Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Shockwave vs Tac-14

Quote Originally Posted by shane45 View Post

Enter the Origin. That piece just gives me the wants!!!! But Im trying to rationalize the utility of it. I guess it has the same merits of a shockwave. But ticket for admission is rather high. I guess where I really get wrapped around the axle is trying to figure out when I would actually pick this tool over my Tavor? (other than just the fun of shooting it)

If you have a Shockwave already, I would just get an SBT brace for it - the SBL looks the bees knees IMO and its made for the Tac14 and the Shockwave - street price is around $160 and it still classifies as a firearm similar to AR Pistols -

https://www.sb-tactical.com/product/590-sbl/

Name:  590_L_Left_5310-ghosted60-web.jpg
Views: 1108
Size:  15.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    The problem I see with XS big dots for shotguns is that they don’t stay in place. The epoxy on models come off with normal handling. The brass bead threads on. It’s not coming off easily.

civiliandefender.com
    The xs dot is on there pretty good. There is a bead under the sight, threaded in. The jbweld fastens the sight to to the bead and barrel.

I've used them in the past and feel pretty confident
    Attachment 24308

Deer Hunting with Mossberg Shockwave and Remington Low Recoil 00 Buckshot

Published to YouTube on Jan 1, 2018 by Brobee223

Well, I bit the bullet and went further down the TAC-14 rabbit hole...

I am very impressed with the design of the folding mechanism of the Suarez International Folding Brace. When you see guys doing push-ups while balancing on the magazine of an AK... the sturdiness of it gives me that feeling.

It is very solid.

So what is the the collective forum opinion/outlook on the use of an arm brace with the TAC-14? I got to try a TAC-14 equipped with the SBL over the weekend, and I had to consciously force myself more than once to not shoulder the thing. My understanding is that is a federal "No-no", punishable under the auspices of the NFA. When I tried to use the arm brace as an arm brace, my shooting was, shall we say, less than acceptable. I then followed up with a SBS 870 and had no issues, which is not surprising since I am always shooting 870 shotguns, including my 870 trap guns and my social guns. I then tried the TAC-14 as issued by Remington without the brace and started to get the hang of it. Not like the SBS 870, but that is thirty years of stocked 870 usage, including way too many rounds of trap. Since Dr. House has shown that the TAC-14 can be accurately shot and my results were not entirely frustrating, it suggests the arm brace is not necessary.

I do not want to be trolling, but it looks like the arm brace relies on whatever interpretation of the NFA that the BATFE decides is current. Quite frankly, that scares me. If I did have the misfortune to use an "arm brace" TAC-14 for defense, I could foresee having to deal with even more (federal) issues than any other shooting would cause. Same with a 870 SBS in terms of the civil case that may follow as people around here look askance at SBS, and the jury is everything with a civil case. Yet the TAC-14 is remarkably popular. Not sure I get it, but it is what it is. Until now, I have stayed with the regular 18.5-inch, shoulder stocked 870P, but the shorter barrel has its appeal.
    Last edited by farscott; 06-18-2018 at 07:28 AM.

Their interpretation is just that. It isn't law.

The law is clear and you can shoulder a brace.

Site Supporter
    ATF's interpretation is documented. The way I see it is that the owner should be more concerned with state and local laws that prohibit or might in the future prohibit ownership of these weapons with or without the brace. The farscott's full stock 870P trumps the Shockwave type guns in most respects except handiness. I love my 20 ga Shockwave and look forward to owning the 410 version. But remember this. I also bought a S&W Governor. I would write more. I'm on my way to a dirt clod and stump shooting contest so must hurry. If I remember correctly, 03RN applied brace and red dot to his Shockwave and has developed an effective combination, one that places him several notches above my category.
    Last edited by willie; 06-18-2018 at 01:17 PM. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    ATF's interpretation is documented. The way I see it is that the owner should be more concerned with state and local laws that prohibit or might in the future prohibit ownership of these weapons with or without the brace. The farscott's full stock 870P trumps the Shockwave type guns in most respects except handiness. I love my 20 ga Shockwave and look forward to owning the 410 version. But remember this. I also bought a S&W Governor. I would write more. I'm on my way to a dirt clod and stump shooting contest so must hurry. If I remember correctly, 03RN applied brace and red dot to his Shockwave and has developed an effective combination, one that places him several notches above my category.
    No brace on mine

I leave the brace on mine, but do have the original grip. To an extent, there are roles where just the grip (no brace) is superior. Namely, vehicle roles or others where space is limited.

I’m sending my setup out for NP3 Plus in the near future. I’m considering getting another TAC-14 (I have a rifle up for sale that I want to get money for, but did put a TAC-14 as a trade option), toss on a Remington rifle sight barrel, and have a RMR mount added. Then, I’d get that done in NP3 Plus, so I’ll have a brace assembly that could go with either firearm. The bead barrel is awesome, but if I go RMR... the bead is worthless. Rifle sights put that sight plane in the RMR window.

In regards to shouldering the brace... not a concern of mine. I bought it as a brace, not a stock. If I want to put a stock on a TAC-14... I’ll file the paperwork (in a state that allows it) and wait for the tax stamp to come back. If I need to use it in a defensive situation, I’ll worry about that legal issue if it arises afterwards. If it is a good shoot, that isn’t as big of a concern as if it were a bad shoot... charges get a little worse in that scenario.

User Tag List