Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Shockwave vs Tac-14

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    If you're concerned about that, you should also be concerned that you could bolt the 500 buttstock on the Shockwave, no?

The solution for your concern is to buy the 870, then nothing interchanges.
    That's a good point, and I think you are correct. 870 it is.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Two posts is all it took for me to imagine this shotgun on a custom leather sling, with a pair of Colt Dragoons or SAA's in matching custom leather on the belt. I imagine a sport coat, cowboy hat, and a proper pair of boots would be involved too.

Perhaps with a Winchester 1895 big bore lever gun to round out the ensemble.

Yep, damn it, I'm buying one of these.
    How about a last man standing rig?

Or the Andrews Custom leather firepower rig?

Site Supporter

I don't think they have shipped yet but has anyone had time with the 20ga Shockwave? Looking at one for the better half.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    So here's a question:

Will the 14" barrels on either the shockwave or the Tac-14 screw right onto a regular Mossberg 500 or Remington 870?

Before anybody gets in a tizzy, I'm not asking so I can assemble an off the books NFA item. Quite the opposite. I think since I own a regular Mossberg 500, I DON'T want to own a shockwave, if the barrels interchange. The odds of some kind of "constructive possession" rip are low, but the stakes are high...
    This can be pretty complicated, but the short answer is that as long as every part can be used in a legal configuration, you should not be in violation of the NFA. So, a complete regular 500 plus complete Shockwave is ok, but owning a regular 500 and just a 14" barrel is not. This also assumes that the Shockwave is an original factory gun. It would not be legal to construct a Shockwave configuration firearm from a regular 500 that left the factory with a stock. That would be making a "weapon made from a shotgun" without complying with the making tax and registration provisions of the NFA.

Please be advised that this is not legal advice and no attorney-client relationship is expressed or implied by this message.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    This can be pretty complicated, but the short answer is that as long as every part can be used in a legal configuration, you should not be in violation of the NFA. So, a complete regular 500 plus complete Shockwave is ok, but owning a regular 500 and just a 14" barrel is not. This also assumes that the Shockwave is an original factory gun. It would not be legal to construct a Shockwave configuration firearm from a regular 500 that left the factory with a stock. That would be making a "weapon made from a shotgun" without complying with the making tax and registration provisions of the NFA.

Please be advised that this is not legal advice and no attorney-client relationship is expressed or implied by this message.
    I appreciate that, but I'm really just more interested in knowing if the barrel will drop onto a regular 500. I'm quite familiar with the legal issues around constructive possession. My take away from US vs Thompson-Center Co is very different from everybody else's, and I'm deeply uninterested in debating that, I'm just curious if the barrels swap directly, although as has been pointed out, the stocks are an issue too.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I appreciate that, but I'm really just more interested in knowing if the barrel will drop onto a regular 500. I'm quite familiar with the legal issues around constructive possession. My take away from US vs Thompson-Center Co is very different from everybody else's, and I'm deeply uninterested in debating that, I'm just curious if the barrels swap directly, although as has been pointed out, the stocks are an issue too.
    I definitely get that. It's one of those cases where many have adopted the reasoning of the concurring opinion, rather than the plurality, which is probably wishful thinking on our part. There is also obviously the problem of states that have a prohibition on short-barrel shotguns with definitional variances that may affect the legality of various firearms/configurations. My understanding is that the Shockwave receiver takes regular stocks/barrels.
    Last edited by joshs; 02-09-2018 at 04:19 PM.

Has anyone really wrung one of these out yet? Like on a timer with standard exercises?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Has anyone really wrung one of these out yet? Like on a timer with standard exercises?
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    I don't think they have shipped yet but has anyone had time with the 20ga Shockwave? Looking at one for the better half.
    I traded my 12 gauge version for the 20 gauge and have 200 rounds of assorted ammo through it. For me it's easier than its big brother to use. I prefer the gun's lighter weight and the 20 gauge's lower recoil. I selected ammo based on lower recoil shot/powder combinations. Buckshot is manageable. Over the years I've burned up a bunch of ammo shooting pistol gripped shotguns and had great fun. I probably do shoot them well but admit that I see small utility for them.

Site Supporter
    Has any body seen the wood stocked tac-14 in person?

User Tag List