it would sweat on.

In discussing these short guns shooting high, are people trying to aim with some point on the receiver and the bead? Ive always just sort of looked over the bead or rifle sights when shooting moving stuff or airborn clays, adjusting the hold as needed once the point of impact/pattern was figured out.

Way back in the 1900s I came into a cheap single barrel shotgun cut down to legal length, meaning no real usable amount of stock left. It wasnt all that difficult to hit cans thrown in the air shooting with both hands held out as seems the method preferred with the short guns now. I have no problem believing one of these current guns would be fine as a car, house or yard gun, or for snakes when tooling around the desert country, or perhaps camping near the border. It would also be fun to bunny or perhaps bird hunt with. Id be interested in the 20 ga for the geezer/gimp factor.

Has anyone tried a single point sling mount on the left rear part of the receiver? I'm thinking similar to the old carbine sling (saddle ring) style (1860s-70s version) used with a sling looped over one shoulder and clipped to the ring. More utilitarian than concealed.
    Back in the 1900's, I had occasion to be issued a 14" 870 with a bird's head grip and a single point sling. The sling made it much easier to get hits.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Interesting point. Thank you for bringing it up.

Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore has the regular TAC-14 for $279 with free shipping until Monday. https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst....cfm/ID/194252

The 20-gauge TAC-14 is $289 with free shipping until Monday. https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst....cfm/ID/201784

I finally broke down and ordered one. For that price, I can SBS it and have less into it than a new eighteen-inch 870P.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    For that price, I can SBS it and have less into it than a new eighteen-inch 870P.
    I hear you, but SBS means NFA.

Brace isn’t a stock, but you don’t have NFA stuff to worry about. I’d say give it a shot before filing the paperwork.

I just got a Remington rifle sight barrel for mine... compared to the vent rib barrel, it raises up the line of sight a little bit.

User Tag List